U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2018, 05:40 PM

21,956 posts, read 14,435,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortpes View Post
YOU SHOULD NEVER USE A NURSING HOME. Oops! Caps stuck. NH are an unnatural way of extending the end of life suffering that is part of the dying process. Die in your own home in your own bed.
My mother spent her last months in a LTC facility. Her life was not prolonged. She died a natural death.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2018, 05:46 PM

21,956 posts, read 14,435,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNSLPPTSO13 View Post
I'm 61 but due to various issues which include very limited family that is physically distant and with their own issues,no friends or social circle for being extremely introverted,chronic illnesses that will affect my mobility sooner than later,and huge financial mistakes I have made that have left me without savings,deep in debt and renting for the rest of my life,these thoughts just creep on very frequently.What's gonna happen to me when I can no longer work...or wipe my butt??

I guess I am depressed...but what can I do? More meds from the shrink??.

I already do all those things you are supposed to do when you are depressed...
Exercise(Stationary bike 40-50 miles/week)...eat very healthy..take certain supplements,try to get adequate sleep,losing some additional weight,etc....but...I can't help thinking about what's gonna happen.

Tks for asking...I guess I really needed to vent at this moment!
In all seriousness, I think you need to find a reason for living.

If you are not working, find an activity you believe in and volunteer. Yeah, yeah, you are an introvert. Push yourself a little. If you are retired, what you have plenty of is time.

Old 02-22-2018, 05:50 PM

27,798 posts, read 26,249,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortpes View Post
YOU SHOULD NEVER USE A NURSING HOME. Oops! Caps stuck. NH are an unnatural way of extending the end of life suffering that is part of the dying process. Die in your own home in your own bed.
Not prolonging. Making the transition more comfortable as one deteriorates while needing assistance with basics (is body functions). I would be suspicious of elder neglect if healthcare/nursing care wasn't being provided in your home scenario.

Old 02-22-2018, 05:51 PM

8,047 posts, read 5,909,082 times
FIL did nothing special other than lead a clean and sober life. Fortunately he worked for a major corporation and so did his wife. She's gone , sadly, but he's still kicking along at 100. Retired for 35 years, longer than I've worked. Almost longer that HE worked for them. Sheesh.

Old 02-22-2018, 06:44 PM

19,968 posts, read 14,264,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
This is likely to change as legislators want major changes to Medicare.
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I doubt they will eliminate Medicare, although I know Repubs are itching to change it. But, remember—seniors VOTE.
Medicare will pay for nursing home care up to 28 days.

Long-term care is provide through Medicaid for the vast majority.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNSLPPTSO13 View Post
I'm 61 but due to various issues which include very limited family that is physically distant and with their own issues,no friends or social circle for being extremely introverted,chronic illnesses that will affect my mobility sooner than later,and huge financial mistakes I have made that have left me without savings,deep in debt and renting for the rest of my life,these thoughts just creep on very frequently.What's gonna happen to me when I can no longer work...or wipe my butt??
When the time comes, you'll go into long-term nursing home care, courtesy of Medicaid.

Old 02-22-2018, 06:48 PM

2,565 posts, read 1,030,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Medicare will pay for nursing home care up to 28 days.

Long-term care is provide through Medicaid for the vast majority.

When the time comes, you'll go into long-term nursing home care, courtesy of Medicaid.
Assuming Medicaid is not dramatically curtailed. Have you read about the changes many politicians want to make to these programs?

Old 02-22-2018, 07:18 PM

7,330 posts, read 4,179,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
IF the time comes. The OP's health is not great, but she may never need to go into a nursing home. (Knock on wood!)

Old 02-22-2018, 07:21 PM

6,446 posts, read 3,368,497 times
Put as much thought, planning, research, and effort into staying fit and healthy as you do for your finances, and your chances of ending up in a nursing home can go way down.

Old 02-22-2018, 10:27 PM

8,214 posts, read 11,932,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
Better yet, if I have to face the prospect of going to a nursing home at an exorbitant cost that would drain my assets to zero, I'm going to call my sister and tell her to come visit immediately (wink, wink), go out to the garage, start the engine, and close the garage door! I'll even lay in the cargo compartment of my station wagon on my Weather-Tech cargo mat, so I don't mess up the car! Problem solved!
Every time the subject of nursing homes come up, people flippantly reply that they will just kill themselves instead of ending up in one. The problem with such "planning" is that there's a good chance you could suffer a stroke out of the blue, rendering you incapable of carrying out your "plan."

Old 02-22-2018, 10:44 PM

878 posts, read 472,172 times
True, anyone could theoretically stroke out in the next second but that's not the norm. Euthanasia is going to be huge thing. The medical profession has been somewhat resistant in most states because it doesn't want to be accused of killing people on purpose.

Maybe it would be a good specialty for incompetent doctors to practice, if they screw up, the patient lives.

Is it really a bad thing to let someone die in a peaceful way, at the time and place of their choice? I made some bad investments and can't afford / don't want to waste away in a nursing home until the bitter end. Not going to outlive my money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement