U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 04:22 PM

329 posts, read 203,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
One of my hardest tasks was getting rid of books. I disposed of a few but I have some in boxes that I donít have room on my shelves in my new place.

Try Half Priced Book, if you have one in your area! They paid me about $80 for my several boxes of books. Worth a try!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2018, 01:43 AM

14,547 posts, read 17,611,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassygirl18 View Post
Get rid of the clutter and you won't feel so claustrophobic! Americans have too much STUFF and then we need gigantic houses to hold all the stuff. Less stuff = less need for space = less hassle = liberation!
I have books, mostly history and crafts, books. I bought all of them since moving here. It was replaceing a lost library. Its where all the little tidbits I need to look up for stories are. Not CLUTTER

And I have lots of yarn, several big boxes full. Every couple of weeks to each month I resort it, but I like it all to be here when I have an idea, not have to wait to order some or discover I bought some I didn't need if its cut too many places and I can't unwravel if it doesn't work.

I need more dishes. I don't know where they went but its a good thing I'm the only human in residence.

And I like my hobbies to be well supplied too....

What is one mans mess of junk is treasure to someone else. So don't tell others what they should value. Clutter is only clutter if you have no use for it. Sometimes that use isn't obvious.

Old 03-02-2018, 06:41 AM

2,458 posts, read 1,690,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I have books, mostly history and crafts, books. I bought all of them since moving here. It was replaceing a lost library. Its where all the little tidbits I need to look up for stories are. Not CLUTTER

And I have lots of yarn, several big boxes full. Every couple of weeks to each month I resort it, but I like it all to be here when I have an idea, not have to wait to order some or discover I bought some I didn't need if its cut too many places and I can't unwravel if it doesn't work.

I need more dishes. I don't know where they went but its a good thing I'm the only human in residence.

And I like my hobbies to be well supplied too....

What is one mans mess of junk is treasure to someone else. So don't tell others what they should value. Clutter is only clutter if you have no use for it. Sometimes that use isn't obvious.
I agree with you.

Eating healthy, exercising more, drinking/drugging less, decluttering, volunteering, socializing etc. are all wonderful goals if someone has a desire to change. The problem starts when the reformers feel the need to proselytize to the non-believers.
The saying “there’s no sinner like a reformed sinner” always comes to mind when I read many of the threads here.

Last edited by jean_ji; 03-02-2018 at 06:59 AM..

Old 03-02-2018, 06:54 AM

6,399 posts, read 5,114,186 times
Our small town library takes used books. If they can't be put out on the shelves, they are sold to raise money so they can fund activities for the kids during the summer.

Old 03-02-2018, 07:37 AM

2,873 posts, read 6,426,183 times
To answer the OP-no we did not have trouble downsizing.

We went from 2500sf main house plus 900sf guest house on almost 3 acres to living full time in an RV and traveling the country.

Sold the house, extra vehicles, and purged, purged, purged.

Got rid of all the stuff via CL, eBay, FB yard sale, and the dump. We traded our furniture for home repairs to ready the place to sell.

The little we did not get rid of is in a 5X7 storage unit and I really wish we did not have that. Eventually we will have to come of the road so it has household items and sentimental things. I went there the other day and cringed at the thought of having to one day move all those boxes.

Like others have said, it is very liberating. Few people will say "I wish I had more stuff".

Lessons learned:
-Your kid(s) do not want your stuff. Ask once, if they say no move on. If yes then take it immediately. No "holds".
-Old does not mean valuable. Ebay is a good barometer to prices. I had an old copy of Gone with the Wind I thought would bring big bucks. Ha! Ebay has a zillion old copies from various printings in much better shape than mine selling for $5-6.
-Put time limits when dealing with CL and FB people to pick up items. The will be many no shows with folks who won't bother to communicate even after you think you have made a deal. I have learned that people who mention having to pickup/drop off their kids and then come to my house will NEVER show up.

Old 03-02-2018, 07:53 AM

212 posts, read 143,529 times
This is a great thread for the original poster, showing that what is right is very individual for each person and there is nothing wrong with being a person that needs more (or less) space.

Our house isn't full of stuff as we both constantly declutter. Seen it though as I have friends and colleagues who have filled every square inch and their garage! Some people find it hard to part with things. As spartan as we are, I still plan to go through every closet after I retire in 2 months and REALLY pare down even more. Seen too many relatives leave a house full of junk that someone else has to throw out, and everything goes into a dumpster! Don't want to be that person.

We are looking at moving to a different location after DH retires in 2+ years, but it will be about the SAME size as our current home, 2300 sq. ft. We use all the space. Could possibly lose 1 BR, so 2100 sq. ft. There will likely be no basement though, so we'll lose that, the attic where the Christmas decorations are, and the 3 car garage (where the tools are). It will take planning to deal with that loss, even if basic sq. ft. is same.

To the OP: just keep looking, and keep getting rid of stuff bit by bit.

Old 03-02-2018, 02:04 PM

3,196 posts, read 1,826,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Many of the mementos can be kept in digital form - letters, artwork, even ribbons, trophies, movie stubs. It's not quite the same but you only look at these things once in a blue moon...and maybe even only when you're forced to move(!).
Blech.

Not quite the same? If anyone is ok with taking a picture of something then discarding the original, then the original was pretty well meaningless to them anyway and they just wasted the time photographing it. Just toss it and save the middleman.

Old 03-02-2018, 03:01 PM

30,737 posts, read 33,584,642 times
I love getting rid of stuff and I'm not very sentimental so it's easy. I DO keep certain mementos that I enjoy but if I can't incorporate them into my life, as a decoration or practical piece of furniture, I make sure they are small and stored in a way that I can get to them. What's the point in mementos if they are buried away or held in storage locker?

I live in a smallish place already, single story and under 1600sq ft, so I don't have to downsize but after a divorce a few years back I literally went through everything in my house, every drawer, closet and cupboard, touched it, and decided whether or not to put it back or get rid of it somehow. It was great! Unfortunately I now have other people living with me who are hauling around their own junk so things have become a congested in certain rooms and the garage. One of these days though...one of these days!

Old 03-02-2018, 03:38 PM

3,196 posts, read 1,826,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tams here View Post
Try Half Priced Book, if you have one in your area! They paid me about $80 for my several boxes of books. Worth a try!
Worth a try if you don't need or even care about the money, or the books. You must have had some kind of amazing books in there. I spent quite a few hours in the closest Half Price Books and the best part is watching people get an offer of $10 or $20 for a dozen or more good size moving boxes completely full of decent condition books. The buyers KNOW you aren't going to haul them back home, so they can lowball to their hearts content.

Also, anything not readily saleable is going straight into the dumpster out back. No room for the 500th copy of some 10 year old James Patterson book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or