Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2018, 05:19 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,145,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Doesn't she receive survivor benefits from SS in addition to the deceased husband's SS of $1200?
I really don't think so. At age 85 I believe that getting her husband's larger SS benefit check are her survivor benefits. It isn't like she can turn back the clock 23 years and take his SS benefit and let her benefit increase in value until she turns 70. (I'm sorry, that sounds snarky and I did not mean it that way).

But, Mathjak please correct me if I am wrong. You know a lot more about this than most people.

Last edited by germaine2626; 02-27-2018 at 06:32 PM.. Reason: added "snarkiness" disclaimer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2018, 07:04 PM

5,328 posts, read 6,016,928 times
Quote:
Doesn't she receive survivor benefits from SS in addition to the deceased husband's SS of $1200?
No. Her husband is deceased, not retired. She is eligible for survivor benefits based on his earnings record or retirement benefits based on her earnings record. Her choice.

Old 02-27-2018, 07:17 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,579,235 times
I see.

https://www.nasi.org/learn/socialsec...idowed-spouses

When a retired worker dies, the surviving spouse gets an amount equal to the worker's full retirement benefit.

Example: John Smith has a $1,200-a-month retirement benefit. His wife Jane gets $600 as a 50 percent spousal benefit. Total family income from Social Security is $1,800 a month. When John dies, Jane will get $1,200 a month as her survivor benefit, two-thirds of the benefit the Smiths had received as a couple. Total income for Jane as a widow is $1,200 a month.

Example: Bill and Emily Jones each get benefits based on their individual earnings. Each of them is entitled to $1,200 a month, and total family income is $2,400 a month. When one of them dies, the widowed spouse continues to receive $1,200 a month. The widowed spouse cannot get both benefits. Therefore total monthly family income is reduced to $1,200 at widowhood, or 50 percent of their former income as a couple.

Example: Joe Sanchez receives $1,200 a month and his wife Consuela earned enough on her own to get an $800 monthly check. Total family income is $2,000 a month. When Joe dies, Consuela will receive her retirement check plus $400 a month as a widow. Her total benefit will be as much as Joe had been receiving, $1,200 a month, or 60 percent of their former income as a couple.

Old 02-27-2018, 10:47 PM

914 posts, read 642,700 times
but the couple must have been married at least ten years. if you were married 9 years and 11 months, a SS survivor benefit does not apply. At least, that's the way I understand it. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 02-28-2018, 02:28 AM

106,649 posts, read 108,790,719 times
Quote:
Doesn't she get survivor benefits from SS, and also an increase from SS due to her husband's death if his check was larger?
no . survivor benefits are based on her husbands check . all other benefits stop .

Old 02-28-2018, 02:30 AM

106,649 posts, read 108,790,719 times
Quote:
I see.

https://www.nasi.org/learn/socialsec...idowed-spouses

When a retired worker dies, the surviving spouse gets an amount equal to the worker's full retirement benefit.

Example: John Smith has a $1,200-a-month retirement benefit. His wife Jane gets $600 as a 50 percent spousal benefit. Total family income from Social Security is $1,800 a month. When John dies, Jane will get $1,200 a month as her survivor benefit, two-thirds of the benefit the Smiths had received as a couple. Total income for Jane as a widow is $1,200 a month.

Example: Bill and Emily Jones each get benefits based on their individual earnings. Each of them is entitled to $1,200 a month, and total family income is $2,400 a month. When one of them dies, the widowed spouse continues to receive $1,200 a month. The widowed spouse cannot get both benefits. Therefore total monthly family income is reduced to $1,200 at widowhood, or 50 percent of their former income as a couple.

Example: Joe Sanchez receives $1,200 a month and his wife Consuela earned enough on her own to get an $800 monthly check. Total family income is $2,000 a month. When Joe dies, Consuela will receive her retirement check plus $400 a month as a widow. Her total benefit will be as much as Joe had been receiving, $1,200 a month, or 60 percent of their former income as a couple.
the survivor benefit is slashed if the widow takes it before her own fra .

survivor benefits are not as simple as being just what the other spouse got because they are based on ages when taken . they are based on when the husband filed initially or even at all yet as well as when the wife filed for survivor and her age .

Filed prior to full retirement age: maximum widow benefit equals the larger of the deceased reduced benefit or 82.5% of deceased primary insurance amount

Filed after full retirement age: maximum widow benefit equals the deceased benefit including delayed retirement credits
------------------------------------------------------------
if the deceased did not file for benefits and died .

Died prior to full retirement age: maximum widow benefit equals the primary insurance amount of the deceased

Died after full retirement age: maximum widow benefit equals the deceased benefit as if deceased elected on date of death, including delayed retirement credits

Here are three main complicating factors for widows:

Two different full retirement ages (FRA): retirement FRA and their widow FRA. For most people getting ready to elect Social Security, their retirement FRA is 66. Their widow FRA is determined by subtracting two years from their date of birth and using that as their birth year. There is no advantage to delaying widow(er) benefits past the widow’s FRA as there are no delayed retirement credits based on the widow’s claim age.

Two different full retirement ages (FRA): retirement FRA and their widow FRA. For most people getting ready to elect Social Security, their retirement FRA is 66. Their widow FRA is determined by subtracting two years from their date of birth and using that as their birth year. There is no advantage to delaying widow(er) benefits past the widow’s FRA as there are no delayed retirement credits based on the widow’s claim age.

Widow limit: the widow limit caps the widow(er) benefit at the larger of the benefit the deceased would have received if he or she were still alive, or 82.5% of the deceased primary insurance amount. The widow limit only comes into play if the deceased claimed benefits prior to his or her full retirement age.
Here’s an example that takes these complications into account. Let’s say Linda is your client. Her husband Paul passed away when she was 60 and he had a primary insurance amount of $2,000. The widow benefit that Linda could receive is based both on when Paul claimed and when Linda decides to claim that benefit. Here are a variety of scenarios to illustrate how Linda’s widow benefit will be affected.

Last edited by mathjak107; 02-28-2018 at 02:39 AM..

Old 02-28-2018, 04:22 AM

23,218 posts, read 29,034,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
The bad news is that inflation has not and probably will not go away which is a stab in the back for seniors.
The effect of the lowering of the fertility rate around the world hasn't shown up on many a person's radar screen yet, the 1-2 child families in every part of the world. It's my biggest worry for the future, of being retired, much expected inflation.

The luxury of having an abundance of immigrants to do things so cheaply, those days are coming to an end, and??????

Old 02-28-2018, 06:50 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,208,266 times
Not a problem. There are plenty of nice, liveable cities in the flyover states where you can easily find a comfortable, safe, well managed 2-br apartment for under $1,000 a month. Choose a location where you can walk to a supermarket, and use public transport for other essentials, and you won't need a car.

Learn to cook, every recipe is demonstrated on Youtube. Two people, if they rarely order or eat out and bypass convenience foods, can eat well on on $300 a month, and with care, can cut that to $200.

I'm assuming, on the retirement forum, that you have medicar and don't need transport of presentable clothing for a job. So buy clothes and appliances and furniture at thrift shops.

So that ought to leave you with 1000 for rent, 200 for utilities, 300 for food, and you have 500 to spare on a car or vacation or whatever.

Old 02-28-2018, 07:16 AM

535 posts, read 343,489 times
I would not be able to live on less that $2K a month unless I was renting a room in someone else's home.

Old 02-28-2018, 07:49 AM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
My son's in-laws rent a 2bdrm house for $450/month in a town near us. They are pretty much near the center of town, so everything is within walking distance for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement