U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-28-2018, 11:47 PM
 
Location: Northern California
107 posts, read 57,111 times
Reputation: 222

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Huh??



Where on earth are you getting this from?
If you had quoted the whole thing, you'd have your answer. It was explained in detail
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-28-2018, 11:49 PM
 
Location: Northern California
107 posts, read 57,111 times
Reputation: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
All this talk of subsidized housing. It's funny no one is calling it Section 8.
It isn't section 8 but subsidized housing.
Section 8 allows you to rent other places outside of apartment complexes as long as landlords agree and have complied with their guildelines
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2018, 12:03 AM
 
Location: Silicon Valley
18,094 posts, read 22,952,534 times
Reputation: 35230
Quote:
Originally Posted by BushyEyeBrows View Post
It isn't section 8 but subsidized housing.
Section 8 allows you to rent other places outside of apartment complexes as long as landlords agree and have complied with their guildelines
Yep. Section 8 is one kind of subsidized housing. There are many forms of subsidized housing.

I live in an apartment complex that has different types of subsidies. This is common in Low Income Housing Tax Credit (LIHTC) properties, at least in CA (which is what I live in). LIHTC properties must accept Section 8, if the tenant otherwise qualifies, but they don't have to only take Section 8 tenants.

They usually get funding from city/county/state and federal sources. There can be a certain number of apartments set up for a certain income level recipient, or different funding types.

The USDA actually manages some subsidized properties in rural areas. They have some nice properties with low rents for seniors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2018, 02:58 AM
 
Location: Mount Airy, Maryland
10,460 posts, read 5,926,819 times
Reputation: 16156
Boy lots of interesting posts in this thread. I want to know where I can buy 15 pounds of bacon so I can slice it myself and freeze at 1.49/pound.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Well, it hasn't yet. I've loved the beach my whole life. Never thought I'd get to live on it! I know what you mean about change of seasons, but we can hop a bus and be up in the Andes for a cool change. Or the jungle, or the Galapagos.


Lots of people in the U.S. have to fly to see relatives, so it's not much different. Doing that tomorrow, in fact. Amazon stuff is piling up at my sister's, LOL. I'm sure the overseas retirement is different in a no-children scenario. Parents are gone too.
Good for you, sounds like you have found your happy place. While I've always grown up going to the beach and continue to do so I would not say I'm such a lover I could make this move.

I get it that lots of people fly to see family. I spent my youth doing that, now we are close enough to see most everyone with an easy drive. How are Americans accepted there? Did you learn to speak Spanish?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2018, 04:48 AM
 
11,127 posts, read 8,537,739 times
Reputation: 28094
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Yep. Section 8 is one kind of subsidized housing. There are many forms of subsidized housing.

I live in an apartment complex that has different types of subsidies. This is common in Low Income Housing Tax Credit (LIHTC) properties, at least in CA (which is what I live in). LIHTC properties must accept Section 8, if the tenant otherwise qualifies, but they don't have to only take Section 8 tenants.

They usually get funding from city/county/state and federal sources. There can be a certain number of apartments set up for a certain income level recipient, or different funding types.

The USDA actually manages some subsidized properties in rural areas. They have some nice properties with low rents for seniors.
Yeah, just noting the social dissonance. In one thread, we have people encouraging subsidized housing/Section 8. In another thread, we have people explaining how they worked hard all their lives so they don't have to live around people in subsidized housing/Section 8. Such beliefs in one online community of retirees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2018, 07:15 AM
 
Location: Northern California
107 posts, read 57,111 times
Reputation: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Yep. Section 8 is one kind of subsidized housing. There are many forms of subsidized housing.

I live in an apartment complex that has different types of subsidies. This is common in Low Income Housing Tax Credit (LIHTC) properties, at least in CA (which is what I live in). LIHTC properties must accept Section 8, if the tenant otherwise qualifies, but they don't have to only take Section 8 tenants.

