U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: At what age were you the most unhappy and discontented?
Under 15 17 11.41%
15-20 20 13.42%
20-25 18 12.08%
25-30 13 8.72%
30-35 10 6.71%
35-40 11 7.38%
40-45 10 6.71%
45-50 4 2.68%
50-55 12 8.05%
55-60 12 8.05%
60-65 7 4.70%
65-70 1 0.67%
Over 70 1 0.67%
My present age 9 6.04%
I'm still under 60. 4 2.68%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 06:00 AM

23,581 posts, read 17,567,761 times

Advertisements

I think a lot of the navel gazing about childhood and early 20s stems from the fact that we typically aren't established in those years and have far less control over our lives.

At 21, I was working at Walmart. Things weren't bad then, but if they had been, I really wouldn't have had much to fall back on. As we get older, we often have more income and that gives us options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2018, 06:04 AM

5,426 posts, read 3,449,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Damn this thread is depressing. I've never reached the lows many of you have, I am thankful for that.
Why would you read a thread entitled "At what age did you feel most unhappy and discontented?" if you are so easily prone toward finding such a topic depressing?

By the title, you knew that the topic was being unhappy and discontented at certain stages or ages of life.

Old 02-26-2018, 06:12 AM

5,426 posts, read 3,449,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post

I think a lot of the navel gazing about childhood and early 20s stems from the fact that we typically aren't established in those years and have far less control over our lives.
Calling alcoholic parents and a hostile or abusive environment while growing up 'navel-gazing' is quite the trivializing and lack of sensitivity of serious problems of young people while they were growing up.

Old 02-26-2018, 07:52 AM

6,316 posts, read 5,055,910 times
I'm having issues myself right now. Things of course that I brought on myself. I have too many pets and I just can't take off when I want to take off. I'm unhappy with owning a home and wished I was renting a small place.

I tell myself that these things will change if I just relax and wait. It is just hard to relax. Cuz honestly when I look back I've been through some rough times and this is really nothing - it is just that it is happening now and all those past experiences are in the past.

Old 02-26-2018, 09:28 AM

1,454 posts, read 1,155,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
If you explain why you are asking poll questions in a certain way, or tell in advance how you intend to interpret the results, or how you want the respondents to feel about the quesstions, or phrase the choices in a way that will inspire people to answer a certain way, it will bias the answers. Then it's not a poll anymore.
Cebuan,

I generally agree. However I think you did bias the answers by:

1. Specify certain long durations for each choice.
2. Not including the choice of "Never"

Besides me, there are other posters who had indicated that they either never felt unhappy and discontented or only experience these feelings for short periods of time.

I feel very blessed for being quite resilient and optimistic. I am also very sympathetic to people who had suffered long periods of sadness and life disappointments. However, I think the way you posed the question and setup the poll did bias the answers only to mostly negative responses unless it was your intention.

Old 02-26-2018, 09:54 AM

5,783 posts, read 4,836,241 times
I voted teen years. I had a bad home situation at the time and even moved out on my 18th birthday, while still in high school. We were sort of poor, and most of the kids in my school were affluent, so I didn't really fit in. I found my niche at school eventually, but still struggled with some emotional issues. I'm so glad that I had such a will to succeed and get out from under the bad start I had in life.

My happiest times were in my early 20's while in the Air Force, and right now. I'm very happily retired and excited for our future.

Old 02-26-2018, 10:05 AM

2,498 posts, read 6,392,532 times
I am 85 and made decision to move to CT to be near daughter because we know we will need her help.
We lived in North FL for 25 years very happily.CT is a very depressing state,very unhappy,miserable.
We are tail end of family,all will pass in next couple of years,sad.

Old 02-26-2018, 10:22 AM

10,461 posts, read 5,928,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Why would you read a thread entitled "At what age did you feel most unhappy and discontented?" if you are so easily prone toward finding such a topic depressing?

By the title, you knew that the topic was being unhappy and discontented at certain stages or ages of life.

You are 100% correct. I anticipated it but reading the individual stories when the details were spelled out was sad and depressing. So I may as well join in, now that I think of it my life was not immune either.

I had a rough start, my mother committed suicide when I was 18 and a freshman in college. As I lived with her I was suddenly motherless and homeless. It remained that way for a long time. I love my dad but he's on the other side of the country, holidays were spent in an airport or on a highway, I never saw a work Christmas party and came to dread the holidays. So I guess that's my age, from 18 until I my girlfriend (now wife) and I moved in together when I was about 30. I just didn't realize it at the time how bad that was, it was the only life I knew. Looking back now that was a pretty sad time.

Old 02-26-2018, 10:28 AM

6,316 posts, read 5,055,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBev View Post
I am 85 and made decision to move to CT to be near daughter because we know we will need her help.
We lived in North FL for 25 years very happily.CT is a very depressing state,very unhappy,miserable.
We are tail end of family,all will pass in next couple of years,sad.
Can you move back?

Do you really need her help?

Can you "pretend" you are childless and plan what/how/who would assist you then?

I don't have kids and I'm o with being institutionalizeed in my old age! Lol

And I spent some time with a couple of people this weekend that take care of an elderly parent. They vented a lot.

Old 02-26-2018, 11:00 AM

9,419 posts, read 17,394,763 times
Well, I picked 50-55 because my wife died when I was 50. Age had little to do with it, especially MY age, but it was an event that shaped the whole decade for me, and not in a good way. It just needed an explanation, because if she hadn't died, those probably would have been the best years of my life. Or not. No way of ever knowing....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or