U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2018, 07:19 AM

8 posts, read 5,445 times

Advertisements

Hello, my wife and I plan to retire in about 4 years. I will be 62 in June and plan on retirement at 66.
We live in the NorthEast now (Buffalo, NY area) and can't wait to get out. The taxes here are brutal. Our home here is paid off so we plan on selling that and buying in a gated mobile home community. I've been looking at the communities where you own your lot as opposed to paying a fee to have a place on their lot. These seem to have smaller HOA fees.

We will probably go down there and buy a place 6 months before I retire and then move down there while putting our home up here for sale.

If anyone has advice on owning in one of these communities or what to look for, I would appreciate it. Also, I have found about 5 of these places where you own the land, but it's hard to search for that type of place. If you know of those, please respond.

Thanks,
Phil
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2018, 07:59 AM

653 posts, read 336,934 times
Why a Mobile home community? They at the worst places to be in a storm. Also property values depreciate not appreciate. An all around bad idea IMHO.

Old 02-26-2018, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shokwaverider View Post
Why a Mobile home community? They at the worst places to be in a storm. Also property values depreciate not appreciate. An all around bad idea IMHO.
We want to be in a gated community. We have limited funds for the future. When we sell our paid for home up here I expect about $150k to purchase down there, we don't want a mortgage. I don't want to buy a Condo, they seem like most are apartments. And I want access to a pool. We like the idea of being around other people our age also, no kids around and again, the security of being in a gated community.

Thanks for your advice. With the info I just provided, do you have other ideas?

Thanks

Old 02-26-2018, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyond2k2k2k View Post
Thanks for your advice. With the info I just provided, do you have other ideas?

Thanks
Not for a community that you desire in South Florida. I would never call that type of area safe or desirable. Unfortunately you need at least $250k - $350k to get anywhere near what you are looking for. Then there will be an additional $100 - $300 a month HOA. You get what you pay for. Again, I would NOT call a permanent Mobile home park desirable in any form. All the ones round here are terrible, and the clientele are less than desirable. JMHO. I wish you all the best with your search, but do not hold much hope for you, unless you settle for a lot less. Maybe you should select a lower cost of living state from a Real Estate perspective.

Old 02-26-2018, 09:46 AM

We have found about 4 or 5 with the specs we are looking for. A few in the Spring Hill area and a few in Central Florida. We don't want South Florida at all.

Old 02-26-2018, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyond2k2k2k View Post
We have found about 4 or 5 with the specs we are looking for. A few in the Spring Hill area and a few in Central Florida. We don't want South Florida at all.
You are still putting your hard earned money into a DEPRECIATING Asset, your choice.

Old 02-26-2018, 11:28 AM

160 posts, read 89,403 times
I have to agree that it's not the best idea to live in a mobile home after the monster hurricanes that went through Florida this past year. All it takes is one big storm and you could lose everything!

My mother lives in an over 55 community in south Florida and though she's in a condo it's very spacious. She also has a pool ...actually each section in her community has a pool and then in the main clubhouse there is a larger indoor & outdoor pool. Plus there are a lot of clubs and activities.

There are a lot of over 55 communities in Florida but I'm not familiar with the mobile home ones....I just kept thinking when my mother got stuck with Irma coming how glad I was that she was on the second floor of a concrete building which ended up having very little damage.

Old 02-26-2018, 11:46 AM

1,329 posts, read 651,120 times
Have you checked out 55 places.com. You can see all communities, and prices for homes and condo`s with taxes and HOA`s Do some research and you will find condo`s in you price range...mostly central Fla. Check out the Carolina`s to

Old 02-26-2018, 12:33 PM

674 posts, read 840,676 times
Please heed the other posterís warnings. My parents bought in a beautiful community about 25 years ago. They did not own the land, however it was over 55 and gated and pristine. They were manufactured homes.

First off, they had to evacuate each time a hurricane warning was issued, as they are not safe enough. Second, it depreciated to a point that when they sold it 5 years ago they got $5000 for it. Itís like a car, it depreciates very fast. Plus, read the fine print. You canít sell most of them on your own. They are sold through the company that owns the development and they price and advertise. Had they bought the same size home in a development they couldíve made a little profit after 20 years, which would have helped defray their assisted living costs.

Homeowners insurance is much higher for these homes.

Do your research, speak to people in the developments youíre interested in.

Old 02-26-2018, 12:49 PM

1,463 posts, read 1,819,425 times
A relative of mine lives in a manufactured home in Northport, FL, the over 55 park is called Lazy River.
They’ve lived there for Five years, and love it.

Last edited by bgrasser; 02-26-2018 at 01:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or