U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 11:01 AM

1,627 posts, read 746,845 times

Advertisements

I just can't wrap myself around the idea of "going crazy with boredom." I was never bored in my working years (we could talk about "crazy") so I can't imagine I would be bored now that I've limped my way into retirement. (I came to it not on a schedule I would have planned.) I have no end of activities I'd like to take a stab at, but I'm a little preoccupied right now trying to plan an out-of-state move and some of it will have to wait.

My days do not drag even if I get to the end of the day and can't point to much that I "accomplished." In fact, I'd be surprised if you didn't find that time accelerates. Generally, a lot of anxiety that I had when raising my son and working has been tamped down with retirement. I don't have tons of money, I have some aches and pains, but my days are my own and I don't have to please anyone else else. That's worth a lot.

One final note: Don't tell yourself you have no artistic or musical talent. You don't have to shoot for the Guggenheim or Carnegie Hall. The question is: Would I enjoy trying something like that? Do it for yourself, not for anyone else's judgment. It sounds as if money and health is no impediment to you at this time start trying some new things and see what sticks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2018, 11:02 AM

1,345 posts, read 469,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
I know there are many types, such as "artistic explorer", "hobbyist", "hands-on grandparent", "still working", and many more, and I am curious about how you now identify yourself other than as just 'retired'.

I am now 64 and fast approaching my final stage of life (barring, I hope, a stay in an ALF!), and it occurs to me that I am not sure how well I am handling -- or will handle -- my retirement as far as my attitude, lifestyle, etc. I have had no real role models, and I am basically clueless as to how I should approach being in my 70's and 80's, assuming that I am in good health and have enough money.

When I was younger, I was too busy just living and trying to survive -- working, paying my bills, etc. -- that I just never stopped to really think about retirement except as some vague notion as far as living in a pretty spot with my husband with occasional dinners out or sightseeing trips. When I was a kid, I just thought I would end up as a kindly grandmother who provided cookies, babysitting and holiday dinners -- but that has not proven to be in my future. As my husband and I are both non-churchgoing introverts, I am envisioning basically living life as bored shut-ins, as we have no hobbies unless one considers cooking and reading "hobbies". Neither of us have ever been either the hobby or sports/physically-oriented type, as our jobs have been our focus for most of our lives.

So I guess I am asking is how did you find YOUR "retirement identify" and I am looking for advice as to how to find mind and not go crazy with boredom in the coming years!

Thanks!
You may be introverts, but find something you have always thought about doing, and then do it. There must be something you have always desired to do, but the 9-5 grind didn't allow.

I plan to retire at 60 (got 3.5 years to go), but I plan to do certain things that have always interested me.

I have traveled and lived all over the world since the 80's , so now my wife and I want to travel to the places in the U.S. we have never been. I want to build her a motor trike, and we can do this domestic touring in the wind. She is keen on that.

There is a community college with very reasonable tuition in the small city we are going to buy a house in, and there are courses which highly interest me. A gunsmith degree? Count me in!

I was into ultralight aircraft sports briefly in 2002-2006 while living in Africa, I want to build/fly one of my own now.

Get involved with a dog shelter in some capacity. (My heart breaks when I see unhealthy stray dogs.)

etc.....

Old 03-01-2018, 01:49 PM

8,947 posts, read 7,729,944 times
Me..chaser of young women....

Old 03-01-2018, 02:01 PM

14,220 posts, read 44,887,015 times
I'm not retired yet, but, I intend to be just like Clint Eastwood's character in "Grand Torino":

"GET OFF MY GRASS!" with my Garand.

Old 03-01-2018, 02:07 PM

1,696 posts, read 2,602,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
for me,

still working (18 months, 29 days and a few hours but who's counting)
Major dog lover
Hot mess, boo I just had to euthanize my 16 year old dog a few weeks ago
serious shopper. lol
Francophile. love Paris
Disneyphile. love Disneyworld.
Almost empty nester! Yoohoo!!
Off topic, but SO SORRY about your canine. I "feel ya." Was just sobbing over one of mine today. XXXOOO
Never gets any easier, does it?

Old 03-01-2018, 02:35 PM

6,224 posts, read 4,721,373 times
Quote:

However, to answer your question, most of my interests are not active, but passive (history and politics, mostly). I have a brown thumb, so gardening's out, and I also have NO artistic or musical talent, unfortunately. So now in addition to reading, writing on CD, and cooking and baking, that's it.....
Some of us look at retirement as an opportunity to do new and different things, to learn, to experiment, to set new goals, to make new accomplishments, to pursue our passions.

Artistic or musical "talent" are not skills that jump out of the air. I was a scientist and technician. When I retired I decided I wanted to develop my artistic skills beginning with photography. I have spend thousands of hours taking courses, studying and experimenting. I have become a very skilled photographer and am able to make images that express my artistic vision. In the past couple of years I have branched out into pastel painting. In addition to photography and travel photography and painting, I have become interested in art history and usually take a few courses a year and try to spend time visiting museums and galleries. I participate in target archery and am fascinated with the mental aspects of sports performance and with the field of sports psychology.

You need to think about what interests you and decide what if anything you want to learn and to accomplish. I say, if anything, because this forum includes a bunch of old biddies who attack me every time I suggest looking at new opportunities in retirement. Clearly some people do not have any such desires or passions. They are satisfied with a less structured, less directed lifestyle. If you are asking, I assume you are interested in something more. That needs to come from within you and has nothing to do with how others lead their lives.

Old 03-01-2018, 02:56 PM

6,390 posts, read 3,351,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveLoveLaugh View Post
I bought a farm and live in the Blue Ridge Mountains. I have a group of friends and we call ourselves 'farm chicks'
Lol, how funny---we did the same thing for retirement -- bought a farm in the Blue Ridge Mountains!
The most wonderful and healthy life adventure we could have ever imagined......
Do your chickens all have names?

Old 03-01-2018, 03:03 PM

6,390 posts, read 3,351,236 times
OP -- you said you like reading and cooking, perhaps you could join a book club -- even one that specializes in history which you like. You could also join a cooking club -- they come in all kinds of styles now. Your local Meetup groups should have lots.
It sounds like all your time, energy, and focus went into your job. Perhaps you will just need to chill out, unwind, and relax for months and then you will have the energy to cultivate new interests and positive attitudes in retiring.

Don't obsess about an "identity" -- we just are who we are playing different roles at different times -- the essential you is still you.

Old 03-01-2018, 04:25 PM

6,615 posts, read 3,742,110 times
Quote:
I know there are many types, such as "artistic explorer", "hobbyist", "hands-on grandparent", "still working", and many more, and I am curious about how you now identify yourself other than as just 'retired'.

I am now 64 and fast approaching my final stage of life (barring, I hope, a stay in an ALF!), and it occurs to me that I am not sure how well I am handling -- or will handle -- my retirement as far as my attitude, lifestyle, etc. I have had no real role models, and I am basically clueless as to how I should approach being in my 70's and 80's, assuming that I am in good health and have enough money.

When I was younger, I was too busy just living and trying to survive -- working, paying my bills, etc. -- that I just never stopped to really think about retirement except as some vague notion as far as living in a pretty spot with my husband with occasional dinners out or sightseeing trips. When I was a kid, I just thought I would end up as a kindly grandmother who provided cookies, babysitting and holiday dinners -- but that has not proven to be in my future. As my husband and I are both non-churchgoing introverts, I am envisioning basically living life as bored shut-ins, as we have no hobbies unless one considers cooking and reading "hobbies". Neither of us have ever been either the hobby or sports/physically-oriented type, as our jobs have been our focus for most of our lives.

So I guess I am asking is how did you find YOUR "retirement identify" and I am looking for advice as to how to find mind and not go crazy with boredom in the coming years!

Thanks!
I don't have one. I'm on hold, waiting to sell the house and move. It has been this way for a couple of years.

I don't think in terms of labels, anyway. After I get settled, I hope to garden a little, decorate my house a lot, cuddle with my dogs, watch good tv, go to the movies, exercise, eat healthy, have a few friends, join 1 or 2 groups. That's it. I don't see an identity there.

Old 03-01-2018, 10:36 PM

2,630 posts, read 1,933,869 times
Even though I've never spoke Spanish in my entire life, since retirement, manana has become a common utterance whenever there's a chore to be done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or