U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 10:21 PM

2,495 posts, read 2,531,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
get a dumpster for the driveway and get to work, it's hard to dwetach but kids don't want your crap. Some people have their kids stuff all over their houses.
So true.

I "downsized" in my 50s. Once the kids were gone. I'm in a 1050 sq ft house that suits me well. The kids each took two or three things that they liked and that I didn't need (art or knick knacks) and I gave a bunch of stuff that it took to raise a family to young couples and college kids.

I still cook dinners for large groups of friends and family in one of the smallest kitchens I've ever seen in a house.

How much house do I want to clean and maintain anyway?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2018, 10:45 PM

7,663 posts, read 4,705,800 times
I'm afraid we have to upsize. I don't see any way out of it. I'll still be working and will need an office plus a storage space for supplies, which have taken over our dining room here. He wants a radio room, an RV garage and a casita, too.

We're looking at 4 to 5 bedrooms, probably 4000 sq ft.

We found something very close to the wish list but were outbid.

Old 02-23-2018, 10:51 PM

202 posts, read 141,044 times
Some years ago we had a 4500 SF house that had two double garages (one of which we used only for storage) and a guest house. Our current house is just under 3000 SF. We are planning to downsize to about 2000 SF since we now see our current house as too big with too much space we don't use.

I want to downsize because I don't want to pay to maintain space we aren't using and I don't want to have to clean it.

One thing that helped a lot was some fairly ruthless decluttering. I did find the Marie Kondo books helpful. I think that if you declutter you will feel much less claustrophobic with smaller size. After I got finished with my clothes closet for example, it seemed huge because it was half empty. Same thing in the kitchen. We had lots of empty shelves. That all helped.

Where I had multiple of things I've tried to get rid of extra. Just the other day, DH and I went through a cabinet and found something like 6 or 7 spare keyboards. We got rid of all but one of them. That kind of thing. Going through stuff and only keeping things that you really need or things you really love will help a lot.

On the issue of having a large kitchen with a smaller place -- I actually see that fairly often. In a lot of smaller houses the kitchen and master bedroom/bath are large but they make the secondary bedrooms small. We were looking at 2000 SF houses recently and found many of them that had large kitchens with a pantry. That said -- if you can't find one then you might consider buying a place that you can remodel to expand the kitchen.

Old 02-24-2018, 05:59 AM

10,215 posts, read 12,253,961 times
I know someone that has had this issue. 2/2 condo, first floor 1300 sq ft, no garage and just a outside storage closet (6X3ish). She was moving from a 2800 sq ft 3/3 w/2 car garage.

She is a packrat. 2 car garage you couldn't fit a bicycle in nevermind a car. I reminded her that the house she previously lived in 1200 sq ft, raised a family of 4 with a big dog seemed fine yet why can't she live alone in a 2/2 1300 sq ft now? Too much stuff! Upon packing she found that she owned 5 coffee makers! Enough pots and pans to stock a new restaurant.

Get rid of the stuff your family will only have to throw out later and STOP BUYING MORE!

Old 02-24-2018, 09:20 AM

2,910 posts, read 1,588,036 times
I suppose I will have the opposite problem, I live in a city apt about 840 sq.ft, considered quite ample around here. If I move to a 1200 sq ft place with a yard I will feel like a king! But I'm adamant about being in a safe neighborhood & able to walk to amenities like the grocery, restaurants, cafes, etc... so that will limit my choice of smaller cities in the States most of which were built with the auto in mind.

Old 02-24-2018, 10:09 AM

2,202 posts, read 1,346,551 times
So does anyone have (or have you seen) a small house with an open feel that has a great kitchen? That is what the OP is looking for.

Old 02-24-2018, 10:24 AM

13,047 posts, read 10,439,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdr22 View Post
This is such an individual thing. We have owned huge rambling properties and managed to completely fill up every closet, every storage space, garages, barns, etc with really great stuff.
Space isn't necessarily about stuff (which requires storage). Space is sometimes living space -- space to have 15 to 20 people over for holiday dinners, dual offices in which to work, a game room for recreation, a theater room, a home gym, large entertaining space (we like to hold charity fundraising events with lots of guests), and large catering kitchen, etc -- and that's before you get to spare bedrooms, wine cellar, cigar room, and other optional amenities. Then there is the garage/shop, but that's a whole 'nuther discussion.

Old 02-24-2018, 10:32 AM

1,137 posts, read 570,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
So does anyone have (or have you seen) a small house with an open feel that has a great kitchen? That is what the OP is looking for.
define small.
define 'great'.
Would the kitchen take up 1/2 the living space? Is 2000 sq ft 'small'?
Kinda hard to answer.
edit: Only reason I asked, is because Houzz has articles all the time about such beasts...

https://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/8535...e-for-flippers

Old 02-24-2018, 10:34 AM

7,316 posts, read 4,160,046 times
Quote:
Define “small.” The house I sold two years ago was 1800 square feet upstairs, and had a large, bright kitchen and a spacious great room. No formal dining room. I think it would have worked for the OP, but a lot of people would not call it a small house.

Old 02-24-2018, 10:35 AM

11,133 posts, read 8,540,714 times
Quote:
There are many on Zillow or Trulia. I don't believe the OP was asking for referrals. Better yet, hire a realtor and let them do the legwork.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or