Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 08:55 AM

11,119 posts, read 9,756,639 times

Advertisements

Maintain your autos properly and keep them for a VERY long time.

Don't finance anything unless there's no interest.

Use websites to comparison shop for hotels, and then when you have the lowest price from, say Trivago or Kayak, or some such website, call the hotel directly and ask them to beat the best price you found. A lot of times they'll come down another 5 or 10%.

Purchase plane tickets at approximately 6 weeks before travel and use the "lower fare alert" option so you'll be notified if the price drops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2018, 09:18 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,560,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
Don't spend your money on unnecessary things.

Simple, really.
LOL see op unfortunately I'm the exact opposite. See I saved and scrimped for retirement. retirement is supposed to be the time where I get to enjoy myself.

IMO what's your purpose, to die leaving millions to someone else??

So yes I'm retiring in 19 months give or take a few months. for my 60th I'm going to Europe God willing. Yep I'll be blowing my money on first class seats (useless) and I'm not booking a hotel by what free days I get but instead what amenities I want. ie a balcony (useless) and my plan is to snowbird to a house on the beach in Tybee Island (useless).

LOL, I guess I'm not the one to help you. we do have a really good frugal living area in the Economics forum. check them out.

Old 02-20-2018, 09:20 AM

24 posts, read 21,797 times
I definitely would like to do more traveling.

But I like going to the movies...

I like golfing...

And I want to try anything intellectually stimulating.

Now mind you, when I say "frugal", I don't mean "cheap."

I'm a retired physician, and I've got over $1 MM across my retirement accounts...

But I'd rather leave the bulk of my money in my grandkids education trust, while living the retirement I always dreamed of.

So that might mean I visit Paris, but I save a few bucks by negotiating a low rate on Trivago or Kayak (thank you, TheShadow)...

Or getting the charge card with the maximum airline miles...

Or even a way to travel for free by teaching in another country?

I'm not sure... but thank you for helping me narrow my question!

I hope this makes sense?

Kurt

Old 02-20-2018, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
LOL see op unfortunately I'm the exact opposite. See I saved and scrimped for retirement. retirement is supposed to be the time where I get to enjoy myself.
I agree with this. Eliza, you and I are on the same wavelength.

Kurt

Old 02-20-2018, 09:27 AM

5,249 posts, read 3,608,338 times
I was going to write about how I travel overseas most years by using credit card bonuses (& not carrying a charge), just got a 60K point bonus this week - that's this summer's ticket to Europe.

But as a physician you can typically get on some very interesting trips to exotic locales/expeditions for free or almost free. I would start calling some interesting expedition tour sites & barter your services, I'm sure you will also research any potential insurance matters for this. I have a D.O. friend who does just this.

Old 02-20-2018, 09:28 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,560,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtGibson View Post

I like golfing...

Now mind you, when I say "frugal", I don't mean "cheap."

I'm a retired physician, and I've got over $1 MM across my retirement accounts...

But I'd rather leave the bulk of my money in my grandkids education trust, while living the retirement I always dreamed of.

So that might mean I visit Paris, but I save a few bucks by negotiating a low rate on Trivago or Kayak (thank you, TheShadow)...

Or getting the charge card with the maximum airline miles...

Or even a way to travel for free by teaching in another country?

I'm not sure... but thank you for helping me narrow my question!

I hope this makes sense?

Kurt
Absolutely and I think you're doing better than you think. Here's one thing I do that while may not "save" me money, I do think it makes me get the best value for my money especially when traveling.

I try to list the things in order of importance.

So for example, since I'm a pretty tall gal and have horrible knees (thank you osteoarthritis), space on long flights is worth every penny. so I may get the cc that will help me get points to upgrade and then maybe go a little more modest on the hotel accommodations .

I guess it's more of just being aware of how the pennies are spent. I live in a big city so I know movies are still cheaper the first show of the day. stuff like that.

Definitely check out the educational tour companies. I actually have a retired dentist friend who does a lot of travel with our churchs missionary. He does have to commit to spending some time there but he says he gets quite a bit of down time to explore. loves it.

Old 02-20-2018, 09:32 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,957,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtGibson View Post

I like golfing...

Have you looked in to OLLI? = Osher Lifelong Learning Institute

It's billed as "University-quality, non-credit courses for adults 50+" It's inexpensive, you meet new people, explore new interests...

OLLI is available at institutions of higher learning all over the country. I'm planning to do some courses at Arizona State University.

Old 02-20-2018, 09:38 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,894,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post

Retiring out of the U.S. was the biggest "frugal" step for affordable retirement.
Yes, for some. Not all.

Medicaid and Assets

Old 02-20-2018, 10:31 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,586,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
my goal, is to spend the last $1 just before my dying breath......so the older I get, the less frugal I plan on being (within reason). No sense in sitting on a huge nest egg, sacrificing, recycling aluminum foil, reusing ziplock baggies and dying with a ton of $$ in the bank, is there?

That's exactly what I was thinking. Being frugal just means you die with a bigger bank account.

Old 02-20-2018, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
That's exactly what I was thinking. Being frugal just means you die with a bigger bank account.
What is your plan, Erik?

Kurt
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement