Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 07:44 PM

4 posts, read 29,292 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I am looking for suggestions for a place to retire that is gay friendly. I wish to be in a place that I can feel comfortable. I am not into the gay social scene. I merely wish to feel relaxed and secure. I prefer a place that is more urban with close by shopping. Use of my car should be optional.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2008, 09:04 PM

9,521 posts, read 16,503,270 times
What regions of the country are more appealing too you.

Old 03-24-2008, 05:07 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,271,680 times
We had a wonderful whole thread not so long ago on just this subject. It probably is findable if you would like to look.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 03-26-2008, 08:28 PM

4 posts, read 29,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
What regions of the country are more appealing too you.
Hi!
I want states with no state income tax. Love Washington state west of the cascades (Seattle area). I am a former Texas resident. I prefer a more liberal and gay friendly area. I like associating with older or more mature folks and hopefully not too many families. Housing costs are any issue. Urban life is increasingly appealing to me (driving should be an option-not a necessity).

I am open to suggestions as to the state or area.

Old 03-27-2008, 12:41 PM

1,325 posts, read 4,195,685 times
Why not Austin? I was thinking of Austin, however, as a former Texas resident I am sure you've thought this through and must have ruled it out?

I would love to hear your thoughts about AUS.. thanks

Old 03-27-2008, 02:06 PM

1,325 posts, read 4,195,685 times
Thank you tootsie. You are most helpful!

Old 04-01-2008, 10:30 AM

1,862 posts, read 3,342,130 times
I am gay, and I live in Massachusetts.

I like it here - big gay community, you can't be fired or turned down for housing because of being gay, you can marry, you can go to Provincetown on weekends, you can go to Ogunquit, Maine which is very gay-friendly.

There are many different towns around Boston. You'd want to look for those that have more of an adult population - not nuclear families. I live in Salem, which is a pretty hip town, what with all our witches. If they can be open, nobody cares about gays!

If I were you, I'd look at the demographics of towns near Boston - you can find that on the web for anyplace in the U.S., I believe. In any case, you can certainly find all that information on Massachusetts.

New Hampshire, next door, has no state income tax, but the property taxes are high.

Old 02-10-2010, 10:10 PM

13 posts, read 56,860 times
realizing a couple years have past since the post regarding gay friendly retirement, I am wondering if the thread nancy thereader suggests is still available?

Old 02-11-2010, 03:43 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,618,410 times
I lived in Seattle for about twenty years and have a friend who's a retired lesbian. She didn't even tell me she was gay until I'd known her for about ten years when we worked together. She retired in a 55+ community in a suburb of Seattle and really loves it there. There aren't many states that don't have a state income tax and quite a few of them are very conservative. Also, states that don't have a state income tax generally have high property taxes (such as Texas) and high sales taxes because they have to get the money somehow. I live in Tennessee now which doesn't have a state income tax but it's a pretty conservative state and I doubt you'd find it very appealing. I think western Washington (but definitely not eastern Washington) would be an excellent choice. Good luck.

Old 02-11-2010, 10:30 PM

13 posts, read 56,860 times
thanks MontanaGuy!! interesting - I lived in Nashville for 23 years and loved it there have been in Texas since '97 and AM NOT IMPRESSED yes, high property taxes and corrupt government have had a very successful business but time to move on to greener pastures to save my sanity!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement