Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 06:19 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,269,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Thank you. It's a difficult subject & so easy to just say, get over it. I think Robin Williams death really brought it to light, made more people aware that it is a condition that happens to people & shouldn't be taken lightly.

It's not until you feel better that you realize how bad it was.
I am glad you are feeling better.

I am always surprised when I read or hear stories about famous people being depressed or unhappy. You would think they have everything, so whY?

One in particular was Elizabeth Vargas. She was an anchor for ABC. She was married to the musician.

She told her story a few months ago. She was always panicking before she went on air. She drank a lot too.

She has since divorced. Her husband tried to stand by her but I guess it got to be too much.

I've run into more people now that are feeling this way. And yes, it is good to be more open about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2018, 06:24 PM

48,519 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Because depression doesn't necessarily have anything to do with what is happening in your life, it can be physical (brain chemicals).

I was depressed when my husband died. That is normal, and does not require medication. When you are depressed and it sucks the joy from your life, then there is a problem. It takes the joy, the joy doesn't overcome it.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-20-2018, 06:28 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
I'm glad OP could clean the refrig...I'm not depressed but spot clean it here and there. My issue is being lazy to do the refrig totally.

Depression as I'm sure you all know comes in clinical and situational wraps. I struggled for 10 long miserable years with clinical and given many A/D drugs for those years and my gut told me from day 1 it was Sluggish Thyroid and the many doctors let their numbers rule and had me take their drugs. It was thyroid...after 4 days on thyroid support that 10 yrs of depression lifted. My story. What I didn't know back in those miserable years from 1991 to 2002.

Old 02-20-2018, 06:35 PM

7,042 posts, read 6,292,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I'm glad OP could clean the refrig...I'm not depressed but spot clean it here and there. My issue is being lazy to do the refrig totally.

Depression as I'm sure you all know comes in clinical and situational wraps. I struggled for 10 long miserable years with clinical and given many A/D drugs for those years and my gut told me from day 1 it was Sluggish Thyroid and the many doctors let their numbers rule and had me take their drugs. It was thyroid...after 4 days on thyroid support that 10 yrs of depression lifted. My story. What I didn't know back in those miserable years from 1991 to 2002.
You know, the first Dr I saw, the one I fell asleep on, did thyroid test before anything else. She must have been ahead of her time. Thyroid mimics depression so closely.. So glad you were finally diagnosed correctly.

Old 02-20-2018, 07:15 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,579,235 times
Plenty of older people are lonely or very lonely. Taking pills for depression might or will help depression, but it will not cure loneliness.

Old 02-20-2018, 07:19 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,569,264 times
I am so glad you are feeling better. Depression is life sucking and something I don't wish on anyone.

I used to think that depression was 'sad' but that is not the case.

Anti-depressants did not work for me but I was able to struggle thru and come out the other side.

I hope you have lots of sunny, happy days ahead!

Old 02-20-2018, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Plenty of older people are lonely or very lonely. Taking pills for depression might or will help depression, but it will not cure loneliness.

I think that is a statement of the obvious. But it WILL give you the energy and motivation to go out and help fix that loneliness.

Old 02-20-2018, 07:25 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,579,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post

I think that is a statement of the obvious. But it WILL give you the energy and motivation to go out and help fix that loneliness.
You're the one who constantly posts the obvious. The point is that many older people label loneliness as depression, instead of labeling it loneliness. One can also have both simultaneously, of course.

Old 02-20-2018, 07:26 PM

25,442 posts, read 9,800,380 times
So glad you're feeling better, Meo. I have been on and off medications for years. My doctor told me decades ago that my brain chemistry is such that I will probably need them always. So far he's been right.

Old 02-20-2018, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
You're the one who constantly posts the obvious. The point is that many older people label loneliness as depression, instead of labeling it loneliness. One can also have both simultaneously, of course.
Sure they can.

Did the OP address loneliness? I may have missed it.

Either way, the first step is to banish the depression so the can see the sun so to speak. Anyway, wishing the OP the best!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement