U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 01:56 PM

1,570 posts, read 2,753,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Hampton Inn is part of the Hilton hotel family. If your mother hasn't joined the Hilton Honors program, tell her she should. Then she'll earn points with every stay, which eventually add up enough to get a free night. (Toss a Hilton credit card in the mix and she'll earn points even faster, plus gain some low-level status with Hilton.)
OMG if we are talking points progams Hilton is the worst of the worst. Every other one is better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2018, 02:27 PM

7,325 posts, read 4,172,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponytrekker View Post
OMG if we are talking points progams Hilton is the worst of the worst. Every other one is better.
Not if you regularly stay at Hilton properties, they aren't.

That's the thing about the miles and points game: which miles and points to collect depends hugely on your own personal travel patterns. So the right program for you may be the wrong program for me (and visa-versa).

Old 02-22-2018, 04:46 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,235,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillRoaming View Post
If you golf a lot and don't have a membership to a local course, you might want to look into that. For several years in the early 2000's, we had a membership for unlimited golf with cart at a local course for about $1,000 yearly for two golfers. It wasn't the most highly-manicured course but it wasn't a cow pasture either. No fancy clubhouse and trust me, you don't want to have to use the porta potties on the course. However, it is very old Florida with natural beauty, few houses, and lacking in all pretension. At times, wild cranes would be aerating the greens as you approached, which sounds better than saying they were tearing them up. As you've probably guessed, this is my all-time favorite course although most would say it doesn't hold a candle to the finer and expensive courses where the fairways are lush, the greens are perfect, and the sand is always soft. I know I've rambled on, but I guess my point is that sometimes things that aren't considered the best or the most expensive are a heck of a lot more fun.

As for travel, always check the discounts. I travel with my mother a lot, and we make good use of her senior status. She's a big fan of the Hampton Inn chain which gives her 10% off rooms. If you're lucky like me and have a mother who is loaded, you can let her pay for the room.

There are discounts everywhere for many different places. Seniors and military have the most available. Even stores like T.J.Maxx (on Mondays) and Ross (on Tuesdays) have 10% senior discounts. I know people who won't ask for available discounts because they feel it makes them look cheap, but it does really add up. Military discounts (10%) come in handy at Home Depot and Lowes.

Since you're frugal already, you know that frugal does not always mean cheap. Frugal is getting the best price for things. Frugal is putting the majority of your money toward those things most important to you.

Enjoy your retirement!
Paying $1,000 for two golfers annually w/ cart is a huge bargain, even for a goat farm course. How they can afford that with water maintenance, etc is pretty good. So many courses are going under nowadays. I'm like you, I don't need the most fancy courses - just a trek that allows me to hit all the clubs in my bag.

Old 02-22-2018, 07:04 AM

24 posts, read 16,164 times
That is a great rate for a golf course. I'm paying $4,000 now... so I agree, that's a great discount.

Goat farm course, that's a new one, Ha Ha Ha!

What is the best hotel points programs you folks have found?

Kurt

Old 02-22-2018, 09:58 AM

7,325 posts, read 4,172,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtGibson View Post

Kurt
That depends on what type of hotels you like to stay at (budget, midrange, luxury? national/international chain or boutique?), and where you like to go when you travel. There's no one program that's best for everyone.

I get a lot of value from the Hilton and IHG programs because I travel to a lot of places where the "fancy" hotel in town is a Hampton Inn or a Holiday Inn. I'm also a member of the Starwood and Hyatt programs, but because I don't stay as often at Starwood properties or Hyatt hotels, those programs are much less useful to me. (I actually use my Starwoood points to transfer to airline frequent flyer programs, I never use them for hotel stays.)

If you're unsure, or if you like to stay at non-chain properties, you might take a look at the rewards program Hotels.com runs. As I recall, you get a free night after 10 stays, and it doesn't tie you to a single hotel chain. (But of course it does tie you into booking through Hotels.com.)

Old 02-22-2018, 12:28 PM

14,261 posts, read 44,955,618 times
Quote:
That is a great rate for a golf course. I'm paying $4,000 now... so I agree, that's a great discount.

Goat farm course, that's a new one, Ha Ha Ha!

Kurt
In my experience, join the program that you can rack up miles on while you are still working - too late for this to be any use to you. So I will just say you have to consider how you want to travel and where you want to stay. I have liked the Choice Hotel program, because we sometimes go over to Sea-Tac and there are several Choice hotels there that we like.

Old 02-22-2018, 01:59 PM

27,798 posts, read 26,235,889 times
Quote:

I am newly retired, and am very frugal.

Quote:
That is a great rate for a golf course. I'm paying $4,000 now.
might consider starting by stopping the $4k yr golf bill.

Old 02-22-2018, 03:07 PM

24 posts, read 16,164 times
Ha! It's the only golf course within 30 minutes from me

Kurt

Old 02-22-2018, 03:15 PM

14,261 posts, read 44,955,618 times
Quote:
Ha! It's the only golf course within 30 minutes from me

Kurt
That's what I mean by saying you are in a high COLA area. Your money would go further if you moved either south and/or west.

If you like the Baltimore area (and it does have it's charms, I have visited for work several times) and have enough money to stay there, OK then. But you started the thread looking, it seems to me, for a "better deal" in your retirement.

Not far from me is a golf course - subdivision, Horn Rapids. The houses are effectively on the course. Here, I guess you can golf about 8 to 10 months out of most years, depending on how cold of weather you want to play in. In a state with no state income tax, decent COLA. Just for example.

Old 02-23-2018, 07:44 AM

5,794 posts, read 4,848,703 times
Or a place like where I live in east TN. My house is on the golf course. I can literally throw a ball from my patio onto the 18th fairway. Unlimited golf for the entire family is about $2500/yr, and we have 3 courses to choose from. COL is low here, no state income tax, low property taxes, you can golf 12 months out of the year if you don't mind the brown Bermuda and chilly temps in winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or