U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 04:08 PM

3,876 posts, read 1,648,337 times

Advertisements

Sequence is a board game with cards that's pretty fun.
Apples to Apples is a good one for crowds.

Lots of dice games; we like Zilch. Here's a set of rules, slightly different scoring from how we play:
https://users.cs.duke.edu/~des/other_stuff/zilch.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2018, 05:12 PM

14,258 posts, read 23,979,216 times
Racko and Yahtzee are always favorites.

Old 02-21-2018, 05:14 PM

8,950 posts, read 7,729,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotpair View Post
I'm in charge of a games day at a local senior center. We have a core of bridge players and a larger group of people who typically play Rummikub or dominoes.

Several of the latter have asked for some new board games. We have Monopoly and Scrabble, but those haven't been popular.

Could anyone recommend games that don't require the concentration of Scrabble but allow for socializing the way Rummikub does?
Trivial Pursuit..

Old 02-21-2018, 05:42 PM

19,830 posts, read 18,839,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
For cards, how about pitch, pinocle, gin rummy, Uno, Texas Hold-em

Board games -- checkers, Yahtzee.

I love to play these games. No one right now to play them with. boo hoo
I used to LOVE pitch and pinochle back in college. I always said that when I retired I'd have time to play them again. Now I'm retired and no one plays those card games! I ask at senior centers wherever I go but no one plays them.

At our senior center they play dominoes. I don't know if it's the same dominoes we played when we were kids. Yahtzee used to be a lot of fun.

Old 02-21-2018, 07:04 PM

28,237 posts, read 39,879,137 times
Round robin Court Whist.

Best with 12 or more players. Play through a round, switch tables, play a round, switch tables. Do this until every team has played against all other teams. Add scores from each round. High score (obviously) wins.

We always had an inexpensive prize, or had everyone put in a quarter (dollar if you feel rich) for the winners.

Old 02-21-2018, 07:05 PM

28,237 posts, read 39,879,137 times
We always played double deck Pinochle. Not sure How well I'd track the cards now.

Love Pictionary. I volunteer to draw for anyone not comfortable doing so.

Old 02-21-2018, 08:40 PM

13,732 posts, read 9,841,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotpair View Post
We have Monopoly and Scrabble, but those haven't been popular.
A great "upgrade" to Monopoly is to play "terminal phase" rules. Distribute all properties and only start with $500. With trades, the board is mostly completed color groups, and the fur fight may last only 3 to 10 minutes. Not boring at all.
. . .
Another option, for Scrabble, is to give bonus points for slanguage and made up words. If it gets a laugh, it's worth it.

Old 02-21-2018, 08:56 PM

284 posts, read 259,249 times
Lots of good suggestions. Might add a couple special card games called Skipbo and Phase 10. Fun and just challenging enough to allow for socializing.

Old 02-21-2018, 09:51 PM

12,304 posts, read 10,758,877 times
Pass the Pigs

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pass_the_Pigs

Fact Or Crap is fun and entertaining.

Old 02-21-2018, 10:10 PM

5,165 posts, read 8,689,130 times
Smile Others

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBToast View Post
I like dice games. I have both Yatzee and Monopoly Yatzee (another version...no idea if that's still available).

What about Bunco (or Bonko, depending on where you live)? It's usually played with 3 tables of 4 players each, but you could do two. You play as a partner to the person across from you and the losers switch to the other table. If there are 3 tables then you move from 1 to 2 to 3 to 1. That way people get to talk to different people during the game. It's just easy rolling dice and keeping score.

At many senior centers they also play Mah Jongg. But you would need someone who knows how to play to hold classes. it's harder, like Bridge. It's also played in tables of 4. The problem is someone has to buy the Mah Jongg sets and those can be expensive. Also, everyone has to order a new card every year online from the National Mah Jongg League. The cards are only $8. By changing the card every year it keeps the game more challenging. Depends what your players are up for.

I love Bunco. Years ago, we had a mom's group that played this. Also, I love Tiles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or