Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2018, 09:35 PM

35,060 posts, read 31,284,584 times

Advertisements

I would look for maybe five amenities or services you most frequently use wherever you are, and cannot do without. If an area doesn't contain those things, throw it out. List weather preferences. Keep sorting until you get five to ten candidate areas and focus intently on them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2018, 08:18 AM

419 posts, read 387,642 times
One of my favorite websites is Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed which will allow you to compare your current city to a new destination. Once you submit both city names, you can click through a checklist on the left side of the page to get details. It's a great relocation tool. I think that comparing a new area to your current one gives you a good feel of what to expect.

Several years ago we kicked around the thought of moving to a different area. We visited the area of interest but didn't get the vibe we wanted to make a move. Now I would like to finally return to within an hour of where I grew up to be closer to family. Hubby's health has worsened making this an impossibility at this point. Fortunately, I'm currently in a great place that I love except for the heat. If I have to be stuck somewhere, this is a good place to be.

Last edited by Yac; 03-02-2018 at 05:44 AM..

Old 02-25-2018, 01:46 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,530,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Dated a nice lady for awhile who lived in Batesville at the time. On one visit with her, she took me to Mountain View to listen to the bluegrass concerts around the courthouse. All around the building, and the surrounding park, there were little groups of musicians here and there playing for the roving audience. It was quite an experience, not one to be missed. I think it is a weekly event during the summer, but that might have changed since I attended quite a few years ago. Don't remember it costing anything. It was one of those 'bring your folding chair or blanket' things.
Sounds nice. Both those are in a different part of AR from me, though, way too far for a day trip. Maybe I'll get over that way some day.

Old 02-25-2018, 01:56 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,450,308 times
Sperlings is a great resource.

We agree that visiting is important. Also - get the vibe of the community by reading the local newspaper - which is probably available online. We did that for 2 years before moving from LA to Utah. Also got a good idea of housing prices - and a lead on jobs (but that was while we were working).

We're choosing to go back to California - yeah, we love it - more sunshine for us...... and we have been working with realtors looking for land - and now homes in the semi-rural area we have chosen - for 5 years.

I will retire end of this year and we'll have to have either a contract in hand or will have a pretty good idea
of where we will land. I'm hoping we won't be renting - unless we are building and it's a short-term rental - because I hate flushing money down the toilet. I could be convinced to live in an RV on site as we build our retirement home.

I am pretty certain it may not be our final retirement home - because my spouse has a tendency to change his mind.... but at least we will be in the vicinity where we have wanted to be for years - back closer to family and away from snow and conservative politics.

Old 02-25-2018, 02:07 PM

35,060 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillRoaming View Post
One of my favorite websites is Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed which will allow you to compare your current city to a new destination. Once you submit both city names, you can click through a checklist on the left side of the page to get details. It's a great relocation tool. I think that comparing a new area to your current one gives you a good feel of what to expect.

Several years ago we kicked around the thought of moving to a different area. We visited the area of interest but didn't get the vibe we wanted to make a move. Now I would like to finally return to within an hour of where I grew up to be closer to family. Hubby's health has worsened making this an impossibility at this point. Fortunately, I'm currently in a great place that I love except for the heat. If I have to be stuck somewhere, this is a good place to be.
You can get a good quick breakdown there, but the information is not that in-depth from real people.

Last edited by Yac; 03-02-2018 at 05:44 AM..

Old 02-25-2018, 11:47 PM

535 posts, read 343,489 times
I think it is a good idea to visit and or rent before you buy anywhere.

Old 02-26-2018, 01:20 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamaralj View Post
For those of you who relocated for retirement, how did you narrow down your search, and then scout out the areas?
Yes, we did. We started by selecting a state, then I visited many times to narrow down to a town and a property.

Quote:
... Did you have an area in mind well before retirement?
Yes, we did.

Quote:
... Did you go for the weather, family or cost of living?
Cost-Of-Living was primary for us, followed by lack of droughts, and ruralness.

We have been here since 2005 and we love it.

Old 03-01-2018, 01:00 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,427,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suziq38 View Post
I think it is a good idea to visit and or rent before you buy anywhere.
especially Florida....you might not enjoy our weather 9 months out of the year - torturous heat and humidity.

Old 03-07-2018, 04:16 PM

536 posts, read 961,311 times
[quote=cebuan;51116395]Every place has the good and the bad, you've been accommodating to that all your life. Don't start knocking yourself out about it.

My wife and I came back from South America and had no particular place to go and just went on a leisurely road trip. We camped out on the edge of Madison, Florida (up in the real Florida, where there are no retirees). Got up in the morning and liked the air, and saw a sign saying apartments for rent, and an hour later, we signed the lease. We were perfectly happy there for two years. Later, after splending a year in Asia, we found another paradise the same way, this time in Salem, Missouri.

By the way, first thing in the morning, with dew on the ground and birdsong in the air and coffee in your mug, is the best time to fall in love with a place.[/QUOTE

I love this! How awesome!

Old 03-07-2018, 04:25 PM

536 posts, read 961,311 times
Love all this feedback. Such sage advice, and I appreciate it very much. So, our plan is to take some trips out to areas of interests and spend some time. See where we feel our vibe so to speak. My husband said the other day, he is getting excited about this next stage in life. I was pleased to hear that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement