U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2018, 02:31 PM

5,014 posts, read 3,514,471 times

Advertisements

I moved to Arizona after two very bad falls in Minnesota the winter before last. I just had to get away from snow & ice & after visiting here last summer I decided this was it.

But, I am also a loner & not totally sure I fit. Yet, each night when I watch the beautiful sunsets, I am so glad I am here. It's different for me as I do drive & have the freedom of a good, reliable car & the knowledge the senior center is close & I can go there for company if I choose to.

Part of me misses the green & the lakes I grew up with. Most of me is still very thrilled that I could have my windows open in March.

Right now it's a day to day thing as I learn my way around but, in general I am so very happy I moved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2018, 04:09 PM

4,065 posts, read 2,595,175 times
Has anybody made a long distance move, out of state at age 75? Just turned 75. Have lived in this area since I was 13 and very established. I hate the government in California with a burning passion and it's going to get worse with a new governor coming.

Old 04-14-2018, 04:58 PM

4,742 posts, read 3,302,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Has anybody made a long distance move, out of state at age 75? Just turned 75. Have lived in this area since I was 13 and very established. I hate the government in California with a burning passion and it's going to get worse with a new governor coming.
I will turn 76 tomorrow. I live in central New York, land of taxes, snow, cold, ice, etc.

I would like to move but feel too scared. Finances are not wonderful. I have a little in a savings acct but would have to find out if withdrawal would affect the IRA retirement check I get every month. I need to check this out. But then where do I want to go? What is a realistic move for me? Yes, people will say visit places, stay awhile, get a feel for the place. But not sure my savings would stretch that far and then cover a move. I don't know if my fear is real or just a protective thing I've learned.

Where are you thinking of moving? Keep us posted!

Old 04-14-2018, 05:00 PM

12,178 posts, read 5,263,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
I will turn 76 tomorrow. I live in central New York, land of taxes, snow, cold, ice, etc.

I would like to move but feel too scared. Finances are not wonderful. I have a little in a savings acct but would have to find out if withdrawal would affect the IRA retirement check I get every month. I need to check this out. But then where do I want to go? What is a realistic move for me? Yes, people will say visit places, stay awhile, get a feel for the place. But not sure my savings would stretch that far and then cover a move. I don't know if my fear is real or just a protective thing I've learned.

Where are you thinking of moving? Keep us posted!
Happy Birthday

Old 04-14-2018, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Happy Birthday

Thank you!

Old 04-14-2018, 05:03 PM

I sometimes question if one should be moving in their mid 70s without much if any family support to another place where everything is new. It just seems it would be very hard.

Old 04-14-2018, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I sometimes question if one should be moving in their mid 70s without much if any family support to another place where everything is new. It just seems it would be very hard.
I've been divorced since 1983. I have not had any support from anyone all of these years. Yes, you are right, it sure does make things hard. But while I don't like it, I'm used to it. Sometimes staying in this area is very depressing because while I do have family here, it's non-supportive. I keep thinking I need to get away from the sad memories and make new memories. It's not easy but I've done it before. I just need courage, kind of like the lion in the Oz movie.

Old 04-14-2018, 05:11 PM

Quote:
I've been divorced since 1983. I have not had any support from anyone all of these years. Yes, you are right, it sure does make things hard. But while I don't like it, I'm used to it. Sometimes staying in this area is very depressing because while I do have family here, but it's non-supportive. I keep thinking I need to get away from the sad memories and make new memories. It's not easy but I've done it before. I just need courage, kind of like the lion in the Oz movie.
I totally get it. I think it comes down to the individual person, their general health and finances. No one should have to live somewhere they don't like when retired.

Old 04-15-2018, 07:23 AM

2,514 posts, read 2,134,238 times
Quote:
I've been divorced since 1983. I have not had any support from anyone all of these years. Yes, you are right, it sure does make things hard. But while I don't like it, I'm used to it. Sometimes staying in this area is very depressing because while I do have family here, it's non-supportive. I keep thinking I need to get away from the sad memories and make new memories. It's not easy but I've done it before. I just need courage, kind of like the lion in the Oz movie.
First of all HAPPY BIRTHDAY NYGal!
Second, I hear you and we are going to move and will have some family nearby so it's not as daunting as totally starting over BUT what really does factor in with this is that while I might not love where we are now and you don't love where you are, it is familiar and you have your ways. I am not just talking about directions of being familiar with an area, but the comfort of the familiar. You have your doctors, you know which stores, etc. While this is not something that can't evolve, I think the comfort level is going to be very unsettling for me. Still going ahead with it, but it's a concern.

Old 04-15-2018, 07:27 AM

19,023 posts, read 9,802,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyM View Post
I have been planning to move from Illinois to Florida or another state for many years,
after I retired, especially, a few years ago. I have the money saved and a mortgage
approval but am afraid of moving there alone as a senior single where I know no one at all. I have no one
special at home. or in my life.I worry about finding new doctors and establishing myself in a condo and a whole new city, though I have visited the area many times. Done much research on the internet.
I also have a serious health concern (no disease yet) and have low energy to get things done.
Just thinking about leaving this mediocre apartment building after decades makes me very very nervous.

How can I motivate myself to do this? It was always my dream to move to a sunny area where nature is scenic instead of the blah weather and environs.
yeah it's stressful to move and have to set up a new social network, where to shop, where to get services, etc. but if you are unhappy where you are, just do it and face down your fears....only live once (unless Hindu)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement