U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 12:41 PM

22 posts, read 12,378 times

Advertisements

I have been planning to move from Illinois to Florida or another state for many years,
after I retired, especially, a few years ago. I have the money saved and a mortgage
approval but am afraid of moving there alone as a senior single where I know no one at all. I have no one
special at home. or in my life.I worry about finding new doctors and establishing myself in a condo and a whole new city, though I have visited the area many times. Done much research on the internet.
I also have a serious health concern (no disease yet) and have low energy to get things done.
Just thinking about leaving this mediocre apartment building after decades makes me very very nervous.

How can I motivate myself to do this? It was always my dream to move to a sunny area where nature is scenic instead of the blah weather and environs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2018, 12:44 PM

7,108 posts, read 3,466,693 times
Moving is a lot of work and a lot of stress. That said, you have to figure out whether any particular move is worth it to you. Only you will know.

Old 02-21-2018, 12:51 PM

5,429 posts, read 3,455,723 times
It's probably a common theme. My parents always talked about moving to Florida for retirement. It never happened because they kept coming up with various excuses and reasons not to. Plus the draw, ties, and comfortability factors of continually to iive where they had for many decades (since birth actually) was too strong.

Moving alone through is highly doable.

Old 02-21-2018, 12:54 PM

27,798 posts, read 26,231,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyM View Post
I have been planning to move from Illinois to Florida or another state for many years,
after I retired, especially, a few years ago. I have the money saved and a mortgage
approval but am afraid of moving there alone as a senior single where I know no one at all. I have no one
special at home. or in my life.I worry about finding new doctors and establishing myself in a condo and a whole new city, though I have visited the area many times. Done much research on the internet.
I also have a serious health concern (no disease yet) and have low energy to get things done.
Just thinking about leaving this mediocre apartment building after decades makes me very very nervous.

How can I motivate myself to do this? It was always my dream to move to a sunny area where nature is scenic instead of the blah weather and environs.
What type of community will you be moving to? Hopefully it's somewhere other seniors will be (ie a 55+) - I've found that those types of communities have a lot to offer in the form of social activities as well as needed support for medical and other social needs......for example, my community has transportation available for people who need rides to their medical appts but can't arrange it or find a friend to drive them.

Moving will allow you to downsize, get rid of stuff, start fresh. Maybe rent for a year first to make sure you're up to living down here in FL, especially during the summer months when things get a little toasty.

Old 02-21-2018, 12:57 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,296,314 times
First of all, I know how you feel about the weather LuckyM as I am in Wisconsin Winter weather (and for the most part, months before winter and a few months after) really Suck!
When you say you have been planning.......what exactly do you mean by that? Make sure you visit places you're interested in and by that I mean, not just a "vacation"----but plan to stay for more than a week at a time and really LOOK around. Don't stay in a touristy part of town. Get to talking to the locals
It's understandable if you have low energy due to a health condition but just take your time and see if a trusted friend or relative can help you in your search, checking out area, etc.
It can be nerve wracking to think of leaving your "comfort zone" but ask yourself if you really want to be trapped there for the rest of your life. Life is very short and you have to take some gambles or you simply aren't living in my opinion
Come on now, you can do this

Old 02-21-2018, 01:07 PM

3,604 posts, read 1,646,099 times
We just moved from the Midwest to the southwest. I’ve moved enough in my life to know the first six months to take is slow and get the feel of what and where. If you can nail down which area or neighborhood you want to be in you can start searching local resources, doctors, etc.

Old 02-21-2018, 01:30 PM

13,322 posts, read 25,578,684 times
It would appear OP doesn't have a "trusted friend or relative", that is, the move is being enacted alone. While it's true that moving alone means you don't have to consider or cooperate with someone, it also means there is no one to keep up with or check in with or whatever.

OP says s/he has done a lot of visiting and research online, and reports being "very nervous." Is it nervousness to the point of being psychiatrically treatable? I have trepidation about my own move and leaving my comfort zone (although I am sure I will do it). I also did a lot of research online and met people online who I did and am in touch with in the new place.

Actually I had found a senior community in Vermont that I thought would suit me later on, but that I realize I cannot afford under any circumstances, so continued on with my dream of moving to a specific town in Colorado.

I agree with the poster who suggested that a senior community of some sort would be ideal. OP did not say if that was the area researched or mortgage approved.

As for making the move, one must make the decision that one is actually going. Then the tasks are dealt with a day at a time, be it arranging moving, making phone calls, whatever it is. I think OP might be having more personal issues with serious anxiety and maybe could get some help with that, since s/he has set up research adequately. Best wishes to OP and I hope we hear from you some more.

Old 02-21-2018, 01:54 PM

28,508 posts, read 62,235,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyM View Post
How can I motivate myself to do this?
Your post is laden with "I" statements.
Doing any of these things by ourselves is objectively tougher than with a partner.

1) Find some good help with the specific numbers aspect of things.
Know both what your desires cost but also what you can really afford on your own.
2) Find some good help with the subjective and emotional aspect of things.

Don't confuse the two sorts of help ...
but it will still be up to you to find a way to thread the needle between them.

Old 02-21-2018, 01:56 PM

21,905 posts, read 14,406,502 times
I think Minerva would have some pertinent thoughts about this. Look up her posts. She moved across country on her own.

Old 02-21-2018, 02:05 PM

3,924 posts, read 4,067,269 times
If not sufficiently moved to a confident YES Move yet, could try multiple FLA vacations per year and see if you want more or less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement