Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 11:54 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,829,894 times

Advertisements

70 (this week), I'm reflecting today on how I no longer feel compelled to always be 'going and doing' (... and fighting the traffic and tourist crowds). I'm quite content sitting at home with a good book or computer. (However, I do enjoy a balcony overlooking the harbor, a marina, boats, paddle-boarders, dolphins, people in the pool and a gorgeous Gulf view). Married 50-years in 2018. Health is still no issue, although we have both slowed-down a step or two and have more aches and pains than before.

60, Just preparing to retire and anxious to enjoy my new freedom by filling the days with travel, golf, fishing, ministry and just doing nothing. Excellent health, but, some concern about potential health issues and focused on "doing what we wanted to do, while still able." Moved to be nearer to kids and grandkids (starting-over with friends, activities and ministry in a new area) - Wrote a book in my late 60's.

50, still working daily and focused on 'finishing well' and making the most of weekends and evenings. Active in regular ministry and engaged with people of many diverse backgrounds. Kids raised, out-of-college, married and starting their own careers and families. Looking forward to future retirement, but, not yet overly focused on that, except to get serious about future financial retirement preparation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2017, 12:40 PM

4,314 posts, read 3,995,499 times
After age 70, despite exercise) the biggest thing I notice losing is endurance.

Old 07-04-2017, 12:48 PM

5,145 posts, read 3,756,477 times
I'm 65 and for my age in pretty decent shape. 50 and 80? Childhood to old age. I could do just about anything at 50 that I could at 35 just not as long or as fast. While I expect to get around OK at 80 that's just a lifetime away from 50.

Old 07-04-2017, 12:51 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,110,590 times
Many people never feel compelled to do anything beyond just getting by. They never write books, engage in strenuous or competitive sports or focus their energies on goals.

Personally I have never wanted to fight traffic or crowds. At over 70 I do still have lots of interests including competitive sports, photography, painting and other artistic endeavors, and travel. I take lots of courses in those subjects. I just don't like to sit and do nothing. I rarely want to spend time watching other people doing their activities. I want to do my own.

My wife is very similar and this year she enrolled in a graduate level extended course and workshop. She is writing and illustrating books.

If your physical health is good but you are losing your former interests, perhaps something else is wrong. I have seen a great number of my friends move into periods of depression. Denial is often a part of the process which is unfortunate because depression is treatable.

Old 07-04-2017, 12:53 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,190,905 times
Happy Birthday this week, jghorton!!

It sounds like you and your wife have been blessed with good health, healthy children, and an adequate income. Wonderful!!!

Noticeable changes between 50 and 80?

Biggest change, for both of us is declining health. Normal bmi's and no drugs, alcohol, or smoking, we exercise. Not everyone is blessed with good health; life is life.

Always budgeting and deciding what we can cut back, but even as we do that, we are thankful we have the knowledge to know how to budget and lower our standard of living as we need.

Loss of our parents was hard, but expected. Fortunate to have gained some new friends, and new extended-family members, and re-connect with childhood friends, thanks to the internet.

Thinking about down-sizing and possibly relocating back to where we have more relatives, and where there is a four-season climate -- but that decision will not be made for 3 years. And in the mean time, trying to develop and maintain a family of friends!

Old 07-04-2017, 12:59 PM

2,159 posts, read 1,663,848 times
70 and have been having health problems, several coming at once, and think my "looks" have changed dramatically in the last 6 monthes. I think the two are connected but, oddly, I have had a couple of similar episodes in the past, one when I was in my twenties , so I think of this as something I need to work on to correct and not as aging.

Did that make sense

Old 07-04-2017, 01:29 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,951,486 times
I find that my determination to do things often surpasses my current physical ability so I get some minor injuries, a little frustration, and some projects not yet done. What used to be easy is no longer easy.

Old 07-04-2017, 02:41 PM

7,774 posts, read 6,383,187 times
83 and anything involving walking is a chore. Wife of 57 years is 82. I have never understood how people can not find things to occupy their time. I have more books than time to read them, I watch selected TV, travel, nature and history mostly. I go to 2 clubs here at the geezer ghetto. I have slowed down in the last few years, we no longer have a camper trailer. I have come to detest flying which was routine when I was working.

Old 07-04-2017, 03:44 PM

813 posts, read 1,133,294 times
I am 64 and the biggest change was my wife went from 22 to 36, still not sure how I feel about that, but I am happy I picked up two sons (12 and 2) along the way!

Old 07-04-2017, 04:34 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
I was still dancing into my later 50's..

Still going to the gym into my mid 60's.

Then joints started to tell me SLOW DOWN girl.

72 Hip replacement and Deal with 3 nasty side effects.

I'm told that 80 really brings changes..I'm 79 soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement