Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2018, 09:10 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Capitalism as a system is dependent upon and built upon a pool of low-paid workers at the bottom.

It's one reason the minimum wage is so low.

You don't really think that there are enough jobs in the U.S. for everyone which pay $30 per hour, do you?
The main reason that the minimum wage is "so low" and other jobs aren't paying more is the American Immigration Policy. And lack of enforcement, therein.

The Immigration System of importing a pool of uneducated, unskilled, illiterate, dependent workers. AND the pool of foreign H1B visa holders who have no intention of becoming Americans, and who are held captive by their companies. And who make up HALF of Silicon Valley workers.

FTFY.

Let's compare it to Canada's, shall we?

Capitalism and the rule of law, is the best economic system in the world, providing EVERY individual the path to economic and social class achievement and freedom. Starting with private property rights which are slowly being attacked by politicians and states.

Fundamentals:
  • Finish school
  • Don't get married and/or have kids you can't afford and too young
  • Work
  • Don't drink or use drugs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2018, 09:13 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Of course it is permanent for many people. I wasn't saying that people stay at minimum wage (although many do), I was saying that people remain in low wages. Low wages can be, for example, $15 per hour or $18 per hour.

A very large number of adults make between $25,000 and $35,000 per year.

Capitalism as a system depends upon this pool of lower paid workers.

You don't seem to know much about the under-class.
I can guarantee you that I've been poorer than most people. The reason why I'm not poor now...my attitude. I was a business major in college. I know all about how capitalism works. Yes, there needs to be a pool of low wage workers. However, that doesn't mean that every single individual worker has to stay low wage. As one low page worker moves up, another will take their place. Capitalism will go on, but everyone doesn't have to fall victim.

Old 02-26-2018, 09:15 AM

106,672 posts, read 108,833,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
The main reason that the minimum wage is "so low" and other jobs aren't paying more is the American Immigration Policy. And lack of enforcement, therein.

The Immigration System of importing a pool of uneducated, unskilled, illiterate, dependent workers. AND the pool of foreign H1B visa holders who have no intention of becoming Americans, and who are held captive by their companies. And who make up HALF of Silicon Valley workers.

Let's compare it to Canada's, shall we?

Capitalism and the rule of law, is the best economic system in the world, providing EVERY individual the path to economic and social class achievement. Starting with private property rights which are slowly being attacked by politicians and states.

FTFY.
in these parts not many americans want to deliver Chinese food on a bicycle in the winter , wash dishes or get loaded on the back of a landscape truck for 5 bucks an hour .

i can't say around here we have jobs taken by unskilled imported labor that americans even want .

Old 02-26-2018, 09:17 AM

Why are people fixed on minimum wage? Whose career plan is based around always making the minimum?

Old 02-26-2018, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
in these parts not many americans want to deliver Chinese food on a bicycle in the winter , wash dishes or get loaded on the back of a landscape truck for 5 bucks an hour .

i can't say around here we have jobs taken by unskilled imported labor that americans even want .
LoL.

Did you miss the part that the reason it's 5 bucks an hour is because unskilled, uneducated and illiterate immigrants WILL?

If they're not then who is? Traditionally it would be students, entry level and intentionally part time workers.

That logic escapes me.

I know a little about the labor force having had a retail store and my WINTER manager WAS a professional landscaper.

I also live in Florida. Case closed ha ha.

It's time to turn the spigot OFF, and let everything soak...which has historically proven to provide the reset for over a hundred years.

Old 02-26-2018, 09:21 AM

there are just jobs that americans have no interest in and even on their best day are so low skill that they either pay minimum wage or less than min wage and count on tips .

there will never be higher wages in anything people can easily do for themselves without a union or tips creating an artificial market rate. here in nyc doormen make a lot of money as an example . how about those elevator operators that push the buttons for you . at one time they got paid nicely .

Old 02-26-2018, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
there are just jobs that americans have no interest in and even on their best day are so low skill that they either pay minimum wage or less than min wage and count on tips .

there will never be higher wages in anything people can easily do for themselves without a union or tips creating an artificial market rate. here in nyc doormen make a lot of money as an example .
I know you are my generation so you remember quite well who was doing "those jobs" not that long ago.

Your premise is false.

I own a dog walking company and turn business away. I have people paying >$20,000 a year EACH for daily service. And at any given time I have at least two of those high demand people in conjunction with THOUSANDS of other jobs per year. Literally thousands.

Old 02-26-2018, 09:25 AM

we had lots of high paying jobs with not even low skills , i mean no skills at one time . but eventually markets decide what is correct pay and value .

i know i spent my life staying one step ahead of the curve modifying my skills to slide in to areas of my skill set others have not yet .

Old 02-26-2018, 09:26 AM

Quote:
I know you are my generation so you remember quite well who was doing "those jobs" not that long ago.

Your premise is false.

I own a dog walking company and turn business away. I have people paying >$20,000 a year EACH for daily service.
let us wok your dog ha ha ha ha

Old 02-26-2018, 09:27 AM

Quote:

Your premise is false.

I own a dog walking company and turn business away. I have people paying >$20,000 a year EACH for daily service.
Run, did you pay all of your workers $20/hr in your retail store?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement