Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 11:42 AM

3,007 posts, read 3,132,655 times

Advertisements

After reading some reviews on telephone service on these forums, I decided to transfer 2 of our phones from T mobile to Consumer Cellular. First we had to wait for T mobile plan to be paid off, then they told us we had to wait 40 days. Then we had to have them unlock the two phones, which were part of a 4 phone plan originally. All this time we kept telling them we wanted to keep our phone numbers and not to cancel them.
so after getting new SIM cards from Consumer Cellular we installed them and called them to make the transfer. We gave them the info they asked for from the T-mobile account and they tried to submit it and said it was wrong. We had just got the info from T Mobile before we called.
they finally said that MY number was gone and would not be available to anyone, for 180 days. My husbands number supposedly ported okay. So they DID assign me a new number, after everyone promised that would not happen.
Now the next day after all this My phone is working under Consumer Cellular and my husband's is still not transfered, even though they promised it would be by ten o'clock last night.
Why does everything that should be easy, so bloody hard!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2018, 11:45 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,870,986 times
I use Tracfone. Easy, very inexpensive, and no contract.

Old 04-17-2018, 11:47 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,271,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
After reading some reviews on telephone service on these forums, I decided to transfer 2 of our phones from T mobile to Consumer Cellular. First we had to wait for T mobile plan to be paid off, then they told us we had to wait 40 days. Then we had to have them unlock the two phones, which were part of a 4 phone plan originally. All this time we kept telling them we wanted to keep our phone numbers and not to cancel them.
so after getting new SIM cards from Consumer Cellular we installed them and called them to make the transfer. We gave them the info they asked for from the T-mobile account and they tried to submit it and said it was wrong. We had just got the info from T Mobile before we called.
they finally said that MY number was gone and would not be available to anyone, for 180 days. My husbands number supposedly ported okay. So they DID assign me a new number, after everyone promised that would not happen.
Now the next day after all this My phone is working under Consumer Cellular and my husband's is still not transfered, even though they promised it would be by ten o'clock last night.
That is why I don't think I could ever switch! Scary

But then I think if you do, use a phone place that is more than just one that sells phones and contracts.

Old 04-17-2018, 11:55 AM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Since 2012, I've been with three different carriers - T-Mobile, Sprint, and Verizon. Verizon has the worst customer service, but is the only one that makes sense for my travel pattern.

A number port should be done nearly immediately.

Old 04-17-2018, 01:11 PM

17,343 posts, read 11,277,677 times
I just switched from Sprint to Consumer Cellular. My two year contract with Sprint ends in a couple of weeks. I chose not to keep the same phone number so I could keep both phones on for a while and make the transition easier.
I contacted Sprint to find out how to turn off their service at the end of the contract and they gave me a phone number to call once the contract was over.
So now, I'll see what kind of problems Sprint gives me if any. BTW, I already transferred all my data to the new phone including music, pictures and contacts. That was much easier than I thought it would be. So far, I'm having much better coverage with Consumer Cellular....no dropped calles and the other person comes in loud and clear every time. It's been great including when not on wi-fi for using the net.

Old 04-17-2018, 01:21 PM

Well just got off the phone with Consumer Cellular, some of their advantages and reasons I went with them in the first place No contracts, Low cost and discount if you are a AARP member, you can select various plans and change them at any time, you can bring your own compatible phones and get free SIM cards from them and their customer service is all US based.
anyway just got off the phone with them and we finally got husbands phone ported over too, SO fingers crossed all will be well now.

Old 04-17-2018, 01:52 PM

7,150 posts, read 4,903,640 times
We finally broke down and got a Smart phone with 2 Sim cards so we could have a US number and a Mexican number on one phone. We went with T-Mobil and it was a sweet transfer....from Tracfone. We are in US and head back to our MXN home next week and are hoping we can port our MXN number to this phone (won't know if Sim card will fit until we get there).

Impressed with Smart phone as we learn what it can do, etc.

Old 04-17-2018, 01:57 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,072,247 times
AFAIK, Consumer supplies an unlocked phone, so if you want to use your own phone in Europe, you can just buy a SIM card over there, install it, and you are set.

I have had Consumer for several years, have had good satisfaction with them. I moved from Quest, which when I first went with them was a local to Eastern WA company and had better coverage in the "Boonies" than most. Then they were bought out by a bigger company, I forget which one, and that was OK. Then they were traded to another company, which would have meant I would have to buy another phone and another 2 year contract, I had just bought a phone.

So I went over to Consumer, they ported all 3 numbers I had over, no problemo.

Your mileage may vary.

Old 04-17-2018, 02:30 PM

4,504 posts, read 3,030,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
Because people tolerate it.

I have had pretty much zero problems with my Jitterbug Great Call account, which I've had for about 5 years. At the first sign of trouble, I will bail out and go with Trac Phone from WalMart. I don't suffer fools. Period.

Old 04-17-2018, 03:33 PM

Well it seems that the majority of the problems I experienced were the result of things that T Mobile did not what Consumer Cellular did. So hopefully CC will be as good as people say. They are very much less expensive that what we had.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement