Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 10:57 PM

9,521 posts, read 16,503,270 times

Advertisements

Yes many of the states that don't have an income tax are very conservative. I think only Washington and New Hampshire would be the only liberal ones. Florida doesn't have income tax but many liberal areas are now unaffordable and or overcrowded. Western Wash and Southern NH. are the liberal regions in those 2 states. Texas isn't bad in some regions, but as anywhere including Washington and New Hampshire or Fla. Not every place is for everyone. I know I don't want the Pacific Northwest although it is beautiful. Im not from here originally. I don't care for this climate, and I can't stand Oregon its weird politics and many strange people. If I had to choose between Washington State and Oregon though. Washington is the much better choice.

Does anyone have a place for this criteria. A smaller city/town but in decent range of a bigger city. Not so family oriented that it is the dominant trait nor being overly religious. Not the most expensive areas of the country. Not extremely conservative or liberal, definitley not another Portland so forget the Austin area. Not a fridgid climate. It has walking/bike trails and some nature around not completely urban. Shopping and Medical nearby. Some type of bus system in the community. A place to get a part time job nothing special just a little job. A place that even if it has an income tax isn't a state that would tax my pension at a skyhigh rate. I like a place that is just a mixture not into dominant anything or types of peoples or culture, and do not want anything like Portland, Oregon that brags about itself but doesn't really live up to its publicity. Does the place exist for a gay person? Probably not but it doesn't hurt to ask.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2010, 03:31 AM

1,461 posts, read 1,528,373 times
I retired to Denver. Not a day goes by that I am not thankful that I moved here.

Old 02-14-2010, 04:33 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,180,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newhandle View Post
I retired to Denver. Not a day goes by that I am not thankful that I moved here.
That's a great feeling to have. I love the place I retired to. There is hardly a day that I don't turn a corner or walk down the street and am not suddenly hit with the feeling of how wonderful the place is, and how lucky I am to have ended up here.

I spent forty plus years living in Manhattan, and enjoyed gay life and all its changes there from 1959 to 2000. Now I know two gay people in town, but I find my present life just as satisfying and personally fulfilling as the one in New York was.

Autres temps, autres moeurs.

Old 02-14-2010, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
That's a great feeling to have. I love the place I retired to. There is hardly a day that I don't turn a corner or walk down the street and am not suddenly hit with the feeling of how wonderful the place is, and how lucky I am to have ended up here.

I spent forty plus years living in Manhattan, and enjoyed gay life and all its changes there from 1959 to 2000. Now I know two gay people in town, but I find my present life just as satisfying and personally fulfilling as the one in New York was.

Autres temps, autres moeurs.
Must be the South of France.

Old 02-14-2010, 11:23 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,180,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Must be the South of France.
No, the French was misleading perhaps....it's the southwest coast of Portugal.

Old 02-14-2010, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
No, the French was misleading perhaps....it's the southwest coast of Portugal.

I envy you. I wish I had the courage and means to take on such a feat in life. Retire in another country. Good for you.

Old 02-14-2010, 12:05 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,515,219 times
HOPE this helps...I'm Gay too....

Place to retire that's Gay Friendly and NOT High Heat? Maybe this is the thread...it's all I could find doing a Forum Search!

Old 02-15-2010, 05:46 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,515,219 times
I did another Forum Search...maybe this will be more helpful...GOOD LUCK.... Best City for Gay Man to Enjoy Retirement? PITTS :-)

Old 02-15-2010, 10:00 AM

Does anyone have any other suggestions on this topic. I don't seem to have any recommendations, sort of like having a writing block.

For awhile I thought of Austin and then decided it was not for me. I heard to many comparisons to Portland and I don't care to ever live in a city like Portland again. I have no desire to live in places where their city slogans are "Keep------Weird". Places where the population actually lives up to thier slogan. Thats fine when your 25 but I don't want it in my 60's.

I have found to be very cautious when researching. I have learned to really be careful of places that are receiving a tremendous amount of publicity. Portland received alot but it is diminishing now I think. I have found many places are being marketed to target audiences mainly. The higher income retiree. The married couple. The young 20 to 30 something looking for whatever. Unfortunately so many have come to Portland a city that has perennial high unemployment second only to Detroit. Its a city with so many alternative types. Im not sure it has an actual idenity beyond mountain views, alternative people and unemployment for these people.

Im not sure a big city is for everyone as they get older whether they be st8 or gay. Many gays seem to think we all must live in the big city. A big city can make you more isolated than smaller cities in many ways. I think Atlanta is so sprawled out, I can't imagine driving in that LA type of traffic gridlock. I don't think every gay person would want to spend most of their time, in one neighborhood as a way to deal with all that gridlock. Some people in Atlanta do that as a means to deal with all that traffic.

So I do envy people that find their place and just get on with it. Move there accept thier decision, and make a life for themself in thier new location.

Old 02-15-2010, 10:33 AM

5,089 posts, read 15,397,079 times
Older People, Gay or Not Gay, all need the same amenities that gives good qualities of life. A safe area; An area with good public transit; excellent health care. Perhaps you need to add weather, depending on your health condition.

I an not Gay. I like Denver because it does not have many extremes. It is not too cold and not to hot. It is cold enough to control bugs and diminish the weird people who seem to gravitate to much warmer climates. It is dry enough to control the humidity but not too dry.

The city is big enough for all encompasses services of health care, entertainment and most importantly an excellent public transit but not too big to make it the hurried lifestyle.

Denver has a big enough maturity to accept different types of people but does not have the extreme prejudices and extreme behavior you see in other areas.

Denver is clean, progressive, conservative, liberal, gay, not gay, christian, non christian, exciting, boring, White, Hispanic, Asian, Black, relaxing, entertaining, laid back, aggressive, young, old.

Yes, Denver is everything but never to the extreme. Denver is the Queen City of the Great Plains and the Gateway to the Rocky Mountains. Perhaps you need to look to the West; the West of the Imagination; the West of Your Imagination. For what you Imagine, will become your Wish.

Livecontent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement