U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 12:35 PM

30,680 posts, read 49,437,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
... Grandchildren aside, does anyone hazard a guess as to what percentage of retired people, single and coupled, want to relocated in retirement? Are that many people living where they are because of the proximity to work and wish to retire elsewhere?
The last place where I was stationed before I retired was overseas. We wanted to return stateside as soon as I retired. Our visas to stay there were expiring, if I had gotten a civilian job I could have gotten a new visa, but I did not want to work there.

I was a resident of California, though when I retired we had not lived in California for 15 years, and we no longer owned a home there. So I did not feel drawn to go back to California.

We had to relocate.

Now after having settled here in Maine, we see news articles repeating every year about migratory patterns within the US. US census data show a lot about how retirees move from state to state. The majority of people moving to Maine are either middle-aged or retirees. While at the same time the majority of young adults leave this state.

These two migrations happen at the same time, and they roughly equal each other in numbers of people.

It is because of these two opposite migrations that render Maine as the 'oldest' state [by the average age of state residents].
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2018, 05:38 PM

4,162 posts, read 1,892,872 times
we will be moving up from Oregon to WA.
FYI, western WA is drier than western OR. It is warmer in the winter, cooler in the summer.
Pretty much the same in most respects. We will be moving from rural to urban life.
Son lives in the Seattle area and we made frequent Amtrak's commuter trips.
We intend to do more traveling and getting to SEA-TAC airport, is a lot easier than getting to PDX.

Old 03-10-2018, 05:58 PM

3,896 posts, read 4,049,328 times
There may be a better source out there; but from what I found, more than half of people say they'd consider moving but fewer than 25% said they were "planning on it". Couldn't find total % who actually moved anywhere (including smaller house or apartment or senior / assisted living or with family within current state) but fewer than 20% had moved out of state, at least at time asked.

Old 03-10-2018, 06:33 PM

30,680 posts, read 49,437,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
FYI, western WA is drier than western OR. It is warmer in the winter, cooler in the summer.
Pretty much the same in most respects. We will be moving from rural to urban life.
We intend to do more traveling and getting to SEA-TAC airport, is a lot easier than getting to PDX.
The drive from Western Wa to Sea-Tac takes you over the Narrows bridge. That can be an exciting drive.

Old 03-11-2018, 09:16 AM

3,896 posts, read 4,049,328 times
It would if you lived in Kitsap County (including the submarine base workers) and it probably would if you lived on northern part of Olympic Peninsula (though there is another road choice) but fwiw that is about it assuming you are talking about the Tacoma Narrows bridge. 95% of the people in western WA would not traverse that bridge to get to Sea-Tac airport. Sea-Tac is well north of Tacoma while the bridge is on western edge of Tacoma.

It can be pretty (if you have time to look safely) and it can be "exciting" in fog or rush hour.

Last edited by NW Crow; 03-11-2018 at 10:03 AM..

Old 03-11-2018, 06:16 PM

208 posts, read 83,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
Never have done SEA-TAC, but how much easier can it be than PDX.

Visit Portland often, retirement scouting, and getting from airport to where we want to be is beyond easy and simple......

We go to Pearl, NW district and I believe it's called The Hollow....

Old 03-12-2018, 05:36 PM

1,512 posts, read 679,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier1976 View Post
three words.

VISIT

VISIT

VISIT
Yes indeed. Don't rely on any of those "top 25" lists that magazines like to put out... since those choices aren't tailored to you, they're mostly meaningless.

Old 03-13-2018, 06:03 AM

4,800 posts, read 4,845,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
Yes indeed. Don't rely on any of those "top 25" lists that magazines like to put out... since those choices aren't tailored to you, they're mostly meaningless.
I totally agree but those lists can be of use in determining which places to visit, visit, and visit.

Old 03-13-2018, 06:29 AM

13,319 posts, read 25,554,182 times
Once I saw a great photo of Boston in a retirement article, and I thought, I want to go there, then remembered that I live near there already!

Old 03-13-2018, 07:14 AM

1,465 posts, read 1,532,746 times
I think the retirement location lists can be limited in helping to decide where to retire. But you have to visit multiple times, at different times of the year, so you can experience the different weather conditions that occur at different times of the year.

Thereís many factors that are going to be important, but that importance is different for different people. Some people hate the snowbelt winters. Most people that live in the snowbelt areas donít like the winters, but they put up with the winters because of their job, family, and friends. But after the working years are done, it may be only family and friends holding them to the snowbelt areas. Very few people that live in the snowbelt areas actually like the cold and snowy areas, but that tiny minority of people exist. There might be other reasons to stay in the snowbelt, for better medical services, they hate the heat and humidity in the SE or hate the extreme dry heat in the desert SW.

For some people, who have a high retirement income stream, living in a state with no state income taxes, or low income taxes might be very important. If you have a lot of pretax money that eventually has to be taxed, do you really want to accept paying the state income taxes on that money that you take out of your pretax retirement accounts? A low cost of living area might be important for people who havenít saved enough money for retirement.

Many people say that the snowbirds are the happiest people, but snowbirding usually is a lot more expensive, unless you have a way to do snowbirding without renting or owning and maintaining two homes. We will be able to snowbird owning only one house in Florida.

The VRBO rentals allow you to get a better feel for living in an area than staying in a motel or hotel, even though your visits might be short in duration. It might take visits that are months long to start feeling things you donít like about different places. For example, winters in Florida are fantastic, but the summertime heat and humidity might wear you down after living there for months. We havenít experienced living through a hurricane yet, but the impact can be reduced by living in an area that doesnít have forced evacuations and is not in a flood zone.

If we get tired of the heat and humidity during the summers in Florida, we can simply drive back north or do traveling in cooler climates, or hunker down mid days in the AC. Hunkering down inside is reduced in Florida, since you can still do things outside in the mornings and evenings. The Minnesota winters, itís hunkering down inside for over 6 months straight, 24 x 7.

But our situation is pretty unique. We saved enough to retire comfortably, so we could afford to own two homes, but we only have to own one home. Several of the in laws will be following us to Florida. They plan to buy homes near us, after we are the first in our extended family to make the move to Florida.

Youíll have to decide what most important for you, when deciding where to live in your retirement years. Thereís no perfect place. Thereís up sides and down sides with everywhere. Youíll have to compromise to find the best location for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or