U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 09:59 PM

284 posts, read 259,249 times

Advertisements

We retired and made our move 1 year ago. Scary, yes, but so glad we did! In my retirement, I keep reminding myself of these Eagles song lyrics.

“So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
And we never even know we have the key”

Go live your dreams and enjoy this time of your life!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2018, 05:45 PM

5,232 posts, read 3,010,111 times
I never considered retirement until my mortgage was paid off, then I moved into retirement fast.

There are a variety of condos, mobile homes and town houses here in the Sunshine state. If you stay with 55+ they can be quite pleasant. All age is not as good.

Old 02-26-2018, 05:54 PM

625 posts, read 359,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I, too, was fearful of moving, even though I was not happy where I lived.

It took two bad falls in the snow to finally make me realize I could no longer live with the fear of falling & freezing.

In my case, Arizona CD folks helped me make the decision, just by the way they talked about their areas.

It wasn't easy to make such a drastic move but I am so glad I did.
Do you mind the heat in AZ? Is it very bad in summer?

Old 02-26-2018, 05:56 PM

625 posts, read 359,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
I moved alone. I knew no one.

I moved to a 55+. I wouldn't live anywhere else. If you go out and do things you will meet people. I had no interest in Florida so I moved to Arizona. Health care shouldn't be a concern. Top 100 hospital and any type of medical care you can think of within 2 miles for me. I am sure there are many 55+ with the same. I will add a link for where I am and it will give you an idea of what is out there.

Home - Sun City, Arizona - The Original Fun City!

I live in a small condo here and my housing costs for condo fee, taxes, electric, insurance, phone, internet, rec center fee, are about $400 a month. No mortgage. No schools so taxes are really low. Where else could I live with so much to do at that price?

Following your dreams should be enough motivation. You just have to get over those feelings of uncertainty.

Good luck!
I was looking on Zillow at Sun City and it looks so cute but again I wonder about the heat. Isn't it unbearable in the summer?

Old 02-26-2018, 06:51 PM

14,547 posts, read 17,537,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Re-invent yourself. I've done it a couple of times, and it's refreshing.

Over the years you fall into a kind of persona, which is partly imposed on you by your acquaintances and reinforced by their expectations of you. You don't always like whom you have become, you will have some bad habits, undesirable social attitudes, etc.

Go away to where nobody knows you, re-evaluate yourself, and become the person you really want to be and feel comfortable with. The only person who will notice the change is yourself.
Excellent, excellent words. Look upon it as the chance to let go of the baggage and find a new direction. Leave the baggage behind, and give yourself permission to have made mistakes, and learned from them, and in a place where nobody remembers the old you, be the better person inside who made it through.

Some worry the stress of a new place will be too hard, but once you let go of the cage you made for yourself, you may discover the 'you' who's been hiding inside all this time and has learned how to be stronger.

Three of the most powerful words ever are simple but vital. "Take a chance" will set you free to be the person hiding in the dark for so long. And only *you* can make that choice.

Old 02-26-2018, 07:12 PM

14,547 posts, read 17,537,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
I did this four years ago and would have moved earlier but the task of selling a house and downsizing is time consuming and bittersweet for a single person leaving family and friends behind. I moved 1,000 miles to a place I liked when I first visited at ten years old. I don't know your age but you mentioned potential health issues. Have that checked out to ease your mind and stress level as you prepare to move.

I have a better doctor and healthcare system than where I lived before but I have a few health issues now. Remember that you are getting older every day you don't move and moving tends to be invigorating and restorative -- learning new places and meeting new people is a good thing. I've made good friends, found a house I love, and everything has been as good or better than I expected. I take a trip back to see family and friends about every year and a half and I have visitors several times a year. With Facebook and email it is easy to stay connected. My daughter moved here a couple years ago so we are together about once a week.

Finding a church was the hardest part and was a bit of a surprise. If you were active in a church for 35 years it feels like you are walking in someone else's shoes Familiar but not the same. I joined Oasis and have been taking learning in retirement classes. There are plenty of Meetups to choose from.

My old friends said they wanted to do the same but weren't "brave" like me. I didn't see it as being brave -- just self fulfilling.
When I announced I was going to move, it was a surprise. I had formulated it already, but needed help. I picked a good moment to ask and wasn't sure if it was going to go, but they'd noticed I wasn't happy. But until it was set I hadn't said anything to anyone.

I did have a few 'what about' questions. But while not all of it was 'sure', I knew just how much I didn't like the now. And so I took a chance. Taking a chance when its going to liberate you from the past doesn't guarentee it will be perfect. But it won't be the old humdrum which is slowly sucking out the life in you.

Live in the time you are, not hiding under all the old baggage you have accumulated, and don't be afraid of setting yourself free.

Old 02-27-2018, 09:17 AM

22 posts, read 12,355 times
Thanks for your thoughtful replies. Having never owned a place, the financial part and responsibility feels overwhelming. Besides, I am at the lower end of the condo-apartment market. I cannot afford the apartment that I need or want--over 1100 a month (plus util.) over-10 years for 1 bed,,/plus pet fees. My only option then is purchasing a condo over a 30 year mortgage. Okay
. The kicker is that almost all of them have their entrances directly to the outside, no foyer, less security. Like a motel-hotel with a courtyard. Something about that disagrees with me! The 55+ community is fine. . Nashville-and Denver-same situation, expensive. I looked extensively around Denver.

Am I being too picky? I am also fearful of spending too much on housing.

Old 02-27-2018, 04:56 PM

13,315 posts, read 25,550,246 times
[quote=LuckyM;51159012]Thanks for your thoughtful replies. ...
. The kicker is that almost all of them have their entrances directly to the outside, no foyer, less security. Like a motel-hotel with a courtyard. .../QUOTE]

I thought most people preferred a direct entrance door as opposed to a hallway, stairwells, elevator. A direct entry feels more like a free-standing house, at least, that's what I've heard. But what matters is whether or not OP likes it. I would prefer it. For security, I wouldn't like a big main door like an apartment building and then hallways, etc. Lived in such in the city long enough and it didn't feel more secure to me.

Old 02-28-2018, 04:55 PM

4,964 posts, read 3,454,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by october2007 View Post
Do you mind the heat in AZ? Is it very bad in summer?
I've only been here since September. When I visited in July it wasn't bad. September was a bit warm for me.

This is supposed to be one of the cooler areas from what I've heard. I'll just have to wait & see what it's like in the summer. But, folks I've talked with say you just do things in the morning, when it's cool. And you can't beat the winter! Today it was cold & there were even snow flurries, which shocked me. That ended quickly though & the sun is shining once again.

Old 02-28-2018, 05:26 PM

1,317 posts, read 833,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by october2007 View Post
I was looking on Zillow at Sun City and it looks so cute but again I wonder about the heat. Isn't it unbearable in the summer?
Sun City is a very different area. While I'm not familiar with the area, I believe it's in the same valley as Phoenix.

Cochise County is between 15-20 degrees cooler than Phoenix and about 10 degrees cooler than Tuscon. Sun City is at 1200' elevation; we're at 4400' feet elevation. As meo mentioned, we did have a few flurries this morning. None stuck on the ground here, but the surrounding mountains got a light dusting of snow

Where we are we have less days of 100+ heat. In fact, last year we only had 3 days at 100. The mornings can be quite cold in the winter months, but we enjoy the beautiful afternoons
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement