U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 03:21 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,205,335 times

Advertisements

what's important at 55-65 for retirement might be very different than 65 and beyond....for me it was important to have "things to do" entertainment-wise early in my retirement (NFL football, baseball games, concerts, Broadway series plays, symphony - big city stuff)......but as I get older and have done these things, I find watching a lot of this on the HDTV (sports, entertainment) is easier......

very possible to retire twice or move twice -----initially to somewhere that has a lot to offer (sports, activities) then move against midway, later in retirement to be near support (health care, groceries, banks nearby, etc)......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2018, 04:12 AM

10,511 posts, read 8,758,289 times
No matter what approach people use to pick a retirement location, it sometimes happens, after living there for a while, and hating it, and then trying to adjust over a longer period, they still hate it...and move again.

I'm not sure why this happens, but I think it is something inside them (and has little to do with experience) that makes them permanently discontent with people, places and things. The places they live change, but they don't.

In several cases I am familiar with, it had a lot to do with being discontented with their own lives and self, never recognized it, and spending their lives trying to fix other people, places and things, but not themselves.

I probably could just have said, something like "The grass always looks greener on the other side of the road."

Old 02-23-2018, 04:03 PM

11,980 posts, read 5,115,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
No matter what approach people use to pick a retirement location, it sometimes happens, after living there for a while, and hating it, and then trying to adjust over a longer period, they still hate it...and move again.

I'm not sure why this happens, but I think it is something inside them (and has little to do with experience) that makes them permanently discontent with people, places and things. The places they live change, but they don't.

In several cases I am familiar with, it had a lot to do with being discontented with their own lives and self, never recognized it, and spending their lives trying to fix other people, places and things, but not themselves.

I probably could just have said, something like "The grass always looks greener on the other side of the road."
I've wondered about this myself. After doing extensive research and visiting more than once perhaps the reason one hates their new place is more about themselves than the new place.

Old 02-23-2018, 04:26 PM

5,426 posts, read 3,446,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Texas Golfer View Post
Tamaralj,

East Texas is a beautiful place, and the cost of living is exceptionally low.

We have not yet relocated, but we have been considering doing so. One important factor for us will be proximity to a medium to large hospital. We are in good health, but know that surgery during senior years is likely for everyone.

If proximity to a quality hospital is important to you, I would suggest living close to Texarkana, Longview, Tyler, Nacogdoches, or Lufkin. Those cities have sufficient population to justify one or more medium sized hospitals.
So East Texas is a beautiful place? I did not know that. What do you find beautiful about it?

You also say: "We are in good health, but know that surgery during senior years is likely for everyone."

Surgery likely for everyone? Is this true?

Old 02-23-2018, 04:40 PM

2,564 posts, read 1,021,419 times
We have been visiting locations around the U.S. for the last 20 years, but really got serious a couple of years ago since we are getting close to retirement. There is NO substitute for visiting, multiple times at different times of the year. What kind of place appeals to you (big city, small town, mountains, beach, etc..)? Where do you find yourself going back to? For us, it boiled down to western NC and CO (more specfically, Boulder). We love CO, but western NC won out for several reasons: lower cost of living, can build the type house we want for about half the cost in CO, milder weather, greener, small town atmosphere, but has larger town conveniences, etc.. We still plan to visit CO a couple times a year for several weeks at the time - it just won't be our home base.

Old 02-23-2018, 04:59 PM

11,086 posts, read 12,467,812 times
Visit a lot, in summer and in winter. Find a local café and talk to locals, read the local newspaper.

Old 02-23-2018, 04:59 PM

13,319 posts, read 25,554,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
So East Texas is a beautiful place? I did not know that. What do you find beautiful about it?
Surgery likely for everyone? Is this true?
I would also like to know about east Texas.

Perhaps "surgery" refers to knees and hip replacements, which are fairly common, but still not "everyone." Cataracts?

Old 02-23-2018, 05:03 PM

5,695 posts, read 4,415,996 times
Revisit your critera and visit

BTW, Longview and Tyler are great retirement destinations; and very easy drives into Dallas for great medical care. Check out Canton, too.

Old 02-23-2018, 05:04 PM

30,680 posts, read 49,437,227 times
I worked in a career field that offers a 20-year pension. Anyone who re-enlists after serving 6 years is generally going to continue serving until they are pension eligible. When we decided that I was going to re-enlist, we knew then [in 1987] that I was going to be retiring in 2001. So at every duty station where we were transferred to we spent a lot of time searching around for ideal locations to retire. A couple years before my retirement, we had narrowed it down to somewhere in Maine.

The exact location was not decided until after I had retired. I came here on week-long shopping trips, filled with realtor offices and hiking all over properties that were on the market. I made five of those trips before I found this property. It has 1/4 mile of river frontage. I took a series of photos of the river frontage, and returned home to show my wife. As soon as she saw those photos, the final decision was made.

Behind our house

A bit further

The river, looking left

The river, looking straight

The river, looking right

Old 02-23-2018, 05:35 PM

1,915 posts, read 1,735,162 times
^ Did you also visit after a flooding rain? River views are nice, until they rise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or