U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2018, 07:24 AM

1,362 posts, read 764,777 times

Advertisements

US News has outdone all the rest of the Pretenders to the Title and published their 2018 Best States List. The link to the List of States is cleverly concealed within the article. I'll save you the trouble of reading thru their dreck by posting the link to the actual List here.....

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/rankings

Using factors like Health Care, Education, Economy and Opportunity -- they sum the numerical rankings to arrive at their conclusion. In my opinion, any list that ranks my former state of New Jersey in the Top 20, is rubbish. And South Carolina at 42 consigns this list to the trash bin.

Oh, and their last category is the nebulous Quality of Life. Here they rank North Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin and South Dakota at the Top of Category.

They must love Winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2018, 07:37 AM

5,767 posts, read 4,825,615 times
This is how the "quality of life" was determined:

"Policymakers have implemented a number of regulations over the past half-century to ensure a safe relationship between people and their environment. Under the Clean Air Act, the Environmental Protection Agency regulates air pollution. Similarly, the Clean Water Act and Safe Drinking Water Act ensure that states properly dispose of pollutants at treatment plants and that public drinking water meets federal standards.
These laws not only help preserve the nation's natural resources, but they protect the public from harmful toxins and resulting health concerns that affect their quality of life.
In addition to a healthy environment, a person's quality of life is largely a result of their interactions with those around them. Studies show that when people feel socially supported, they experience greater happiness, as well as physical and mental health.
North Dakota and Minnesota are the most effective at promoting their citizens' well-being by providing both a healthy environment and a sense of social connectedness. Other top states include Wisconsin, New Hampshire, South Dakota and Mississippi."

Pardon me while I ROFL! So clean air, drinking water, and feeling "socially supported", whatever that is, is all I need for a great quality of life? LOL

Old 02-27-2018, 07:41 AM

I once worked with a guy from Mississippi, he grew up near the River. He used to say "Big Muddy -- Too thick to drink, too thin to plow."

Old 02-27-2018, 07:49 AM

3,395 posts, read 3,352,482 times
First of all, lumping an entire state together is ridiculous.

Bakersfield, CA has nothing in common with San Francisco, CA.

And East St. Louis, IL is completely different than Rockford, IL.

Also, not everyone cares about education. If you don't have kids, or yours are grown, this is completely useless. In fact, the better education states probably have higher taxes as a result!

Old 02-27-2018, 07:50 AM

23,541 posts, read 17,525,434 times
I'll bite on this one.

Notice anything about most of the top ten states? Most are relatively small (excepting Colorado, Washington, and Massachusetts). Most have never had crushing poverty problems (most of the bottom states have large shares of poor blacks (Deep South), Native Americans (Oklahoma/NM), Hispanics (New Mexico), or Appalachians (West Virginia, Kentucky). Sure, there is some poverty everywhere, but rural VT poverty is not quite the same as McDowell County, WV or Harlan, KY. Most are relatively homogeneous. Most are purple-to-blue leaning, Nebraska and Utah are exceptions, but even they are of a different "political makeup" than rural Appalachia or the Deep South.

This is the same kind of thing that makes places like Norway and Denmark desirable. If I had kids, I'd much rather raise them in West Des Moines around the "right types of people" than in Hawkins or Cocke Counties in Tennessee, surrounded by drugs, crime, and a lack of opportunity. It's the peer group and being surrounded by similar, professionally minded, quality people that counts.

I don't know why you'd put Iowa #1 on infrastructure. The roads are rough. I know it's a function of climate, but they're just worse than here in Tennessee.

I wouldn't be happy in North Dakota. The climate are scenery are generally awful. It's isolated as hell. There's no major city for many, many hours around in many parts of ND.

Keep in mind this wasn't a retirement specific list.

Old 02-27-2018, 07:54 AM

3,395 posts, read 3,352,482 times
And on the top of my list are

- a major airport nearby
- a top notch hospital nearby
- lightning fast wifi

Good luck with any of those in some of those top ten states.

Old 02-27-2018, 08:01 AM

1,472 posts, read 1,992,564 times
Ok I have been to and lived in several states. Colorado was nice but where I was there was no Job market. I liked Mississippi just needed more Gulf. Liked North Carolina. I was raised in Missouri and know where everything is so I'm more comfortable here, it is always Home.

brushrunner

Old 02-27-2018, 08:10 AM

23,541 posts, read 17,525,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
First of all, lumping an entire state together is ridiculous.

Bakersfield, CA has nothing in common with San Francisco, CA.

And East St. Louis, IL is completely different than Rockford, IL.

Also, not everyone cares about education. If you don't have kids, or yours are grown, this is completely useless. In fact, the better education states probably have higher taxes as a result!
Schools matter.

It's not necessarily about whether you have kids or not getting an education in that community. Bad or declining schools indicate other problems in the community. White collar, upwardly mobile, college educated, upper middle class people (read: the type of people you may want to be surrounded by) are not going to locate in communities on the decline with failing schools. This is your productive class that pays the taxes and keeps the wheels of society greased and rolling. If the schools suck, these people and their tax dollars, along with jobs and other services catering to these people, will go elsewhere.

The parents of kids in areas with failing schools are unlikely to have good jobs. The parents may not be able to help the kid academically, or advise on a career path. The peer group is likely cut from the same cloth. It's much easier to get into trouble as a kid if you're not in a community with strong parenting and an ethical peer group.

Bad schools are often also going to correlate with higher crime, poverty, and about any negative metric you can think of.

Old 02-27-2018, 08:31 AM

7,977 posts, read 11,653,739 times
No need to get snarky. The people in MN, SD etc. are nice and social support is important. People generally have a favorable view of MN and SD. If it werent' for the weather the place would have been ruined by now. Who wants to live somewhere beautiful but they hate everythign else about it? Why are so many people leaving California? It isn't just the expense. (Although that's the primary reason why I haven't move there

Old 02-27-2018, 08:41 AM

I hope that snarky comment wasn't directed towards me.

I look at those lists for their comedic content. Minnesota, North Dakota and even South Dakota derive their names from the Indian word "Ota" meaning "the longest, coldest winter you've ever seen"

These "Best Lists" would be better if they were focused at the County Level, rather than the State-side level. But that would take too much work on the Author's part, and probably not worth the click-bait.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or