U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 08:00 PM

6,215 posts, read 2,874,385 times

Advertisements

I'm sincerely pleased to read of your improvement. May it balance out and remain manageable.

I suffer from PTSD. It's fluctuation can be heightened anxiety,to severe depression,to complete numbness. Tried meds ...and my body just became a shell. Found diet and some alternate therapy ...to ease it. Just consider each day a blessing to be alive...
Again I have such support for those deeds that others might take for granted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2018, 09:50 PM

18,121 posts, read 22,989,204 times
Glad you're feeling better. When I was at my worst with depression, I can remember wanting to cook more food at home and eat better, and I'd soak beans to cook the next day, and they'd end up rotting in the water.

Pills didn't work for me forever, as my body would become immune to them, and they'd try me on other ones that had side-effects that were worse. So I suggest making some other changes when you're up to it. Some exercise, look at your diet (becoming vegan has worked wonders for me physically and mentally), and maybe something like cognitive behavioral therapy.

But, one thing at a time. Don't you just love looking in your fridge now? Good for you. I used to get overwhelmed by housework and a counselor told me to just tell myself I was going to wash 4 things (for example). Just 4. No matter how many dirty dishes there were. So, I'd tell myself, okay, let's go wash 4 items that are dirty in the sink. Sometimes I'd only wash 4, but usually, I'd get on a roll. And even when I could only wash 4, I had that sense of accomplishment that feels so good. Instead of beating myself up because I needed to "clean the dishes" or the kitchen, etc., which seemed surmountable, or tell myself "you only cleaned 4 things before you gave up, you loser," I could say - "Yay! You accomplished your goal of washing 4 items!"

Those little mind tricks really work.

Oh, and I agree that there are so many symptoms that can be attributed to depression that aren't. And once you're diagnosed with depression, it's easy for medical professionals to blow off other options, which can be really frustrating. Same for menopause, actually. Any symptom in the world, it seems, can be included in menopause, so doctors can end up not looking for other issues.

Old 02-21-2018, 05:37 AM

21,583 posts, read 14,374,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Plenty of older people are lonely or very lonely. Taking pills for depression might or will help depression, but it will not cure loneliness.
That's the tricky part, is your depression caused by a chemical imbalance, or is it caused by some external factors, such as loneliness or being disconnected from your community?

I suffer from depression, but my life has been a series of traumatic events, starting from when I was a child till now, some of them out of my control, some not. I was given a prescription for depression and I felt WORSE while taking it. I thought it was my depression getting worse and never considered the medication causing it for a year and a half. After that time I decided to get off of the fluoxetine and immediately started to feel better.

Mindfulness has been scientifically shown to increase your happiness by 10% when practiced regularly, and that mimics the increase in happiness that you often achieve when taking medication.

It's hard to take any single individuals opinion as being 100% correct, you have to look at multiple opinions and arrive at your own conclusions. Johan Harri wrote "Lost Connections", and he is not an expert by any means, but has raise many valuable points. He suffered from depression for years and was on many anti depressants, all of them made him feel worse. He discovered why this was so and wrote a book about it. It's not scholarly, but very interesting, and has some level of accuracy in his observations.

Here is a more critical look at his book:

Is everything Johan Harri knows about depression wrong?

Old 02-21-2018, 08:28 AM

13,321 posts, read 25,574,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
So glad you're feeling better, Meo. I have been on and off medications for years. My doctor told me decades ago that my brain chemistry is such that I will probably need them always. So far he's been right.
Amen. I have been on one med or another for depression for many years, and when one wears out, I take another one. It has no relation to anything happening in life, really. It's just bad biochemistry. I have trouble *still* saying I have a mental illness, have not had a horrible crash since my 20s (pre medication) but I am always wary of it kicking up its nasty heels. At 64, I am still learning to live with it.

Old 02-21-2018, 11:10 AM

23,785 posts, read 8,287,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
You know, the first Dr I saw, the one I fell asleep on, did thyroid test before anything else. She must have been ahead of her time. Thyroid mimics depression so closely.. So glad you were finally diagnosed correctly.
Depression is right UP there on the 66 some symptoms of sluggish/low thyroid and so many are not treated. It's easier often for doctors to just write scripts for A/D's, and they get more $$ for pharma world too. Feeding the thyroid what it needs is so missed..I was 63 when I finally got that SMART doctor, and no more drugs...depression went bye bye...I'm 79 and my thyroid med is a best friend. And doesn't break the bank.

Old 02-21-2018, 11:13 AM

31,688 posts, read 19,992,457 times
The point is, the anti depressants worked.

Of course, that does not mean nothing else is wrong, but dealing with the depression and feeling better is the first step for anything.

OP hope you are having another motivated day!!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 02-21-2018, 01:18 PM

16,019 posts, read 19,698,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
This may sound silly or weird even but, the pills are finally starting to work & today I cleaned out my refrigerator. I know, I know. In days gone by it would be a no-brainer but, when you have depression it's a milestone.

I know from being on medication previously that it does change your life. But, I'd lived with the smell that we all know, when something has died in that frig & you just have to take everything out until you find it hidden way in the back. Normally it would have been taken care of immediately, but depression holds you back on EVERYTHING.

So glad I am back on the road to being me.
Yeah! Glad that you are feeling better. I know that after my last sibling died about 4 years ago....I could barely keep up with the day to day stuff, forget heavy duty cleaning etc.

One think that helps. Pick out one job per day. And for me it helped to do some of that job....then reward myself for about half an hour watching whatever show that I was streaming. Then back to doing that job.....then another break and so on for most of the day.

This summer I had a big redo in our rent home across state. I stayed because part of what I was doing was the kitchen cupboards....I bought a packaged set of "married with children" dvd's' Thank goodness...I was able to get so much done.....and my breaks were filled with laughter.

Congrats to you on feeling better. Wishing you the best.

ETA I have read a few more of your posts in this thread, and I want to say Thank you. You will likely help others to recognize something that they might not otherwise and they may get help because you are being so candid and open. Thank you.

Old 02-21-2018, 02:35 PM

23,785 posts, read 8,287,252 times
Someone mentioned menopause and that is when my 10 yrs hit me, at about 53 or so and the end of menopause. Fixing the thyroid finally got me out it in 2002. 1991-2002

Old 02-21-2018, 05:57 PM

1,579 posts, read 583,796 times
MEO -- So glad you are perking up and starting to feel better. Yay!

We are just a hop, skip, and a jump away from the beautiful Arizona wildflower season, and I hope you will be able to enjoy some of it. Because this fall and winter has been on the dry side for us, it may not be quite as great as usual --- but I think you will still enjoy your first wildflower season a lot.

When you feel up to it, consider visiting some churches, and perhaps some clubs. Often the local library has a reading group and/or volunteer activities, and, of course, the local animal shelter and food bank do too. You know yourself best, and this isn't a race. But it is nice to develop some friendships -- a stroll around the apartment grounds on a pleasant spring morning may be a way to meet neighbors.

But whatever you do, MEO, make sure you keep posting here in the Retirement forum! I, and so many others, look forward to your posts. You are a Very Special Lady.

Old 02-21-2018, 06:21 PM

4,977 posts, read 3,464,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyhockGarden View Post
MEO -- So glad you are perking up and starting to feel better. Yay!

We are just a hop, skip, and a jump away from the beautiful Arizona wildflower season, and I hope you will be able to enjoy some of it. Because this fall and winter has been on the dry side for us, it may not be quite as great as usual --- but I think you will still enjoy your first wildflower season a lot.

When you feel up to it, consider visiting some churches, and perhaps some clubs. Often the local library has a reading group and/or volunteer activities, and, of course, the local animal shelter and food bank do too. You know yourself best, and this isn't a race. But it is nice to develop some friendships -- a stroll around the apartment grounds on a pleasant spring morning may be a way to meet neighbors.

But whatever you do, MEO, make sure you keep posting here in the Retirement forum! I, and so many others, look forward to your posts. You are a Very Special Lady.
Well, thank you Hollyhock. Unfortunately, walking is hard for me after the car accident & back surgery. It's one of the things I miss the most as I used to walk a lot. I just remind myself, when I get down about that, in reality I should not even be here - the accident was that bad.

I'm hoping I will perk up & start doing things. Fingers crossed. I still haven't made it to Bisbee & that was high on my list. Then, the college seems to offer many good courses, another thing I want to do. I would love to learn Spanish & maybe take some art classes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or