They usually get funding from city/county/state and federal sources. There can be a certain number of apartments set up for a certain income level recipient, or different funding types.

The USDA actually manages some subsidized properties in rural areas. They have some nice properties with low rents for seniors.
good info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2018, 09:06 AM
 
Location: equator
3,435 posts, read 1,531,248 times
Reputation: 8518
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Boy lots of interesting posts in this thread. I want to know where I can buy 15 pounds of bacon so I can slice it myself and freeze at 1.49/pound.





Good for you, sounds like you have found your happy place. While I've always grown up going to the beach and continue to do so I would not say I'm such a lover I could make this move.

I get it that lots of people fly to see family. I spent my youth doing that, now we are close enough to see most everyone with an easy drive. How are Americans accepted there? Did you learn to speak Spanish?

We seem to be accepted OK. They realize we bring a lot of $$ to the economy. I have never felt any resentment. We tend to stay in our expat community so don't associate with locals much. I regret that, but it's not much different than in the U.S. where you stay in your "comfort level". Trying to learn Spanish, but truthfully, it's extremely difficult at this age, and many quit trying. Plus, the dialect on the coast is such that they don't seem to understand what little Spanish we can spit out. LOL. We get along. For something like a hospital, we enlist help. Shopping can be done without a word of Spanish, LOL. I wish I was smarter!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2018, 09:23 AM
 
25,982 posts, read 32,990,963 times
Reputation: 32169
Quote:
Originally Posted by BushyEyeBrows View Post
If you had quoted the whole thing, you'd have your answer. It was explained in detail
No, it wasnít. That is why I commented.

Stopping your heart at will is easy, put a gun to your head and pull the trigger. Restarting it? Not so simple.
Now slowing your heat rate way way down? Totally different thing and many folks are quite capable of this.



Biking doesnít kill anyone, unless perhaps they have medical issues and canít handle the strain. But thatís a different issue. If you are referring to cyclists killed in vehicular collisions, then say so. But you should not assume that all cyclists ride in traffic. I and my BF are fairly serious bikers ( he much more than I) but neither of us ever rides where there are cars. I fully expect to live LONGER because of the time I spent on a bike, not less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2018, 10:13 AM
 
Location: Northern California
107 posts, read 57,111 times
Reputation: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
No, it wasn’t. That is why I commented.

Stopping your heart at will is easy, put a gun to your head and pull the trigger. Restarting it? Not so simple.
Now slowing your heat rate way way down? Totally different thing and many folks are quite capable of this.



Biking doesn’t kill anyone, unless perhaps they have medical issues and can’t handle the strain. But that’s a different issue. If you are referring to cyclists killed in vehicular collisions, then say so. But you should not assume that all cyclists ride in traffic. I and my BF are fairly serious bikers ( he much more than I) but neither of us ever rides where there are cars. I fully expect to live LONGER because of the time I spent on a bike, not less.
I am a Mtn Biker.
I moved TO Mtn Bike just 4 months ago
Moved from the #1 area of mtn biking in California to the second most popular Mtn Biking area.
I do not ride in traffic. Thus I don't assume such regarding cyclists... not that it matters whether they do or don't
Strawman which is totally unrelated to my post.

Please don't assume that... I assume something...then to boot...be rude regarding your own error
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2018, 10:44 AM
 
25,982 posts, read 32,990,963 times
Reputation: 32169
Quote:
Originally Posted by BushyEyeBrows View Post
I am a Mtn Biker.
I moved TO Mtn Bike just 4 months ago
Moved from the #1 area of mtn biking in California to the second most popular Mtn Biking area.
I do not ride in traffic. Thus I don't assume such regarding cyclists... not that it matters whether they do or don't
Strawman which is totally unrelated to my post.

Please don't assume that... I assume something...then to boot...be rude regarding your own error
I made the assumption because you refused to explain your odd statement. I was not being rude at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top