U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2018, 05:18 PM

4,414 posts, read 1,673,386 times

Advertisements

My thoughts? OK. 80% of all business startups fail. If you are one of them, you will lose everything you have.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2018, 05:33 PM

1,253 posts, read 567,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Community colleges always looking for seasoned/experienced instructors to teach a class or two...intro to business law, paralegal programs, etc.
But then I would be working for someone else.. which I want to avoid. I want to get up when I want and do the work when I want.

Quote:
If you are one of them, you will lose everything you have.
I don't see how, would still have the pension - 401K - and social security NO matter what.

I don't like volunteering as most opportunities IMHO are meaningless busy work. Though I hope to do some volunteering with animals. But I would want to see if I could run a business.

Old 02-20-2018, 06:34 PM

13,912 posts, read 7,405,593 times
What kind of business should you start when you retire?

Why monkey business, of course.

Old 02-20-2018, 06:39 PM

13,668 posts, read 8,577,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyFoxSeaton View Post
I have always wanted to have my own business. When I retire I want to do that on a part time basis. I will have a pension and won't have to worry about money.

But I am kind of stumped at to what I want to do. I am a lawyer by trade but pretty much hate the law. I would like to get into some sort of real estate thing ... such as property management or flipping homes but I don't know if I have what it takes for that.

Any thoughts?
Close real estate deals.
We had a lawyer in our town and that was ALL he did. He was really good at it, too. When he got through everyone understood everything.

Old 02-20-2018, 07:05 PM

5,426 posts, read 3,450,730 times
Quote:

Your ridiculous. My property management company has like 200+ condo associations. Many of them massive. There are three people.

I am certainly capable of running 4 or 5 small associations.
You are a lawyer or trained as a lawyer, and you say 'your ridiculous' rather than the correct 'you are ridiculous' or you're ridiculous.

Old 02-20-2018, 08:03 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,039,389 times
Are you interested in child welfare? If so, maybe acting as a guardian ad litem for foster children through the courts would be a good job. I am not sure what it pays, but one of my adopted daughters had an attorney for hers. She called every month or so to see how she was doing until her adoption was final. Once she took her out for ice cream and talked wither about what she liked and did not like. Then she prepared a report for the court.

Its not totally independent in that you would have to follow the court schedule for the reports, but when and how the interactions with the child were was open for scheduling.

Old 02-20-2018, 08:05 PM

31,667 posts, read 19,975,978 times
I think you may have a simplistic view of HOA management and house flipping. Do you have a construction background? Have you been to a lot of HOA meetings and familiar with all it entails? Your legal background would definitely be a plus for that.

It's unfortunate that you dislike law and volunteer work. You could do some amazing good offering pro bono work.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 02-20-2018, 08:20 PM

12,304 posts, read 10,768,997 times
Quote:
I would like to get into some sort of real estate thing ... such as property management or flipping homes but I don't know if I have what it takes for that.

Any thoughts?
Neither one are part time jobs. Property management certainly isn't! Water heater bursts at 3am, guess who has to get up and do something?

Flipping houses...do you live in an area where people actually money doing this? In many areas, there's no money to be made flipping.

Old 02-20-2018, 08:33 PM

8,047 posts, read 5,895,364 times
Quote:
I have always wanted to have my own business. When I retire I want to do that on a part time basis.<>Any thoughts?
well, there's always the home based business selling stuff and recruiting people. I worked with a a good one for a while.
International business, lots of people doing well, small outlay to join. SO and I do not participate anymore but we've seen many do well. We still like the products.
Do some research and you may find something like that works for you. PM if that sounds like a route you would like to explore.

Old 02-20-2018, 08:39 PM

12,304 posts, read 10,768,997 times
Quote:
Your ridiculous. My property management company has like 200+ condo associations. Many of them massive. There are three people.

I am certainly capable of running 4 or 5 small associations.
As someone who used to work in property management, I'm calling BS! There is no way 3 people are running a company that is managing over 200 condo associations. Do you have any idea how many phone calls come in every single day from just one association?

The PM also MUST attend ALL board meetings. That's not possible with 3 people. They MUST have employees.

Then there's the accounting aspect. One association we managed was so large that I literally spent 1 day every month just entering their payments. This was a 10 hour day. That wasn't even every payment. Every month, I would spend 1/2 day to a full day sending letters to the delinquent payers. Then I had hours to enter the payments that were finally made. I had reports to run and hours at the bank making those deposits.

I was the accountant and work 50-60 hour weeks almost every week. The weeks I didn't work 50-60 hours was during the end of the month and when the associations were doing their taxes. I didn't do their taxes, but I needed to answer half a million questions.

Our company wasn't hired because of the sex of the owner. No association says hey we want a man or a woman. They want a company that will do everything they want, take all of their crap, and do it for practically nothing. You're at their beckon call. Yeah, things break at 3am that the PM HAS to deal with. Pipes burst. Weather/trees cause issues during storms. Noisy people annoying others....dogs barking.

Quote:
But then I would be working for someone else.. which I want to avoid. I want to get up when I want and do the work when I want.
Then you don't want to be a PM. You don't work for yourself. You work for all of the owners of the association! If the snow plow doesn't come at 6am as scheduled, then your phone will be ringing off the hook. A pipe bursts at 3am on a Sunday? Your phone won't stop ringing. You can't ignore these issues. You can't ignore the association members. There is no doing the work when you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement