Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2018, 03:25 AM

679 posts, read 811,711 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the tip, BEBs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2018, 07:06 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
for sure , that is almost a coin toss odds are so high .

people don't understand two things when it comes to life expectancy .

1- it is based not on things from birt but on the group you are part of . once you eliminate infant death , the sickly , the accident prone and those with issues that cause early deaths the group that is left tends to go on a whole lot longer .

2- with a couple either one can outlive the other so you have two horses in the race with one bet . so odds for one in a couple going on much longer is very very high .

life insurers can tell us how many people will die a year but the problem is they can't tell us who . so we only have two outcomes , we are dead or we are alive .

that is a very important consideration when looking at statistics . it is either us or it isn't , stats mean nothing since it has to happen to someone and we don't know who that someone is . .
My life experience (with a son who developed an "adult" form of cancer when he was 11 that doctors refused to recognize) taught me that stats mean nothing if conditions hit you...
Meaning if YOU are the outlier then stats were worthless...

Old 03-04-2018, 08:19 AM

17,338 posts, read 11,259,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
My life experience (with a son who developed an "adult" form of cancer when he was 11 that doctors refused to recognize) taught me that stats mean nothing if conditions hit you...
I couldn't agree more. Stats to me are virtually meaningless. Everyone is an individual.

Old 03-04-2018, 08:22 AM

7,034 posts, read 14,474,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
What does this have to do with living on $2000 or less per month? Especially since they have $1 million in savings. You mean you're mentioning them because they live on a pension, social security, and Medicare?
Because they went into retirement thinking they need to spend way more than they actually do.. especially since they no longer need to pay for any work-related expenses and can move to a lower COL area plus having all the time available to cook instead of eating out. It's not that hard living on $2000/mo if you don't need any luxuries and can pick a low COL area and resist the temptation to tap into the nest egg (because you might need it one day for emergency medical expenses.)

Old 03-04-2018, 08:52 AM

106,557 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
i always say as humans stats mean nothing . we only have 2 outcomes unlike insurers who can use statistics
insurers can tell us how many people a year will die . but since they can't tell us who stats mean nothing . it is either us or it isn't , so there are only two outcomes that mean a darn . . however statistically we have to plan like it is us that lives because the consequences of living out weigh the consequences of dying

Old 03-04-2018, 09:44 AM

1,803 posts, read 1,239,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
5 times a week for 8 - 1/2 weeks.
Good luck to you Submariner. I’ll be thinking of you.

Old 03-04-2018, 10:33 AM

107 posts, read 85,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabound1 View Post
Good luck to you Submariner. I’ll be thinking of you.
Yes I tried to rep Submariner but apparently had already done so within the near future so got the pop up.

I'll pray for you Submariner

Old 03-04-2018, 06:32 PM

37,441 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BushyEyeBrows View Post
Yes I tried to rep Submariner but apparently had already done so within the near future so got the pop up.

I'll pray for you Submariner
Yes, I think I must have said something about how much I like bushy eyebrows as a sexy feminine feature and you rep'ed me for it

Old 03-04-2018, 08:20 PM

Ha ha!

Submariner keep your sense of humor. What I learned being with 3 people doing hospice, and being there when they passed,
is they can go as easily as they came.

Meaning no pain whatsoever I saw it, it was in there eyes. Period. No one can convince me differently

God breathed the breathe into life into Adam &and Eve, he takes it just as easily as he gave it.

The best life for Christians is after death. Hell is here on earth. Seriously, this flife ricken sucks but we gain nothing by admitting it

A sense of humor heals.

nyhow... when Brooke Shields admitted she plucked her eyebrows, it lifted a burden off me. I thought i was the only one at 16 who did this!

I look forward to seeing submariner in heaven along with those I did hospice for- my fil, my husbands uncle and a close friend.

Fear NOTHING. Read the book from the bible Ephesians when you are scared. Find it on youtube. You are loved, important and may have a mission beyond this crappy life. GOD may need you in heaven, but wherever you are needed, the best is yet to come

Old 03-05-2018, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabound1 View Post
Ok, whatever.

If Mexico is so great, why do you follow up with US doctors?

Just admit you can’t afford your desired lifestyle in the US. No shame there . Most people can’t.
Except he said he can so no reason to be impolite and disbelieve him eh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement