U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 02:30 PM

13,886 posts, read 25,316,043 times

Advertisements

I always saw it as an adventure. A do-over. New things to do and new places to explore. A chance to leave the same old, same old. If I had a lot of money I would probably move every few years!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2018, 05:12 PM

4,967 posts, read 3,454,424 times
I, too, was fearful of moving, even though I was not happy where I lived.

It took two bad falls in the snow to finally make me realize I could no longer live with the fear of falling & freezing.

In my case, Arizona CD folks helped me make the decision, just by the way they talked about their areas.

It wasn't easy to make such a drastic move but I am so glad I did.

Old 02-21-2018, 05:20 PM

8,954 posts, read 7,729,944 times
Florida is loaded with Doctors treating old people so cross that concern off your list. Elder care may actually be better there.

Look for a development that has a lot of social events. A great way to meet new folks.

Some developments offer transportation to malls, events, etc.

Look for over 55 developments.

Old 02-21-2018, 05:25 PM

4,382 posts, read 1,663,688 times
Everything will be fine. Florida is a civilized country, and in most respects, you will fit in as well as you do in Illinois.

Advice does not come wrapped up in a big bundle -- it comes in little pieces, as you need them. When you get to Florida, as each question arises, use your available resources to address them.

Some things will be hard, or impossible. Just work through or around them. That's the way life is.

Old 02-21-2018, 05:44 PM

3,688 posts, read 1,866,292 times
I relocated back to my home state of Texas 2.5 years ago, anticipating retirement. It wasn't all that easy, or that bad. I worked 2.5 more years, retired in December. That gave me time to get a house, get it mostly renovated.

I think you are just afraid of getting out of your circle of comfort. You've dreamed of it for years and now it is time to do it.

Sell most of your stuff, pack what you can in your car, and go....bite the bullet. If you don't you will never forgive yourself.

You can buy new stuff.

Old 02-21-2018, 06:20 PM

5,940 posts, read 5,297,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyM View Post
I have been planning to move from Illinois to Florida or another state for many years,
after I retired, especially, a few years ago. I have the money saved and a mortgage
approval but am afraid of moving there alone as a senior single where I know no one at all. I have no one
special at home. or in my life.I worry about finding new doctors and establishing myself in a condo and a whole new city, though I have visited the area many times. Done much research on the internet.
I also have a serious health concern (no disease yet) and have low energy to get things done.
Just thinking about leaving this mediocre apartment building after decades makes me very very nervous.

How can I motivate myself to do this? It was always my dream to move to a sunny area where nature is scenic instead of the blah weather and environs.
I moved alone. I knew no one.

I moved to a 55+. I wouldn't live anywhere else. If you go out and do things you will meet people. I had no interest in Florida so I moved to Arizona. Health care shouldn't be a concern. Top 100 hospital and any type of medical care you can think of within 2 miles for me. I am sure there are many 55+ with the same. I will add a link for where I am and it will give you an idea of what is out there.

Home - Sun City, Arizona - The Original Fun City!

I live in a small condo here and my housing costs for condo fee, taxes, electric, insurance, phone, internet, rec center fee, are about $400 a month. No mortgage. No schools so taxes are really low. Where else could I live with so much to do at that price?

Following your dreams should be enough motivation. You just have to get over those feelings of uncertainty.

Good luck!

Old 02-21-2018, 07:07 PM

1,008 posts, read 923,197 times
If there is nothing special where you are at then what is there to lose? Maybe simply sitting down and writing up all the pros and cons would help?

I moved not just to another state but to another country and I was ready to do that when I realized that there was absolutely nothing holding me back. I was unhappy and when my best friend moved away it was the last straw.

It was the best decision of my life!

Old 02-21-2018, 08:11 PM

5,190 posts, read 669,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyM View Post
I have been planning to move from Illinois to Florida or another state for many years,
after I retired, especially, a few years ago. I have the money saved and a mortgage
approval but am afraid of moving there alone as a senior single where I know no one at all. I have no one
special at home. or in my life.I worry about finding new doctors and establishing myself in a condo and a whole new city, though I have visited the area many times. Done much research on the internet.
I also have a serious health concern (no disease yet) and have low energy to get things done.
Just thinking about leaving this mediocre apartment building after decades makes me very very nervous.

How can I motivate myself to do this? It was always my dream to move to a sunny area where nature is scenic instead of the blah weather and environs.
Take it in baby steps.

I'm doing the same thing. The goal is to be on a Gulf Coast beach by October.

The way I get around this is to think of it as a year long vacation. If it doesn't work out I can always move back to the place of my birth in Western NYS. I still have family there and my brother is in Central NY so he wouldn't be too far.

I don't have any serious health problems (yet) but I am an introvert so I do worry about starting over in a completely unfamiliar place. However, I was in FL in January to go apartment hunting and was surprised how much I came out of my shell.

From what I've observed in FL there are enough medical facilities that cater to seniors so that should be the least of your problems. You can always ask your current doc to make recommendations. If s/he doesn't know s/he can find out for you.

Think of it as a grand adventure and be prepared to change course if you need to.

Old 02-21-2018, 08:20 PM

9 posts, read 3,418 times
Try the villages there are a lot of single woman lots of clubs to join in on its a safe happy friendly place and your not to far from Orlando an hour to good drs I would do a stay and play tour I think for a single woman this is a great place to live as you will have lots of woman like yourself and the plus is you really need a golf cart to go shopping and a lot of good restaurants all right in the community it clean and really a beautiful community go on www.talkofthevillages.com also another large community wymoor in coconut creek Fl also I understand your fear I lost my husband 5 yrs ago no family felt lost I feel an active adult community works as you will build friends and be safe in theses communities just imho

Old 02-21-2018, 08:45 PM

16,019 posts, read 19,670,751 times
A single friend of mine moved to Sun City, Fl. a few years ago. It was a senior type area, I think the whole city is seniors. Everyone drive golf carts around everywhere, even to the local Walmart. She absolutely loved it.

Lots of activities and ways to meet others in that community. She got involved with church, ladies groups, all sorts of community activity's and her being single didn't make her feel left out at all. I think her 2 bedroom was less than 700 mth. Maybe check that out.

Last edited by JanND; 02-21-2018 at 08:54 PM.. Reason: added text
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement