U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2018, 06:50 PM

171 posts, read 107,631 times

Advertisements

Okay, aside from all the information about the finances, I am still stuck on the OP saying she can stop her heart at will if she wanted to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2018, 01:22 AM

5,619 posts, read 8,549,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Boy lots of interesting posts in this thread. I want to know where I can buy 15 pounds of bacon so I can slice it myself and freeze at 1.49/pound.

?
Odd lots (NOT dent can... Although I shop there too) store.

I'll admit that that was unusually cheap, but the MOST I'll pay (for GOOD quality bacon) is $2\lb. (Typically $1.67Lb for a 10Lb box.)

Old 03-08-2018, 04:26 AM

14,547 posts, read 17,540,572 times
Cut that 2k in half and you have me. He and I were 'seperated' but only because I didn't want to have to see or talk with him. But I was able to take over his SSD after his death.

I discovered a small town in middle America, and a friend in my own situation, all the 'help' they could do in a big state but still leaving too little because of the daily living cost. She got me thinking of moving, and discovering a house which cost less than a down payment there gave me the encouragement to persue things. My house is small and origional, and with my single income, affordable. Older houses, big, old trees, an economy which is not going to make anyone feel rich, but living costs within real people's limits. And I found this house, looked at it, talked to family and a few months later moved here.

That was ten years ago. I keep thinking about what I want if I'd move. I think it would be to a place much like this. But like the poster who moved to acreage and is doing fine, I've found a place big enough and also small enough. I love watching tiny house shows since its small enough that some of the space useage they use is also perfect. And best of all is the taxes are low and all that one must pay to stay the owner.

A place you can afford may not be 'perfect' and sometimes it takes a vacation to find it. I had already decided it was for me when I left for 'home' that trip. And I sometimes wish for more, but the other 90 percent of the time its just home. My 'perfect' home and space has been written out, and its far more like this place than any of the bigger, spiffy types. It would be an older home with elements of tiny house layouts and multi use of most rooms. But as I have a quarter of my house unused, my next plan is to organize it much based on that.

If people live in a really expensive place, they should not be afraid of looking out into the areas where life will be different, but cost a lot less, and if your lucky like me and the other posters here you'll find a reward of more than financial security as life changes and you find an entirely different space where you can really start over.

And 'change' is scary, but it can also set your free to make the choices which you eventually have to make, with the courage to take a less traveled road.

Old 03-08-2018, 06:20 PM

5,436 posts, read 2,760,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganGreg View Post
Zillow is your friend. We found 10 acres for $25K, and electricity cost $750 to hook up to our barndominium. We could have bought 5 acres for a lot less. Water is plentiful, but the well was the largest build cost at $6k. There are many properties out there for less than $10k. May not reside in a dream city...but there is no need to die in a car. And for me, watching deer and turkeys on the lawn is kind of a benefit. Best idea is to purchase an old tear-down mobile home on land, and replace it, using existing hookups....cheaper than building from scratch.

We will be living on a fraction above 2K per month for two years, and even at that, we can put a little bit away. We could draw down our investments a lot harder to have more, but frankly, at our current monthly burn rate, there is no need to where we are going. With no debt in the equation, it's the same take-home we saw when I was paying a mortgage, and renting an apartment 200 miles away for work in 2006...lots of stress because of commuting, and work. We are better off now.
I'm using johnlscott.com because they have the most listings in my area. Otherwise I'm using estately.com . Thing is, as I told my friend this morning, time is against me. I only have so much time to save up the money for everything. So finding land that already has a well, septic and electricity on it is pretty important. Otherwise, if I wait years to save to afford first a well, then septic, then a trailer or manufactured home, by the time I can move in, it'll be time for me to go into the old folks' home.

Here, wells could cost upwards of $10,000+ to drill, and septic about as much. In one small town where I looked at land, it was a cost of $18,000 for almost an acre plus $15,000 to hook up to all the city utilities.

One of the things that's going on here in a county I'm looking at is they are starting to put the kibosh on drilling wells. So people have been told they can drill a well, they buy the property, and all of a sudden their well permit is denied and they're stuck with an expensive field. That's one reason I'm insisting on water already on the property or a connection that can be made - I don't want to end up in that mess.

Of course, where I want to be is another reason for the high cost of everything. I picked the cities I wanted to be near because of the hobbies I have and also the weather. The perfect place for me would be the Bay Area, but alas.....so I'm picking something as similar as I can get.

Old 03-08-2018, 06:54 PM

1,137 posts, read 569,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I'm using johnlscott.com because they have the most listings in my area. Otherwise I'm using estately.com . Thing is, as I told my friend this morning, time is against me. I only have so much time to save up the money for everything. So finding land that already has a well, septic and electricity on it is pretty important. Otherwise, if I wait years to save to afford first a well, then septic, then a trailer or manufactured home, by the time I can move in, it'll be time for me to go into the old folks' home.

Here, wells could cost upwards of $10,000+ to drill, and septic about as much. In one small town where I looked at land, it was a cost of $18,000 for almost an acre plus $15,000 to hook up to all the city utilities.

One of the things that's going on here in a county I'm looking at is they are starting to put the kibosh on drilling wells. So people have been told they can drill a well, they buy the property, and all of a sudden their well permit is denied and they're stuck with an expensive field. That's one reason I'm insisting on water already on the property or a connection that can be made - I don't want to end up in that mess.

Of course, where I want to be is another reason for the high cost of everything. I picked the cities I wanted to be near because of the hobbies I have and also the weather. The perfect place for me would be the Bay Area, but alas.....so I'm picking something as similar as I can get.
Yep; it's all a tradeoff- but $15K to hook up to utilities is not bad. By the time we got the electricity trenched and run, well drilled, and septic installed, it was in the $11-12k-ish range. Pretty much a wash, so good for you!

Good points about the wells, etc. We too were concerned about well/septic permits. If either is denied after a sale was complete, we wouldn't be able to build. To prevent getting caught in that mess, during the start of purchase, we placed a contingency stating that the well/septic permits would have to be approved or else the sale would not complete. We had a exploration hole made for $300 (during a snowstorm !!!). It tested both perc and water table depths; if it is possible for the water table to raise too high during a potential flood, a septic can't be installed, so the test verified two key items. The health department reviewed the data, and signed off on the well /septic permit approvals before we completed our purchase. That removed the last obstacles in the sale.

Getting a place you love is the key- any build is a lot of work, but it is so rewarding.

Good luck! You will love every-other-day of this new adventure!!!

Old 03-08-2018, 08:40 PM

5,619 posts, read 8,549,762 times
I have a 2k gal cistern and rainwater collection system

Initially it was to buy me time to put in a well, but I found I don't need it.

Old 03-09-2018, 05:41 AM

Yes-another good solution.

Old 03-11-2018, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganGreg View Post

Good luck! You will love every-other-day of this new adventure!!!
And then again, maybe not! I spent all day yesterday traveling to sites I was interested in. I saw four (couldn't even find the 5th), got lost 3 - scratch that - 5 times, spent $30 in gas, traveled 200 miles, and was gone for 7 hours before I finally dragged my weary body to bed last night.

But I might have decided on a place, so there's that. It's 2 acres, already has water and electric on it, but needs a septic and needs to be cleared. However, the septic design has already been done - it's just expired and needs to be resubmitted. If that doesn't work, I'm going to use a big holding tank.

Old 03-12-2018, 05:45 AM

First of all, Great!!! Having water is a BIG plus, and 2 acres is nice.

Not surprising about the septic design being expired. Here, there have to be physical plans submitted for the septic and drain or leach field, and that is dependent on the number of bedrooms/baths in the house. If the house design is not finished, the septic plan can't be designed (at least here, that's the case). However, if it turns out the expired work can't be resubmitted, the perc test may have to be re-done- but doesn't cost that much $, and can be done quickly before any plans are made. That starts the clock again for another few months. Before going the holding tank route, get multiple quotes on the septic. Prices vary a lot, and if you can go that route, they require little maintenance to keep operational. We were told that they would be $10k, but our first one came in at less than half of that.

Been there done that on the looking. It can be tiring!!

Old 03-12-2018, 10:42 PM

Er, jumped the gun on this one. Turns out there's some wetlands through the middle of the property. And a no cut zone around them.

Next time I'll wait until I've actually put down some money before getting all happy.

But thank you for the support!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or