Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 06:58 PM

1,664 posts, read 1,917,122 times

Advertisements

I'm cross-posting this from the "Tennessee" section on this forum for folks asking where's the cheapest and nicest places to retire.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...xes/350963002/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2018, 09:21 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,545,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normashirley View Post
I'm cross-posting this from the "Tennessee" section on this forum for folks asking where's the cheapest and nicest places to retire.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...xes/350963002/
Cheapest and nicest rarely are found in the same place.

Old 02-21-2018, 04:29 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,431,145 times
this should be a retirement forum sticky - thanks for the information - always nice to compare state by state -

Old 02-21-2018, 05:30 AM

1,664 posts, read 1,917,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Cheapest and nicest rarely are found in the same place.

It depends what ones pleasure is

We live in an Ag County (translates to cheap) on 25 acres on a remote road --- we look like we're in No Man's Land but we are less than 15 miles from two towns with hospitals and good doctors.

A county deputy lives a thousand feet thru the woods from us

Hardly a lifestyle for everyone but it's cheap, nice, peaceful and drop-dead gorgeous

Old 02-21-2018, 07:26 AM

2,525 posts, read 1,946,683 times
I saw that article yesterday. As usual, there are some flaws in their methodology. My state exempts most of our Retirement Income, so that particular bullet point missed the mark completely.

Real Estate Tax ?? On a state-wide basis ?? Not really representative of a specific Market Area.

Did they account for Gasoline Tax ?? My state has the lowest in the nation.

Kiplinger's magazine does the best job of these state by state surveys....check their website for the latest.

Last edited by FiveLoaves; 02-21-2018 at 07:47 AM..

Old 02-21-2018, 08:24 AM

4,344 posts, read 4,720,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normashirley View Post

Hardly a lifestyle for everyone but it's cheap, nice, peaceful and drop-dead gorgeous
And what one considers gorgeous is another person's ugly.

Old 02-21-2018, 03:21 PM

4,141 posts, read 3,052,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveLoaves View Post
I saw that article yesterday. As usual, there are some flaws in their methodology. My state exempts most of our Retirement Income, so that particular bullet point missed the mark completely.

Real Estate Tax ?? On a state-wide basis ?? Not really representative of a specific Market Area.

Did they account for Gasoline Tax ?? My state has the lowest in the nation.

Kiplinger's magazine does the best job of these state by state surveys....check their website for the latest.
Here is another chart based on cost of living rather than state taxes:
https://www.missourieconomy.org/indi...ost_of_living/

Note that while Alaska has low taxes, the cost of living is very high.

Ohio comes out as above average on state taxes, but when I try to compare taxes to other states I find there are things that the state tax charts do not take into consideration:

Ohio does not have a personal property tax on automobiles, does not require annual safety inspections, and with the exception of a handful of counties, does not require emission checks. You can now buy a four year license plate sticker, so that you only have to visit the Ohio BMV every 4 years when you renew your driver's license (assuming your plate and driver's license are in synch). All of this combined makes licensing your vehicle cheap and easy.

I retired last year. My part-time job pays a whole lot less, so my payments to the City and the school district are much lower. There is no local income tax in the rural area where I live, and the school district tax is only on earned income.

I am investing in the Vanguard Ohio Municipal Bond Fund, which is exempt from federal, state, and local taxes for Ohio residents. Unfortunately, I still have to pay capital gains taxes. This tax shelter is not available in all states:
https://investor.vanguard.com/mutual...th-end-returns

The Ohio sales tax does not apply to groceries, or food consumed off premises. That makes a difference in sales tax.

I noticed that some states exclude pension income from state taxation (not Ohio), but only if the pension was earned within that state. So moving would not lower my taxes.

Old 02-21-2018, 03:47 PM

37,464 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Basing something on the 'tax burden' is misleading. The total state revenue from all sources, divided by the population does give you a number. But that number does not mean that any specific person is paying that amount. Corporations also pay taxes, does that stop a person from retiring? No.

I live in the oldest state, the state with the highest percentage of retirees.

I pay no state income taxes because many pensions are exempted from taxes in this state.

This is the fifth home that I have owned, it is the largest home I have owned and it's property taxes are by far the lowest of all the previous homes I have owned. So to say that this state has 'high' property taxes is a pill that I can not swallow.

???

Old 02-21-2018, 04:56 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
Here is another chart based on cost of living rather than state taxes:

Ohio comes out as above average on state taxes, but when I try to compare taxes to other states I find there are things that the state tax charts do not take into consideration:

Ohio does not have a personal property tax on automobiles, does not require annual safety inspections, and with the exception of a handful of counties, does not require emission checks. You can now buy a four year license plate sticker, so that you only have to visit the Ohio BMV every 4 years when you renew your driver's license (assuming your plate and driver's license are in synch). All of this combined makes licensing your vehicle cheap and easy.

I retired last year. My part-time job pays a whole lot less, so my payments to the City and the school district are much lower. There is no local income tax in the rural area where I live, and the school district tax is only on earned income.

I am investing in the Vanguard Ohio Municipal Bond Fund, which is exempt from federal, state, and local taxes for Ohio residents. Unfortunately, I still have to pay capital gains taxes. This tax shelter is not available in all states:
https://investor.vanguard.com/mutual...th-end-returns

The Ohio sales tax does not apply to groceries, or food consumed off premises. That makes a difference in sales tax.

I noticed that some states exclude pension income from state taxation (not Ohio), but only if the pension was earned within that state. So moving would not lower my taxes.

If Ohio is a low tax state, why does Vanguard offer a tax-exempt fund? They offer tax-exempt funds for MA, NJ, NY, CA, PA, and Ohio. What do they all have in common? States with a sizable population and a HIGH tax rate. You don't see anything for Texas or Florida, do you?

One of the major factors in moving my business from the Cleveland to the Chicago area in 2000 was that my marginal tax rate went down 7.5%. There were several other factors but that was a pretty significant one.

Most of the benefits you mention are not uncommon to most states. Most states don't have a personal property tax and a good many states do not tax food consumed off premises or medications.

And that does not include the higher property tax rates in Wayne Co. which are in the top 25% as a % of value in the nation.

Old 02-21-2018, 05:14 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,209,487 times
A few caveats.

The states ranked 10 and 40 differ from each other by only 1.7 points (8.6% to 10.3%). Which means in a retirement income of 20K, the difference between highish and lowish is only a dollar a day. Not enough to offset many of the other considerations that are in your evaluation of a place to retire.

The tax load can be weighted, for or against your lifestyle. For example, if you plan to own your home, the high property tax in Texas will offset the zero income tax, which is meaningless since your SS would (probably) not be income-taxed at all in any state.

The progressiveness of taxes is relevant. As state with high tax bite may be taking it mostly from upper-income people, not the typical pensioner. A high sales tax won't affect a retiree much, because they don't consume much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement