U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 09:53 PM

10,819 posts, read 8,071,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celiene61 View Post
Actually the OP has more choices for part time work in her/his retirement years than most of the other posters on this thread.

Their education level is rather helpful in this regard.
Odd statement, considering the OP has been crystal clear she was so unhappy in her field.

What is your basis for the claim that she has more choices than most of us?
When we announced our retirements, DH & I both were offered part-time opportunities. As late as last year, 4 years after retirement, DH was still being actively recruited for part time work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2018, 11:35 PM

202 posts, read 141,437 times
I am sort of surprised that so many want OP to do something in the legal field given that she says she doesn't want to do that.

Unlike most in this thread, I actually understand this as I am also a lawyer. In my case, I ended up semi-retiring and do some part-time legal work mostly from home. But, if I retired fully from my legal job, I have toyed with the idea of doing something else just for fun.

I understand that desire. Becoming a lawyer and practicing for many years took up all work time. There were all those other things I sometimes saw other people doing that seemed interesting but just weren't feasible for me to do.

I have at times though of many different things to do. None of them involve directly working as a lawyer. The closest was I did think about teaching an undergraduate course in business law or con law at a CC (I don't know how people fine those jobs though). But a lot of them didn't involve law at all.

Like OP, I understand the not wanting to be tied down. Even a part-time job for someone else can tie you down. For the OP, I do think that flipping is difficult for people who have to hire out all the work. I think the numbers won't likely work. But, you could try it and find out. Maybe try to find a contractor to partner with.

The immediate thing, though, that I thought of thinking of your situation was rental property. Not managing someone else's rental property. I mean buying your own property and renting it out. Instead of flipping, maybe buying up some property that needs fixing up that would make a good rental property. Fixing it up and renting it out. Manage that and see if you like it or not. If you do, then buy another one, etc.

If you don't need the money, though, you can try anything you want and see if you like it. The post that said be an Uber driver or Lyft driver or walk dogs or whatever. You could try a number of different service type endeavors and see if you like them. If you don't you can move on to something else.

Old 02-24-2018, 02:08 AM

107 posts, read 57,211 times
You should be a paid medicare advisor & or a paid SS advisor.

Old 02-24-2018, 05:49 AM

1,971 posts, read 1,376,800 times
After retirement I purchased an 18 wheeler before I knew how to drive one. Learned to drive, and ran away from home, drove long haul, saw all the lower 48, and loved it. You must have an understanding wife.

Old 02-24-2018, 06:32 AM

1,261 posts, read 570,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koshka2 View Post
The immediate thing, though, that I thought of thinking of your situation was rental property. Not managing someone else's rental property. I mean buying your own property and renting it out. Instead of flipping, maybe buying up some property that needs fixing up that would make a good rental property. Fixing it up and renting it out. Manage that and see if you like it or not. If you do, then buy another one, etc.
Absolutely. That is part of the plan. Though I can't imagine that taking up enough time to be a "business" so to speak. I was a landlord at one point and maybe I lucked out but mostly I just collected the checks.

In terms of flipping. I would like to try sort of a mini flip. I see a lot of condos imho that just need new floors, better paint and new appliances and would get a much higher price. Also since I would be my own buyer's agent I would get a commission on just buying a property.

But if it doesn't work out I agree with you. That could be part of renting as well. Buy the property, flip it say at 10K rent for a few years sell it when I can make 30K.

Another thing a friend did but got bored with and stopped... was being a health care advocate for the elderly. Slightly different than elder care.. typically it just involves advocating for the client in the hospital or something -- sometimes family that is too far away will hire you to watch out for the family member.

I have to say I do think I am just going to go with something like a "whatever I feel like doing" business. Consulting.

Old 02-24-2018, 12:34 PM

12,304 posts, read 10,777,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I wish people would stop repeating this. It's not true. It's an urban legend.

As long as you are at great pains to do business in a businesslike manner and have the records to substantiate that, you can lose money every year. It's still a business.
Please review the IRS website and get back to us!

Old 02-24-2018, 12:41 PM

12,304 posts, read 10,777,599 times
Quote:
Actually the OP has more choices for part time work in her/his retirement years than most of the other posters on this thread.

Their education level is rather helpful in this regard. Perhaps some of the off handed comments might be based on a wee, tiny bit of envy? It is OKAY, life is not always fair in that regard.
Envious? Nope. Not even a little. I'm quite happy in my life.

A person's education level doesn't mean much to me. There are intelligent people who didn't finish high school and there's people with PhD's that don't have the common sense god gave to a grapefruit. A piece of paper doesn't mean anything!

Old 02-24-2018, 12:49 PM

23,785 posts, read 8,294,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Envious? Nope. Not even a little. I'm quite happy in my life.

A person's education level doesn't mean much to me. There are intelligent people who didn't finish high school and there's people with PhD's that don't have the common sense god gave to a grapefruit. A piece of paper doesn't mean anything!
I know IF I wanted to do some work in retirement, it would be a fun type job and for CASH. Don't want the IRS in my life anymore. My ex was a brain and short on common sense.

Old 02-24-2018, 01:00 PM

27,798 posts, read 26,231,496 times
Quote:
Heck no!

I actually feel sorry for anyone who hasn't established enough outside interests/hobbies during their lifetimes that they feel a need to keep doing "work".....

I've been retired almost a decade and not a single day have I been bored without absolutely nothing to do. I'm posting here now just become I'm coming down from three hours of yoga I did up in my city at a festival and need to unwind.

Anyone who enjoys "work" ought to think about volunteering anyway, imo - be useful to society and give back.

Old 02-24-2018, 01:55 PM

5,429 posts, read 3,455,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyFoxSeaton View Post

I have to say I do think I am just going to go with something like a "whatever I feel like doing" business. Consulting.
consulting on what? what is your current job, by the way?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement