U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 05:15 AM

1,137 posts, read 572,365 times

Advertisements

This may be my last post for this thread. Well, there is kinda good news all around. Doctors think they finally know what the cause is, and he is going into surgery today. The good news is it's laparoscopic, so he should be back on his feet quicker than a normal excisional type.
Sounds like he has finally decided that his travels in Europe are coming to an end, and may want to finally settle down and get a place back here in the US. But since we are shortly moving into deep snow county, it won't be near us; he HATES cold, we love it. He wants Florida, and though it may take some time to find the right fit, we found places online he could handle. I agree that he may have some savings; don't know for sure, but even if he stays with us up until we sell our main house in April, it will allow him to save enough for first and last on an apartment there. Looks like my planning is just set back a little, and we can continue to move forward.

Thanks for the feedback- he just needs some help to get back on his feet, and I am glad we can be here for him. He is a friend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2018, 06:16 AM

12,079 posts, read 5,170,591 times
Crap happens to almost everyone that is not planned. You may be a month before retiring and have a stroke. Your car can take a major dump and now you have a car payment you weren't planning on. A 500 year flood ruins your home. The list is endless.

Old 02-28-2018, 06:41 AM

1,706 posts, read 1,232,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganGreg View Post
Funny how situations demand solutions. I just discovered the 'Google Translator' app for our phones, and loaded it into both phones. I have programmed phrases for the most needed communications into a phrase book, and it looks like it works pretty well. Enough for her to communicate her needs once she gets to the hospital, and good enough for me to call the hospital for status once she is in-route.
I suspect you will find that except for the most rural areas of Germany, most Germans can speak at least basic English.

Old 02-28-2018, 09:17 AM

17,079 posts, read 17,418,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twelvepaw View Post
I suspect you will find that except for the most rural areas of Germany, most Germans can speak at least basic English.
Heck, even when I visited Germany 40 years ago, English was a required subject in school and only the oldest generation did not speak/understand English.

Old 02-28-2018, 10:42 AM

7,755 posts, read 4,771,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganGreg View Post
This may be my last post for this thread. Well, there is kinda good news all around. Doctors think they finally know what the cause is, and he is going into surgery today. The good news is it's laparoscopic, so he should be back on his feet quicker than a normal excisional type.
Sounds like he has finally decided that his travels in Europe are coming to an end, and may want to finally settle down and get a place back here in the US. But since we are shortly moving into deep snow county, it won't be near us; he HATES cold, we love it. He wants Florida, and though it may take some time to find the right fit, we found places online he could handle. I agree that he may have some savings; don't know for sure, but even if he stays with us up until we sell our main house in April, it will allow him to save enough for first and last on an apartment there. Looks like my planning is just set back a little, and we can continue to move forward.

Thanks for the feedback- he just needs some help to get back on his feet, and I am glad we can be here for him. He is a friend.
Well, I think it's great that you're helping out a friend.

But an 80 year old traveling in Europe alone, estranged from family, making moment-by-moment decisions and apparently never allowing for the possibility of getting sick... It's not dissimilar from those parents who live their lives heedlessly without a care in the world or more important, a plan, then expect their children to become their full-time caregivers when they can no longer do as they please.

Sheesh, I'm 64 and I got sick twice traveling alone last fall. But I was prepared with insurance, ample cash and no expectation that anyone would bail me out.

In any event, I wish you and your friend well. And I hope you can get a refund on those plane tickets.

Old 02-28-2018, 04:03 PM

448 posts, read 283,915 times
Greg, you and your wife are good and kind people! You’ve gotten the “take care of yourself first” speech (which does need to be said) from plenty of others, so let me just say that jumping in immediately to help like this is a wonderful act of compassion.

Old 02-28-2018, 04:37 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,308,990 times
Quote:
an 80 year old traveling in Europe alone, estranged from family, making moment-by-moment decisions and apparently never allowing for the possibility of getting sick...
Yeah. What's up with that.

It's not for me to say whether the what the OP's friend did was irresponsible.

And I'm not saying the following is what happened in the OP's case.......but people who do what the OP's friend did, could be the type to take advantage of others who DO plan responsibly. Sometimes people will do things that are irresponsible -- KNOWING they have someone who cares about them enough to come to their aid or rescue.

Old 02-28-2018, 05:54 PM

2,229 posts, read 1,362,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Well, I think it's great that you're helping out a friend.

But an 80 year old traveling in Europe alone, estranged from family, making moment-by-moment decisions and apparently never allowing for the possibility of getting sick... It's not dissimilar from those parents who live their lives heedlessly without a care in the world or more important, a plan, then expect their children to become their full-time caregivers when they can no longer do as they please.

Sheesh, I'm 64 and I got sick twice traveling alone last fall. But I was prepared with insurance, ample cash and no expectation that anyone would bail me out.

In any event, I wish you and your friend well. And I hope you can get a refund on those plane tickets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Yeah. What's up with that.

It's not for me to say whether the what the OP's friend did was irresponsible.

And I'm not saying the following is what happened in the OP's case.......but people who do what the OP's friend did, could be the type to take advantage of others who DO plan responsibly. Sometimes people will do things that are irresponsible -- KNOWING they have someone who cares about them enough to come to their aid or rescue.
Could be a totally different scenario. His family seems "too busy" to care. Maybe he just decided he didn't have much time left and wanted to spend his remaining days traveling for as long as he could. And if something happened, it happened.

Unfortunately he got sick in a strange place and panicked. Interesting that he called his ex-wife instead of a son, sibling or cousin. Maybe that says something about the lack of relationship with his family.

Old 02-28-2018, 06:24 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,308,990 times
Quote:
Interesting that he called his ex-wife instead of a son, sibling or cousin. Maybe that says something about the lack of relationship with his family.
And also what's telling, don't forget, is that when the OP's wife CALLED THE FAMILY she was basically told, "Uh, we're busy and have our own thing going on so we can't help."

As far as we know, they didn't say, "Oh thank you so much for letting us know. If he can somehow get back home though we might be able to help. Give us his info we can call and talk to him, but we just can't go to Germany to get him."

It sounds more like the family said, "oh, well." To me that says OP's may have no family to even CARE -- let alone help.

Old 02-28-2018, 08:54 PM

3 posts, read 677 times
Take care of him and God will take care of you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or