U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 12:02 PM

31,943 posts, read 20,133,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. That's an option
While a headache, you may end up with something you like way more than your existing home.

If you find a home and you think you may want to do that, I would call in a contractor before the purchase to ensure your vision is do able (things like no structural walls in the way etc.)
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2018, 12:19 PM

346 posts, read 162,528 times
Re: a kitchen/dining room, our 1930 farm cottage kitchen was too cramped for modern appliances, so we knocked out the wall between the dining room and the kitchen. (We had an architect draw up plans for that and other renovations and hired a contractor.) The combination kitchen/dining room gave us room for a kitchen island, which we use constantly, and allowed for more natural light. The only disadvantage is hardwood floors in the kitchen, since it would've looked awkward to abruptly switch to linoleum or tile once you get to the kitchen portion of the room. We solved part of the problem of keeping water and food off the floor by buying long, anti-fatigue kitchen mats that run alongside two cabinets.

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion. That's an option

Old 02-25-2018, 12:37 PM

14,085 posts, read 7,515,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Space isn't necessarily about stuff (which requires storage). Space is sometimes living space -- space to have 15 to 20 people over for holiday dinners, dual offices in which to work, a game room for recreation, a theater room, a home gym, large entertaining space (we like to hold charity fundraising events with lots of guests), and large catering kitchen, etc -- and that's before you get to spare bedrooms, wine cellar, cigar room, and other optional amenities. Then there is the garage/shop, but that's a whole 'nuther discussion.

If you do the math on spare bedrooms, you can put people at the Ritz and save money over the cost of capital and ownership costs of those extra square feet. If I feel compelled to entertain 30 people, I can call the tent company.

I'm working on the dual office problem now. I've always telecommuted from the office alcove off the master bedroom. I have a 5' built-in oak butcher block work surface, a Herman Miller chair, and file drawers built into half of the closet in the alcove. My girlfriend kind of wants a studio. The plan is to kick off a Garage Mahal project to steal the south-facing back of the detached garage for a studio.

Old 02-25-2018, 12:47 PM

24,105 posts, read 8,415,892 times
If someone lives BIG then downsizing has got to be tough for them. Not my problem for sure.

Old 02-25-2018, 02:43 PM

8,997 posts, read 8,156,056 times
My wife and I are both in our latter 80s. We live in a 3,700 sq. ft. 4 level (not a 4 story or a home with a basement. We have 3 stairways. Neither one of us are safe to climb stairs any more. We installed 3 chairlifts that we just walk up to, sit down, and ride between floors that did away with that problem. Installed almost 10 years ago, and are very reliable as long as there is power available.

In the past 13 years, we have had power out 3 times. 1 time a scheduled transformer change out for an hour. 1 time to change the electric meter, and that was 5 minutes. One time there was a break in the power line in our area (all underground wires here). They found and repaired the line. We watched them make the repairs which involved a big back hoe to dig down to the problem and repair it. Thing was it was through our own 5 acre property (across the county road from best housing area of the town) on the easement they have there.

If the only reason you are planning on moving if you can find the place is the stairs, the easy way to solve the problem is chairlifts (Cost us $7,500 for 3), or a home elevator for about twice that. Problem solved and you don't have to move.

Old 02-25-2018, 04:58 PM

108 posts, read 132,752 times
Quote:
I know many folks downsize when they retire and I know I will have to so I've been looking around. One problem is every thing small I see I hate.

So currently I'm in a 3700 sq foot town home. The reality is it is not a house to grow old in. 4 floors, a bunch of stairs and I've got osteoarthritis with 1 knee replacement under my belt.

I decided to start looking around and have a realtor helping me but everything I've seen seems tiny and claustrophobic inducing.

lol, I haven't even tackled getting rid of 1/2 my crap.

anyhoo, has anyone had problems adjusting to a smaller house/condo/apartment? Did you eventually come to love it?
Well...do you live alone? I would love not having stairs personally, what a pain that is! As long as you have everything you need and a reasonable amount of space to move in. it should be okay.

Old 02-25-2018, 05:00 PM

108 posts, read 132,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
My wife and I are both in our latter 80s. We live in a 3,700 sq. ft. 4 level (not a 4 story or a home with a basement. We have 3 stairways. Neither one of us are safe to climb stairs any more. We installed 3 chairlifts that we just walk up to, sit down, and ride between floors that did away with that problem. Installed almost 10 years ago, and are very reliable as long as there is power available.

In the past 13 years, we have had power out 3 times. 1 time a scheduled transformer change out for an hour. 1 time to change the electric meter, and that was 5 minutes. One time there was a break in the power line in our area (all underground wires here). They found and repaired the line. We watched them make the repairs which involved a big back hoe to dig down to the problem and repair it. Thing was it was through our own 5 acre property (across the county road from best housing area of the town) on the easement they have there.

If the only reason you are planning on moving if you can find the place is the stairs, the easy way to solve the problem is chairlifts (Cost us $7,500 for 3), or a home elevator for about twice that. Problem solved and you don't have to move.
How does that affect your power bill?

Old 02-25-2018, 06:06 PM

2,636 posts, read 1,949,293 times
I live in two 1350 - 1450 sq ft houses (one for winter, one for summer - ideal climates, both places, at their respective times of year). Property taxes very affordable. Carefully thought out purchases they both offer me exactly what I need; one even has a carefully thought out circular floor plan if you know what that means. And, both have more room than I'll ever need.

Still, I got a C- in dumping junk that I had acquired over 10 - 30 years before I retired and wound up dragging that junk around, even though I never touched it in 30 years! Dump, dump, dump! That's the first thing you do before you even get to thinking about sq footage. You're old, and you're only gonna get older. You don't need sq footage or multiple floors (unless you can afford an elevator - which I can; makes my spacious basement 100% useable to me, despite a very unexpected stroke).

Remember - you're not 35 anymore. Nobody cares how many sq feet you live in. You're wayyy beyond the status garbage. Retirement = You call the shots.

Last edited by TwinbrookNine; 02-25-2018 at 06:59 PM..

Old 02-25-2018, 06:07 PM

5,433 posts, read 3,475,777 times
I did not even know that square footage is considered a status symbol......by some or by many.

Old 02-25-2018, 06:10 PM

9,704 posts, read 15,926,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
I don't think giving up the space is a problem. Less to clean and maintain is certainly a positive.

It's going through all the stuff. Right now I'm working on combining 4 peoples stuff down into 1 persons stuff, and its not easy. I'm going through the people I love's momento's as well as my own and its just hard to let go.

I went to clean out the garage last Fall. It was the domain of my husband and his father. I stood there at the entrance for a while, looking at all the tools and stuff, then shut the door again and went back in the house.

If you can get past the trip down memory lane, and make rules, like, 'if I haven't touched it in a year I need to get rid of it', you will be fine.
If some things are hard to get rid of due to their sentimentally, yet you won't have room for them when you move, start making a memory album. Take pictures of the objects, write something about it, and put it together in a scrapbook. Then, get rid of the bulky object. I've been doing that, a slow process, but no regrets so far
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or