U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 07:29 AM

3,150 posts, read 1,070,823 times

Advertisements

I know how you feel. I have degenerative osteoarthritis and want to move where I can get medical marijuana. I'm law abiding and can't get it in the state where I live. But my big old house is so comfortable, I have so many ties with the community and think I would be very sad if I left.

I read somewhere that five moves is equivalent to a death in the family in terms of stress. Moving is very stressful: New streets, new doctors, new everything. I don't know if I'm up to it. I've been in this house 12 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2018, 09:18 AM

27,092 posts, read 6,023,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyM View Post
I have been planning to move from Illinois to Florida or another state for many years,
after I retired, especially, a few years ago. I have the money saved and a mortgage
approval but am afraid of moving there alone as a senior single where I know no one at all. I have no one
special at home. or in my life.I worry about finding new doctors and establishing myself in a condo and a whole new city, though I have visited the area many times. Done much research on the internet.
I also have a serious health concern (no disease yet) and have low energy to get things done.
Just thinking about leaving this mediocre apartment building after decades makes me very very nervous.

How can I motivate myself to do this? It was always my dream to move to a sunny area where nature is scenic instead of the blah weather and environs.

I did this...moved to a new state, knowing no one. There were times prior to the move that I had to remind myself of the expected outcome, yes it was a bit unnerving at times....all worked out well. Easy to find a MD, made friends, enjoyed the area.

After 3 yrs I moved again, but was glad of the experiences...certainly increased my confidence level regarding new adventures.

Old 03-01-2018, 09:38 AM

8,790 posts, read 10,912,317 times
We moved to Florida from the midwest 45-years ago ... and have never regretted the move. We've also moved within Florida three times over the years. The first two times were work-related, and we were also involved in church and via the kids, with the community, schools, various events and neighbors.

The last post-retirement move (5+ years ago) has been the most difficult. The real problem is not with establishing new doctors, dentists, etc., but, with re-building new friendships (not just acquaintances) in retirement. Many of life's 'common connectors' no longer exist (school, kids, work, hobbies, entertainment, etc) and the process of meeting new people becomes a lot like 'speed dating.' An active church life has helped us, but, you will need to find your own 'connectors.'

Old 03-05-2018, 07:43 PM

480 posts, read 511,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyM View Post
Thanks for your thoughtful replies. Having never owned a place, the financial part and responsibility feels overwhelming. Besides, I am at the lower end of the condo-apartment market. I cannot afford the apartment that I need or want--over 1100 a month (plus util.) over-10 years for 1 bed,,/plus pet fees. My only option then is purchasing a condo over a 30 year mortgage. Okay
. The kicker is that almost all of them have their entrances directly to the outside, no foyer, less security. Like a motel-hotel with a courtyard. Something about that disagrees with me! The 55+ community is fine. . Nashville-and Denver-same situation, expensive. I looked extensively around Denver.

Am I being too picky? I am also fearful of spending too much on housing.
I know in south Florida, you can buy a condo in an older 55+ like Century Village, for less than 40K. At todayís interest rates that will give you a very low mortgage payment. In some instances itís cheaper to buy than to rent.

Moving is stressful. A few things make it less so. Money, being the first one. If you can afford to hire help, do so. Second, sell or donate as much furniture and accumulated junk that you can. Third, learn to go with the flow.

This is your only life. You most likely have more road behind you than in front of you. Move to Florida. You will make friends. Remember, everyone else at the 55+ is or has been in the same situation as you. They sold their home and relocated, likely knowing no one.

Do it! Iíve made three moves in three years. Itís not the most fun, but it beats staying where youíre unhappy.

Old 03-05-2018, 08:08 PM

3 posts, read 1,722 times
I know exactly how you feel. I have the same problem. Although, I have family here, I would like to try living somewhere else in my later years. I have even thought about living overseas maybe just for a year. However, I can relate to the anxiety. Hope you have the courage to make the right decision for you. I am still on the fence.

Old 03-05-2018, 08:11 PM

1,932 posts, read 1,002,614 times
I did it by myself. I am a single woman with no family. If I told you everything that went wrong, it would scare you to death, but I handled it. I bought a house after seeing it twice. I have two dogs. We ended up camping in the back yard when the closing was delayed

I wish I had done it sooner, I am so happy. My house payment including insurance and taxes is less than I was paying in rent. My only income is SS.

I think about moving again in a year or two because I know I can. I will be smarter next time.

Move! Maybe people move back home because they know they can do it. You don't have to stay if you don't like it.

Good luck. If you really want to do it, get up tomorrow and start getting ready.

Old 03-05-2018, 08:23 PM

3 posts, read 1,722 times
Default Moving and starting over

I know exactly what you mean. I have the same issue. It's a big decision especially being alone and starting over. I've thought about living overseas for a short time just to explore. I've lived here so long though and it's hard to get motivated or to know if it will be advantageous. Just would be nice to do something different. I've thought about making a list of pros and cons to rate what means the most to me. We'll see.

Old 03-05-2018, 09:14 PM

13,365 posts, read 25,664,310 times
I looked up some pictures of the NC town that OP initially mentioned and my, it is certainly pretty there. I can see why she is interested in it.

Old 03-06-2018, 05:33 AM

4,716 posts, read 3,287,251 times
^^^^Thank you...... I loved the pictures, too. Looking forward to visiting and getting acquainted with the area.

Last edited by NYgal1542; 03-06-2018 at 05:41 AM..

Old 03-06-2018, 05:40 AM

4,716 posts, read 3,287,251 times
The town I'm hoping to move to in NC is very pretty. It is small which works for me. Being able to walk to stores, shops, etc. will be fun and good for me. I love to explore new areas, drive around, stop and just love what I am seeing.

Have my work cut out for me. A lot to do and I've really gotten lazy. Need to build up strength, both physically and mentally. I've been in a slump for way too long...... depression probably. I really need this change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement