U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2018, 04:58 PM

16,349 posts, read 10,334,620 times

Advertisements

just curious-what's wrong with KY that you want to move? For those that want 4 seasons, it sounds like a place to start looking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2018, 06:06 AM

517 posts, read 703,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
just curious-what's wrong with KY that you want to move? For those that want 4 seasons, it sounds like a place to start looking.

I never planned to stay here, but kind of got stuck. I've always dreamed of moving to TX, and I hate winter and cold weather, so trying to eliminate that from my life. ha! If I stayed in Kentucky I would move to the far west of the state.

Old 03-09-2018, 07:39 AM

1,465 posts, read 1,532,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamaralj View Post
I never planned to stay here, but kind of got stuck. I've always dreamed of moving to TX, and I hate winter and cold weather, so trying to eliminate that from my life. ha! If I stayed in Kentucky I would move to the far west of the state.
Youíre not going to eliminate the cold winter from your life by moving to Texas, depending on how cold you think cold is. It can get pretty cold in Houston at times during the winter. When you drive around Texas, youíll see a lot of ice on roads warning signs, so they do periodically get icy roads in parts of Texas during the winters.

Are you looking for a no income tax state? Itís nice not paying the state income tax on your pension, social security, dividends, stock trading, and any other form of income during you retirement years. Plus, youíll eventually be taking money out of your pretax retirement account(s), it nice to avoid paying state income taxes on all the money you eventually take out of your pretax retirement account(s).

Old 03-09-2018, 11:06 AM

112 posts, read 60,624 times
I don't see any mention of this (probably because it's so obvious) but I used Google street view and Bing maps streetside a lot. Also, looking at the satellite view can help spot a nearby sewerage treatment plant or high school for example (not that there is anything wrong with those things).

Old 03-09-2018, 03:09 PM

1,093 posts, read 1,341,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
Youíre not going to eliminate the cold winter from your life by moving to Texas, depending on how cold you think cold is. It can get pretty cold in Houston at times during the winter. When you drive around Texas, youíll see a lot of ice on roads warning signs, so they do periodically get icy roads in parts of Texas during the winters.

Are you looking for a no income tax state? Itís nice not paying the state income tax on your pension, social security, dividends, stock trading, and any other form of income during you retirement years. Plus, youíll eventually be taking money out of your pretax retirement account(s), it nice to avoid paying state income taxes on all the money you eventually take out of your pretax retirement account(s).
Texas is a big state, but if you are trying to get away from cold - - you would be fine in Houston. It may dip below freezing several times overnight, but it quickly bounces back the next day. Snows maybe once per year, and does not last. The untold story in Houston (vs the complaints about the long summer heat) is the mild winters.

Old 03-09-2018, 03:19 PM

9,573 posts, read 10,917,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwgto View Post
Texas is a big state, but if you are trying to get away from cold - - you would be fine in Houston. It may dip below freezing several times overnight, but it quickly bounces back the next day. Snows maybe once per year, and does not last. The untold story in Houston (vs the complaints about the long summer heat) is the mild winters.
Many foreign governments give their consular employees in Houston a hardship payment because of the weather.

Old 03-10-2018, 11:36 AM

8,778 posts, read 7,698,666 times
I did extensive research on the internet for about 5 years. We visited many of our final choices. We couldnt make a decision and still have not. We moved into an RV, and took to the road. We have really enjoyed the last 18 months. We have more friends, than we ever had among our fellow RVers. Im not sure when we'll settle to one place. For now, home is whereever we're parked. Our winter home is in Az in a place we just stumbled upon. Would I recommend this to others?, yes but you have to be willing to be apart from the grandchildren.

Old 03-10-2018, 11:40 AM

517 posts, read 703,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I did extensive research on the internet for about 5 years. We visited many of our final choices. We couldnt make a decision and still have not. We moved into an RV, and took to the road. We have really enjoyed the last 18 months. We have more friends, than we ever had among our fellow RVers. Im not sure when we'll settle to one place. For now, home is whereever we're parked. Our winter home is in Az in a place we just stumbled upon. Would I recommend this to others?, yes but you have to be willing to be apart from the grandchildren.

I know of several people who did this, and are enjoying life!

Old 03-10-2018, 11:46 AM

13,319 posts, read 25,554,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
...For now, home is whereever we're parked. Our winter home is in Az in a place we just stumbled upon. Would I recommend this to others?, yes but you have to be willing to be apart from the grandchildren.
I have heard anecdotally that many couples cannot agree about being away from grandchildren (even to the point of following them if they move somewhere). It's the woman in the couple who won't leave.

Grandchildren aside, does anyone hazard a guess as to what percentage of retired people, single and coupled, want to relocated in retirement? Are that many people living where they are because of the proximity to work and wish to retire elsewhere?

If I hadn't vacationed in the town where I am moving for 30 years, I wouldn't be looking for a place to move to. Of course, where I live (eastern MA) is not ideal but it was very workable when I was working. Now that I'm retired, I feel free to move to get away from the sticky summers that I can't stand.

Like I said, if I hadn't found my vacation town in Colorado, I probably would have stayed here, tried to figure out how to spend the summers somewhere up north, plus do so with my usual multiple dogs. Come to think of it, that's how I started to think of leaving completely, because I couldn't think of a way to spend summers elsewhere and still have pets.

Old 03-10-2018, 12:15 PM

140 posts, read 38,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamaralj View Post
For those of you who relocated for retirement, how did you narrow down your search, and then scout out the areas? Did you have an area in mind well before retirement? Did you go for the weather, family or cost of living? I've known people who circled an area of a state as their ideal location, and just went out and spent time touring and getting a feel for the area, then later went back to the favorite area and bought a house and love it. Never looked back. I've been researching COL of areas, and looked on realtor.com to see what kind of housing is there, and even google earth to drop down to see what the area looked like. I am planning to scout out the eastern side of TX, and will start in Nacogdoches, and then make a drive up to Tyler area to look around. I think it would be easy to become overwhelmed if you hack of a large area to scout at one time. Anyway, I just wondered how some of you did this, and the best way to go about it. I would love to hear how you found an area, and then how you scouted it and then finally decided it was "home".

Thank you!!!
1. Health - Clean Air. Clean Water. Most of Calif has horrific air quality. We are higher up in the mtns closer to the Nev border
2. Recreational Opportunities- Fishing, swimming in rivers, snow skiing, cycling hiking the Mtns & Pacific Coast Trail (starts in mexico)
3. Cola- Higher than we're used to here in Calif but desirable areas often cost more.
4. Proximity to our jobs. Work at least p/t until taking SS at age 70 & 62
4 hrs of driving per wk- round trip. Double what we were driving to work but we both got raises which covers the extra gas
I do it on the way home from work. Very few jobs here.
5. Small Town- 100 people year round, 225 people total. Very Very small county- 3500 people. Many Vacation homes
population increases the Summer Months with plenty of visitors and a little during winter months due to skiers and snow-mobilers
6. Downtown - One tiny grocery store with partial deli. Two restaurants. All are open at least 3-4 days per week during winter. 7 days during summer. 24 hr cardlock gas station, library, post office, resorts. We've lost weight not having access to certain foods like candy bars...at a whim.
8. Less allergies living in a Forest Service Area.
9. Much much more snow, less rain. Weather overlaps. Sun often occurs the same day as snow/rain
10. Proximity of 2.5 hrs within our sons home- ***a requirement***
11. Wildlife- see story below
12. House is located in a dry air area. Mold is not an issue
13. Flat, plenty of room to Grow a Garden. Water cost is reasonable.

bobcat walking on side of road with barely any energy to jump off into the snow embankment when a car drove up. Brought her food twice-, scarfed it down it was so hungry. Didn't even flinch when we drove back by, so cute seeing him/her eat!!
We are leaving today to buy more cat food. 4 feet of snow means no food for bobcat for a bit. Thankfully rain for 2 days to melt the snow then she'll catch some mice.. Very few Bobcats left here

Medical care *surprises* due to lack of planning
No paramedic on staff when emergencies arise. Just EMT's

1 hr from a hospital. Knew this but local Clinic, incl. hours, more limited in services than expected.
Moved outside of my HMO's service area yet it's the only FREE Health plan my employer offers
HMO unaware we moved or I'd be booted out. Kept my old PO Box
I do not see my HMO doctors, never have as they are 3 hrs away.
See my Dentist/Doc in the town I work 1 hr 45min away

Real Shopping is also in the town I work. Residents drive there once a week to shop

Last edited by Penny4YourThoughts; 03-10-2018 at 01:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or