U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2018, 08:17 AM

4,668 posts, read 3,243,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
First of all HAPPY BIRTHDAY NYGal!
Second, I hear you and we are going to move and will have some family nearby so it's not as daunting as totally starting over BUT what really does factor in with this is that while I might not love where we are now and you don't love where you are, it is familiar and you have your ways. I am not just talking about directions of being familiar with an area, but the comfort of the familiar. You have your doctors, you know which stores, etc. While this is not something that can't evolve, I think the comfort level is going to be very unsettling for me. Still going ahead with it, but it's a concern.
Thank you! Another year older, but this time, not deeper in debt!!

Thank you for your message. You are so right. I am comfortable here. I finally found a primary care doctor that I really like. It has not been easy to find one, have fired a few doctors to get here!

I think I just want change. I can probably jazz up my life by visiting all the neat places here in NY state. Our local paper (on-line) ran a series of best places to visit with a picture and small description. I just need incentive to get up out of the chair and go.

Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2018, 08:52 AM

5,822 posts, read 13,315,622 times
Several friends moved to the south due to weather, cost, etc. Unfortunately most moved back within a few years due to health and needing family nearby. Another couple moved back as they had little to do that they enjoyed, limited shopping, and few friends. Be careful what you wish for. Maybe put things in storage and rent for awhile.

Old 04-15-2018, 10:22 AM

11,985 posts, read 5,119,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
Several friends moved to the south due to weather, cost, etc. Unfortunately most moved back within a few years due to health and needing family nearby. Another couple moved back as they had little to do that they enjoyed, limited shopping, and few friends. Be careful what you wish for. Maybe put things in storage and rent for awhile.
But we're all different in that respect. Some don't have family or family members that are of any help where they live. Speaking for myself, I don't like shopping or malls or fancy restaurants. I'm quite happy shopping at whatever local stores there are, eating at mom and pop places and now most things can be bought online. I haven't been to the local mall in about 5 years.
As far as things to do, my hobbies go with me.

Old 04-15-2018, 01:08 PM

5,822 posts, read 13,315,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
But we're all different in that respect. Some don't have family or family members that are of any help where they live. Speaking for myself, I don't like shopping or malls or fancy restaurants. I'm quite happy shopping at whatever local stores there are, eating at mom and pop places and now most things can be bought online. I haven't been to the local mall in about 5 years.
As far as things to do, my hobbies go with me.
True everyone is different but no matter where you choose to move, before packing up and moving I would rent for a couple of months before investing in buying a place. Plus, it gives you a chance to look at various places in the area you are considering.

Old 04-15-2018, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
True everyone is different but no matter where you choose to move, before packing up and moving I would rent for a couple of months before investing in buying a place. Plus, it gives you a chance to look at various places in the area you are considering.
That's good advice. However, renting for a while eats up money that can be spent on buying another house. Renting means a deposit which is sometimes substantial. Also if you do this several times in different places, months and maybe a few years go buy without still having a home to call your own and most of us aren't getting younger. At some point, one needs to decide where to go. No place will be perfect unless you have lots of money and live somewhere like Santa Barbara if that's what you like.
There's enough information on the web now that you shouldn't have any surprises where ever you move to. You can even virtually walk down every street in a town with google maps, look at neighborhoods, find out about climate, crime, demographics, churches, grocery stores and everything else. The only thing you don't know is who your neighbors are until you move and renting doesn't fix that.

Old 04-16-2018, 06:23 AM

23,579 posts, read 17,561,360 times
Quote:
That's good advice. However, renting for a while eats up money that can be spent on buying another house. Renting means a deposit which is sometimes substantial. Also if you do this several times in different places, months and maybe a few years go buy without still having a home to call your own and most of us aren't getting younger. At some point, one needs to decide where to go. No place will be perfect unless you have lots of money and live somewhere like Santa Barbara if that's what you like.
There's enough information on the web now that you shouldn't have any surprises where ever you move to. You can even virtually walk down every street in a town with google maps, look at neighborhoods, find out about climate, crime, demographics, churches, grocery stores and everything else. The only thing you don't know is who your neighbors are until you move and renting doesn't fix that.
There are still things you can't get without having "boots on the ground."

When I first moved to Indiana, I thought I wanted to live in one suburb. I chose another suburb, largely because I liked the location of the apartment better, and it was more reasonable. I'm glad I didn't choose the other one. Traffic in the one I didn't choose is especially bad.

Yes, Google street view is helpful, but many truly small towns are not mapped with street view. Sometimes the information is now fairly out of date (I've seen maps from 2012) where things might have changed a good bit. It is a starting point, but is by no means a complete picture.

Old 04-16-2018, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
There are still things you can't get without having "boots on the ground."

When I first moved to Indiana, I thought I wanted to live in one suburb. I chose another suburb, largely because I liked the location of the apartment better, and it was more reasonable. I'm glad I didn't choose the other one. Traffic in the one I didn't choose is especially bad.

Yes, Google street view is helpful, but many truly small towns are not mapped with street view. Sometimes the information is now fairly out of date (I've seen maps from 2012) where things might have changed a good bit. It is a starting point, but is by no means a complete picture.
That's a good point too but it's still very expensive for some people to move around every few months and rent to try to find the right spot. Not everyone can do it, not to mention the headache of moving several times even if you put most of your things in storage which is still another expense. For most older people, moving is not an easy task.
I hope google has plans to update soon. 4 - 5 years in any location can make a big difference in how it looks.

Old 04-16-2018, 06:42 AM

23,579 posts, read 17,561,360 times
Quote:
That's a good point too but it's still very expensive for some people to move around every few months and rent to try to find the right spot. Not everyone can do it, not to mention the headache of moving several times even if you put most of your things in storage which is still another expense. For most older people, moving is not an easy task.
I hope google has plans to update soon. 4 - 5 years in any location can make a big difference in how it looks.
I look at it like this.

If I don't know the area, have never really been there, and am moving in a hurry, I pick the most affluent suburban town I can otherwise afford that is a reasonable distance from where I need to be. When I moved to Iowa from Tennessee, it was on a month's notice and I had never been west of Nashville before that. I had nothing to go off of but googling information up and a couple of C-D posts (I was registered, but did not post frequently for the first year or so). You may get some stuff "wrong" like traffic, but it's unlikely that it will be a complete disaster following that advice.

As you get more rural/small town, things can rapidly. Downtown Kingsport has some stately homes on Watauga Drive that are essentially on the top of a hill. At the bottom of the hill are more working class/rundown homes. Many of the lots abut. That's not something you'd easily see from a street view.

If I can visit the area or if it's a place I can easily get to, then I'd feel more confident in buying. I'm in Knoxville, Asheville, and Greenville quite a bit. I think I could probably buy now and not make a bad decision. I'd have no idea what to look for beyond the most generic of information in, say, a small town in Utah.

Old 04-16-2018, 06:54 AM

I think the size of the town makes a big difference. If a small town has a very low crime rate there's little chance you're going to move into a bad neighborhood because there probably aren't any. That doesn't mean your next door neighbor might or might not be a drug dealer. Unless you do a background check on your next door neighbors and find criminal records, there's little chance of knowing unless you move in next door. Larger cities are harder since things can change quickly from one street to another.

Old 04-16-2018, 10:29 AM

2,432 posts, read 1,667,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
Thank you! Another year older, but this time, not deeper in debt!!

Thank you for your message. You are so right. I am comfortable here. I finally found a primary care doctor that I really like. It has not been easy to find one, have fired a few doctors to get here!

I think I just want change. I can probably jazz up my life by visiting all the neat places here in NY state. Our local paper (on-line) ran a series of best places to visit with a picture and small description. I just need incentive to get up out of the chair and go.

Thanks again.
Get out and enjoy as much as you can this spring, summer and fall. Those good experiences and memories may help you get you through next winter if your decide to stay. Just getting out and knowing you can do things that make your life more fulfilling may give you the confidence to make a move or to even decide you are happy where you are.

Bomb the Chat Thread with all the things you do during the next few months. You have people here that are rooting for you and would love to hear it. I’m one of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement