U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2018, 10:43 AM

31,652 posts, read 19,962,004 times

Advertisements

Everyone's "frugal' is different. I've always had a mileage credit card and stuff like that.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2018, 10:51 AM

23,747 posts, read 8,251,498 times
I'm not a spendthrift and consider myself thrifty and generous when I can be even though I live on a pretty lowish senior budget...didn't make bookoo money in my working life and was NOT a big saver...but enjoyed what I did and still do, and it's all pretty limited but I don't feel I've missed anything. Don't love the hectic world of travel ..it was all easier years ago and NOW, good grief.

Old 02-20-2018, 11:12 AM

7,316 posts, read 4,157,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtGibson View Post
Now mind you, when I say "frugal", I don't mean "cheap."

I'm a retired physician, and I've got over $1 MM across my retirement accounts...

But I'd rather leave the bulk of my money in my grandkids education trust, while living the retirement I always dreamed of.

So that might mean I visit Paris, but I save a few bucks by negotiating a low rate on Trivago or Kayak (thank you, TheShadow)...

Or getting the charge card with the maximum airline miles...
No one's suggested specific travel credit cards to you yet, but I'm going to stick my neck out and do so. Look at the combo of Chase Freedom Unlimited (no annual fee) + Chase Freedom (no annual fee) + either Chase Sapphire Preferred ($95 annual fee) or Chase Sapphire Reserved ($400 annual fee). (Note: you need one of the later two cards for my strategy to work!)

All these cards earn Ultimate Rewards points. Chase Freedom earns 1.5 points per dollar spent. Chase Freedom earns 5 points per dollar spent on rotating bonus categories (capped at $1500 per quarter) and 1 point per dollar spent on everything else. Chase Sapphire Preferred earns 2 points per dollar spent on dining and travel, and 1 point per dollar spent on everything else. Chase Sapphire Reserved offers 3 points per dollar spent on dining and travel, and 1 point per dollar spent on everything else - and while its annual fee is high, you get $300 of travel expenses reimbursed annually (so the true fee is $150/year) and it offers a lot of ancillary travel benefits (like primary collision insurance on rental cars), so depending on your travel habits it may be a better choice for you. So if you use either the Chase Sapphire Preferred or Reserve for dining and travel expenses, the Chase Freedom on whatever the 5x bonus categories are that month, and the Chase Freedom Unlimited for everything else, you max out on Ultimate Rewards Points.

Now, the Chase Freedom and Freedom Unlimited points are intended to be used for cash back. BUT - if you have on of the Sapphire cards, you can transfer the Ultimate Rewards points from the Freedom cards to the Sapphire Preferred or reserve card, which magically turns them into Ultimate Rewards points that can be transferred to hotel and airline partners. The main hotel partners are IHG (Holiday Inn and others) and Hyatt, and the most useful airline partners are United (which allows you to book not only domestic tickets, but international tickets on any carriers in the Star Alliance) and Southwest (domestic and Caribbean).

The miles and points game takes some work and some know-how, but there are significant savings to be had if you are willing to play it. And especially if you can be flexible on travel destinations and dates, it can save you a ton of money, and allow you to fly internationally in business class or even first class seats instead of in the cramped economy class section where you have to try to sleep sitting up.

Flyertalk is the best massage board to learn about the points and miles game, if you're interested. But you wan't go too far wrong with the above card combination as a starter. Get one card at a time, so you can be sure you'll be able to spend enough to get the introductory signup points for each!

Old 02-20-2018, 11:12 AM

7,253 posts, read 4,136,323 times
Quote:
What is your plan, Erik?

Kurt

My plan is to enjoy my retirement. I have a winter home in Arizona, so I can escape the cold winters. And I bought a travel trailer so I can travel more extensively.

Old 02-20-2018, 11:19 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,213,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
My plan is to enjoy my retirement. I have a winter home in Arizona, so I can escape the cold winters. And I bought a travel trailer so I can travel more extensively.
same plan here but in FL......take my travel trailer off to Colorado, Wyoming, Utah, NM during summer months......if I had to, I could live in it full time and ditch the house....minimalist style, but that's not needed.....there are millions of Americans who've gone fulltime in RVs out of necessity or/and for a sense of adventure.

Old 02-20-2018, 11:22 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XonAx8vQQg

Old 02-20-2018, 11:28 AM

8,047 posts, read 5,891,914 times
Quote:
Hi. Not new here, been stalking for a few months. Just made an account. My first thread post here.
<>
It is called lurking. Stalking is different.
Maybe drop your internet connection?
I once asked the manager of a large Eastern ski are why he had no senior discount? His reply was, "Because they have all the money."
Spend it or lose it.

Old 02-20-2018, 11:33 AM

8,047 posts, read 5,891,914 times
My SO and I can have a nice dinner at Wendy's' for $5.00 for the both of us. Get a senior soda (refillable) and buy the free Frosty tab for $2.00, good for a year. We split the Frosty and add root beer from the soda machine for a free Root Beer float for desert.
Movies are mid week matinees with senior seats.
Some States give property tax discounts that your heirs will have to pay off.
Dinner at cafeterias have discount times.
Buy your clothes at thrift stores. You can find brand new dead guys' stuff very cheap, hardly used.

Old 02-20-2018, 11:37 AM

7,316 posts, read 4,157,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Movies are mid week matinees with senior seats.
Several of my local cinemas have movie rewards programs that are free to join, and one of the perks is discounted tickets every Tuesday evening (as well as savings on popcorn and such).

Old 02-20-2018, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
It is called lurking. Stalking is different.
Maybe drop your internet connection?
I once asked the manager of a large Eastern ski are why he had no senior discount? His reply was, "Because they have all the money."
Spend it or lose it.
If these businesses offering senior discount coffees only knew.....I really could have used that discount when I was an 20 yr old college kid with little to my name or bank acct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or