Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2018, 01:58 PM

708 posts, read 721,182 times

Advertisements

OP please read: For many of you that been down on mobile homes, you have not visited planned GATED manufactured home parks. We have a home in beautiful park 9 ponds, golf course, 32 different clubs, all the types of activities. It survived
the hurricane just fine very little damage. Hurricanes are part of Florida no matter where you live or what type
of home you have. Ours is a doublewide 2000 sq feet with double car garage. Not for everyone but lots for the money. Each person has to decide on their own. Just to consider everything a trashy mobile home is not correct or fair.
We could have paid more but why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2018, 02:00 PM

708 posts, read 721,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
This sit may give you some helpful information
https://www.mhvillage.com/

It has a section for a list of parks and basic information about them
Even the for sale section is helpful in giving an idea of the how well the values have held up in any particular one.
Admittedly. it's isn't all inclusive but does have a lot.
Excellent site..

Old 02-27-2018, 02:00 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,837,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shokwaverider View Post
Also, anything can happen to Florida Real Estate prices in 4 years.

A very good point. This current upward trend can't continue forever. Things always level off or drop. A few years ago (until Obama saved the nations economy) you couldn't give a home away down here. Condos were going for $30K and up. That has turned, but things may be different when you are ready to retire.

Old 02-27-2018, 02:31 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,216,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willistonite View Post
OP please read: For many of you that been down on mobile homes, you have not visited planned GATED manufactured home parks. We have a home in beautiful park 9 ponds, golf course, 32 different clubs, all the types of activities. It survived
the hurricane just fine very little damage. Hurricanes are part of Florida no matter where you live or what type
of home you have. Ours is a doublewide 2000 sq feet with double car garage. Not for everyone but lots for the money. Each person has to decide on their own. Just to consider everything a trashy mobile home is not correct or fair.
We could have paid more but why?
Seriously. Hundreds of thousands of people have been living in Florida mobile home forever, new ones everyday. So I'm sure you can get insurance unless the thing is derelict. And if it blows away, well its cheaper to get another! And if you old and retired and don't plan on moving again who cares about depreciation? Besides I've lost money on every house I've ever owned.

Here's a thread on beaches - yea Ocala is 2 hours from a beach or more.

best beaches near ocala?

Old 02-27-2018, 05:57 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,529,018 times
Rent

Old 02-27-2018, 06:06 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,523,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auto camper View Post
<>Price for a new manufactured home is less than site built, there is faster construction and there is superior quality. Each section has specialty work crews who perform only this task. Being factory production all aspects are completed in a controlled, indoor environment.
<>These homes receive far more inspections than stick built. Should a problem be discovered it is corrected during the build, not after the fact. Most companies conduct tours. Brand-name products can be substituted while same can be said for interior design.
Yes, brother. My first home was a factory built and everything else in the neighborhood was on site stick built. We had the most floor space, got complements on the layout and quality, and paid less. The developer decided to try the factory built on one of his lots and we bought it at once. Unfortunately it was the crappiest lot of all. Still great way to go for built houses. Cousin had an awesome Acorn in VT.

Old 02-27-2018, 06:27 PM

486 posts, read 653,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I have a sibling in Oak Run and agree that there are cute little houses and amenities for reasonable prices.

But where is there a decent beach within an hour?
Daytona, due east, google maps to 1.32 and with FL traffic you can bet its more
same for Hermando beach which is SW and
Cedar Key which is NE (no real beach that I know but the Gulf for boating)
Due east is just swamp coast

The worst thing about FL is the traffic is just crazy, so much traffic!

Interesting about Top of the World HOA fees - why is that and is that something to worry about when buying into
places like Oak Run?
There's a public beach in Crystal River, FL, works out to a little over an hour actually, around 47 miles, but with traffic it will take over an hour. Sorry, I was just estimating, as I live in Meadow Wood Farms and can get to the beach in an hour.

I meant to note that the homes in Oak Run are site built, not mobiles. They're serviced by SECO Electric which is the cheapest provider in Ocala. I own 2 rental houses in Pine Run, a smaller community near Oak Run, and my tenants didn't lose power at all during Irma.

Old 02-27-2018, 06:46 PM

5,772 posts, read 3,221,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shokwaverider View Post
Why a Mobile home community? They at the worst places to be in a storm. Also property values depreciate not appreciate. An all around bad idea IMHO.
I agree with shokwaverider. This isn't 2010 so a new house may cost you 300K, but there are real plusses. New homes in Florida are built using a much more stringent building code. I urge you to go with concrete block. The roofs are built with concrete tile on top of a rubber mat with plywood under that. New homes must come with mountable aluminum shielding for placement over the windows before a hurricane.

My inlaws bought the houses that you are considering. My wife and I call them fly away houses. I guess it's better than building tunnels through the lake effect snow every December.

Old 02-27-2018, 06:49 PM

5,772 posts, read 3,221,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beyond2k2k2k View Post
We have found about 4 or 5 with the specs we are looking for. A few in the Spring Hill area and a few in Central Florida. We don't want South Florida at all.
Don't go to the Villages if you are not Republican. Fox News plays in the streets in Sumter Landing. I kid you not.

Old 02-27-2018, 07:27 PM

34,930 posts, read 56,924,455 times
I would not buy one of those manufactured homes. They are not worth it. A family member has one in that same area (Central Florida) and it is falling apart. They have had it about 15 years and when bought it was supposed to be the best quality. They paid more for it than other brands. They do not know how they are going to pay for a new one and to have the old one removed.

This is their second home they had placed on their lot. The first home also fell apart. What forced them to get the second one was when the tub fell through the floor with someone in it. It was 20 years old. Sorry but as someone else said you get what you pay for. I would strongly consider working a few more years and save more money to put toward a real home. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement