Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 01:35 PM

7,234 posts, read 4,542,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
Marijuana growth or sales.
LOL! Actually that is legal in my state now. But at the moment I am terrified by the extensive regulations.

Quote:
Do you have a degree? Are you licensed? Do you have a speciality?
Yes, yes, and I no longer practice. I really mostly am sick of the law so I would like not to do that.

I like the Property Management idea. I live in a small condo and I think the services for that are so bad. I think for very little money I could kill it for 4 or 5 condo associations. I would like to specialize in condos that are small and that want a woman in charge. So many condos are forced to have a guy manager because women just don't get into the game.

My law license allows me to waive into being a real estate agent. If I did that I would be a buyers agent only.

I would not need to have the money. It would only be a nice bonus.

Flipping is pretty easy these days with crowdfunding. It is pretty easy to get a loan as long as you can show them you have a plan. I have always thought of making a living doing SMALL flipping. Buying a condo that doesn't need a tremendous amount done (no more than 10 grand) and doing that in a few weeks and flipping it for 20K more.

Maybe I could do something like all of the above and call it something like EmilyFoxSeaton consulting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2018, 02:10 PM

17,210 posts, read 57,041,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyFoxSeaton View Post
LOL! Actually that is legal in my state now. But at the moment I am terrified by the extensive regulations.

Yes, yes, and I no longer practice. I really mostly am sick of the law so I would like not to do that.

I like the Property Management idea. I live in a small condo and I think the services for that are so bad. I think for very little money I could kill it for 4 or 5 condo associations. I would like to specialize in condos that are small and that want a woman in charge. So many condos are forced to have a guy manager because women just don't get into the game.

My law license allows me to waive into being a real estate agent. If I did that I would be a buyers agent only.

Flipping is pretty easy these days with crowdfunding. It is pretty easy to get a loan as long as you can show them you have a plan. I have always thought of making a living doing SMALL flipping. Buying a condo that doesn't need a tremendous amount done (no more than 10 grand) and doing that in a few weeks and flipping it for 20K more.

Maybe I could do something like all of the above and call it something like EmilyFoxSeaton consulting.
What, specifically, about law is turning you off? It seems to me that you could find some niche that is appealing. Either from the standpoint of doing good (Guardian Ad Litem, for kids, for example) or something you find interesting to do (I don't know enough about law to say what that might be).

Like it or not, law is the "big blade on your personal Swiss Army knife" - it would make sense to find a use for it. Otherwise you are effectively throwing away your years of work experience.

Old 02-20-2018, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
What, specifically, about law is turning you off? It seems to me that you could find some niche that is appealing. Either from the standpoint of doing good (Guardian Ad Litem, for kids, for example) or something you find interesting to do (I don't know enough about law to say what that might be).
Like it or not, law is the "big blade on your personal Swiss Army knife" - it would make sense to find a use for it. Otherwise you are effectively throwing away your years of work experience.
Welp, if you can find it... great but I find zero that is worth it. Plus many of these programs are controlled by courts and that would be too much like working for someone else. I don't really want anyone telling me what to do and courts just love doing that. If I was going to go through that hassle there is the option of phased retirement where I work and I could work there a couple a days per week.

What I like doing is sleeping. Any thoughts on how I could make money doing that?

Old 02-20-2018, 02:22 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,886,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyFoxSeaton View Post

ONE individual is NOT capable of being the Property Management for an entire HOA condo association. Let alone four.

Just because you have complaints about YOURS doesn't mean anything.

Why would you think there's an HOA that's going to give you their entire LIFE because you're a woman?

And NO, flipping is not "easy".

THIS is exactly what I was talking about.

Old 02-20-2018, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
ONE individual is NOT capable of being the Property Management for an entire HOA condo association. Let alone four.
Your ridiculous. My property management company has like 200+ condo associations. Many of them massive. There are three people.

I am certainly capable of running 4 or 5 small associations.

Old 02-20-2018, 02:28 PM

672 posts, read 442,570 times
If you're retiring and starting a business you're not retiring.

Sell vibrators from your so cal beach home.

Old 02-20-2018, 02:32 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,524,829 times
What area of law? Could you be an expert witness?

Old 02-20-2018, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homelessinseattle View Post
If you're retiring and starting a business you're not retiring.

Sell vibrators from your so cal beach home.

LOL!! Is there a lot of profit in that?

Old 02-20-2018, 03:30 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times
Community colleges always looking for seasoned/experienced instructors to teach a class or two...intro to business law, paralegal programs, etc.

Old 02-20-2018, 03:48 PM

7,150 posts, read 4,900,681 times
Prop Mgmt sounds like a PITA. You say you don't need the money...how about volunteering? If you tired of the law in whatever field you were in, you may find it more satisfying as a Legal Aid volunteer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement