U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2018, 03:16 PM

56,266 posts, read 54,712,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter Sucks View Post
The depressing point the OP was making is that what good is it to save up a big nest egg only to have it go to pay a nursing home?
Because you will provide jobs for the people who have to feed you and wipe your ass.

While that may not have been your first choice, it makes your life of some value even if you are incapacitated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2018, 04:14 PM

107 posts, read 57,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
stroke and being paralyzed is far to common for my taste as well as dementia are our biggest threats in my family . we went through it with my dad already .
could you explain a little about your dad. You said he lived in a house with a few people. Was it a licensed care home? Just curious. If he was poor, how could he afford to live there and what care did he need. Did you have to kick in some $$

Seems one of the best ways to go is if you can afford to buy a house, buy a 3-4 bedroom. Provide free rent in exchange for some help (depending upon how much help) such as one meal a day cooked and bathing assistance. Once you get into toiletring someone, forget it.

Would need another room and that person change your diapers 2x per day.

Seems it is going mostly to IHSS. meaning the 50% or so who do not need LTC, a portion of those are getting IHSS. I read on CMS website where it is much more econonomical. On average, 3 people getting ihss hours equal one person confined to a skilled nursing home.

Eventually that may be almost all that is offered with the cuts. Some IHSS hours. Also instead of 2 people to a room, making it 4 people to a room.

Old 02-25-2018, 04:33 PM

71,909 posts, read 71,942,576 times
They were a husband and wife who had years of healthcare experience. My father remarried very late in life so his wife found this couple. They were in florida and we were in ny.

His pension and ss was 50 bucks a month over the medicaid limit so a snf was out. I think it was about 1k a month back then for the care he got .His wife paid about 1/2 and my sister and i split the rest.

He was paralyzed totally ,speechless and really did not know who we were most of the time

Old 02-25-2018, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
They were a husband and wife who had years of healthcare experience. My father remarried very late in life so his wife found this couple. They were in florida and we were in ny.

His pension and ss was 50 bucks a month over the medicaid limit so a snf was out. I think it was about 1k a month back then for the care he got .His wife paid about 1/2 and my sister and i split the rest.

He was paralyzed totally ,speechless and really did not know who we were most of the time
thanks mathjack. Sorry to hear that

Old 02-25-2018, 04:52 PM

2,631 posts, read 1,942,432 times
First off, if you don't make kids (one way or another) you're going to have to plan on a possible "self-controlled" exit from this life. Old age and things like Alzheimers are not designed for nulliparous people. Unless you have oodles of extra money you need to insure that at some point, you may need to be capable of "exit stage left" (if you know what I mean). It actually happens a lot. People just don't talk about it.

Unfortunately, the Hemlock Club box, once easy to obtain, is no longer attainable. I guess there's still rope or a pistol though. (Messy of course, but once you're dead, what do you care?)

Old 02-25-2018, 06:03 PM

29,829 posts, read 34,912,438 times
I am hoping to hold on until they have Virtual Reality rooms and that will make SNF a lot more entertaining.

Old 02-25-2018, 08:40 PM

13,716 posts, read 8,612,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNSLPPTSO13 View Post
...........And then when the money runs out they will jump on any leftover assets you may still own and dry those up...what happens next??? Why even try??...........
Because you might get lucky.
You might get lucky and maintain your health enough to continue to be very active well into your 80's and 90's.
Being broke and bored can shorten your life. And if you don't work at creating an income you can't outlive, "broke and bored" may very well describe your life.

It's a self-fulling prophecy. Don't save because a nursing home will get the money, and in the end you will end up in a nursing home because you didn't save.

Old 02-25-2018, 09:08 PM

Whoever commented about staying active and fit is probably correct. We worry about costs but not reducing the risk of Skilled Nursing in the obvious fashion. Statistics all over, read about a 50/50 chance admittance to a nursing home. No one wants to pay for it. Even those who prepared with a sizable savings. What a waste of $$

Exercising pretty hardcore like working up to running 5 miles a day. Cycling at least 10 miles a day, preferably 20 miles.... Eat right. Grow your own food. My bet is...by doing that, you will be doing better by reducing your chances of ever entering a rest home

Retired. The Senior has 24 hours in a day. Cycling, running, and eating right cannot take up much time.

Reduce the burden on the taxpayers...reduce the chance of becoming a burden on taxpayers... this way since most everyone I've known, who exercise hardcore, they DONT end up in skilled nursing, live longer...into their early-mid nineties...and tend to die quicker. In fact, short of a cycling accident, no-one i can think of from our bicycling group (Sacramento Wheelman) EVER ended up in a nursing home except maybe a few for a short period of time- less than 90 days. We've had heart attacks, cancer which ended their lives quickly.

We've had many deaths throughout the years. NO ONE I can recall remained in skilled nursing for any length of time.
This particular cycling group is full of male retirees who cycle hardcore.

Departing this world very quickly= Less pain

I think I'll stay on this path, remain with my 75K skilled nursing savings (what is that, 6 months worth?) eat healthy and pray. 50/50 chance off the bat reduced by over half from what I've seen.

We don't live in pollution riddled Sacramento anymore but in the Sierras. Hopefully clean air & water reduces the likelihood of Skilled Nursing admissions too.

Old 02-26-2018, 05:50 AM

2,886 posts, read 1,412,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BushyEyeBrows View Post
Whoever commented about staying active and fit is probably correct. We worry about costs but not reducing the risk of Skilled Nursing in the obvious fashion. Statistics all over, read about a 50/50 chance admittance to a nursing home. No one wants to pay for it. Even those who prepared with a sizable savings. What a waste of $$

Exercising pretty hardcore like working up to running 5 miles a day. Cycling at least 10 miles a day, preferably 20 miles.... Eat right. Grow your own food. My bet is...by doing that, you will be doing better by reducing your chances of ever entering a rest home

Retired. The Senior has 24 hours in a day. Cycling, running, and eating right cannot take up much time.

o.

I want to also add mental exercise. first, get off the depressing band wagon. Notice how very few people here will post the "good" stories about retirement or old age. Why is that?

Does no one now seniors who are active and happy? Is everyone;s relatives broke down?

LOL you know who my heros are? My 100 year old Aunt, girlfriend turned 100 last year we had a huge party in DISNEYWORLD for her and sistah girl had a blast. no she did not ride the rides but they treated her like royalty. Yes she needs a walker to get around and it's god awful slow but she lives at home with her 72 year old daughter and the family chips in and pays for in home help for her.

My dad, died peacefully in his sleep at 85. Watched a yankee's game on tv, had a steak and Jack Daniels for dinner and simply never woke up. He was a NYC beat cop and walk his entire life, the doctors swore that's why he never had major health issues.

Now I don't have LT healthcare insurance but I do have a solid plan in place for care if needed.

LOL and lastly I intended to be a HUGE burden on my kids. Yeah baby, payback is a **&^.

Old 02-26-2018, 06:05 AM

6,229 posts, read 5,373,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNSLPPTSO13 View Post
So that was my point on my original post....Why skimp and save and sacrifice and deprive yourself during your working life for when just one accident,one illness,one misfortune could put you in the nursing home or in need for personal assistance,etc. and most likely you will become a Medicaid statistic.?.
Most of us won't won't even earn enough in a lifetime of work to be able to reachthe amounts needed as mentioned here.

Why even try?
Some may argue that government programs might be scaled back or not even exist in the future. It would be career suicide for the politicians, and the politicians know entitlement programs earn votes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement