Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 05:53 PM

19,434 posts, read 8,984,844 times

Advertisements

I know there are many types, such as "artistic explorer", "hobbyist", "hands-on grandparent", "still working", and many more, and I am curious about how you now identify yourself other than as just 'retired'.

I am now 64 and fast approaching my final stage of life (barring, I hope, a stay in an ALF!), and it occurs to me that I am not sure how well I am handling -- or will handle -- my retirement as far as my attitude, lifestyle, etc. I have had no real role models, and I am basically clueless as to how I should approach being in my 70's and 80's, assuming that I am in good health and have enough money.

When I was younger, I was too busy just living and trying to survive -- working, paying my bills, etc. -- that I just never stopped to really think about retirement except as some vague notion as far as living in a pretty spot with my husband with occasional dinners out or sightseeing trips. When I was a kid, I just thought I would end up as a kindly grandmother who provided cookies, babysitting and holiday dinners -- but that has not proven to be in my future. As my husband and I are both non-churchgoing introverts, I am envisioning basically living life as bored shut-ins, as we have no hobbies unless one considers cooking and reading "hobbies". Neither of us have ever been either the hobby or sports/physically-oriented type, as our jobs have been our focus for most of our lives.

So I guess I am asking is how did you find YOUR "retirement identify" and I am looking for advice as to how to find mind and not go crazy with boredom in the coming years!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2018, 06:03 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,530,384 times
Do you have any interests?

One of the best things you can do is cultivate a lot of interests.

Old 02-28-2018, 06:08 PM

34,091 posts, read 82,455,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
...curious about how you now identify yourself other than as just 'retired'.
old phart at the dog park
Attached Thumbnails
What is your retired person "identity"?-muddydog.jpg  

Old 02-28-2018, 06:27 PM

18,607 posts, read 33,176,623 times
Dog person/conversationalist (nothing new- I never identified with "being" an RN. I worked as an RN. It was not an identity.)

Soon I will be "the new person in the house with the bright blue roof."

Old 02-28-2018, 06:41 PM

14,277 posts, read 6,867,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Dog person/conversationalist (nothing new- I never identified with "being" an RN. I worked as an RN. It was not an identity.)

Soon I will be "the new person in the house with the bright blue roof."
I agree. I never was my job. And after retirement, I am me. I have always been me. I am still me.

As to what you do with yourself after retirement... just start looking around you. Read the activities section in your local paper, see what any nearby colleges have to offer (search for OSHER), read this forum to see what other people do, go to meetups.com to see what is happening in your area. Keep looking until something sparks your interest (even if it's just a little bit of interest) and then go TRY IT. If it doesn't suit you, let it go and keep looking.

Added: It won't (shouldn't) be just one thing to define you. Over time, the idea is to develop different interests and activities. Be a multi-faceted person.

Old 02-28-2018, 07:01 PM

6,931 posts, read 217,404 times
“Blissfully Idle (and enjoying watching my kids become successful adults)”. I’ve been retired for a year now, and like some others here, I don’t really identify as my past-life’s occupation (IT-Adminstrator).

I’m still early in my retirement, and haven’t really settled into any set activities. My wife is semi-retired and has a couple GFs she meets with regularly for shopping, lunch etc.
our little town is very walkable, so that’s an option. No grandkids, but I’m sure that’s in the cards. So far, I’ve been comfortable at this pace, though I’m sure it will pick up.

Old 02-28-2018, 07:05 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,943,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
I am envisioning basically living life as bored shut-ins, as we have no hobbies unless one considers cooking and reading "hobbies". Neither of us have ever been either the hobby or sports/physically-oriented type, as our jobs have been our focus for most of our lives.
Now is the time in your life that you explore interests and find activities that make you happy...experiment, go different places, do things you haven't done before, things you've never thought of doing before, get in the car and just drive...or do nothing, as retirement is also a time to rest if you want. Get up in the morning and do whatever you feel like doing.

Think of it as the last day of school, now you're free to run off and do whatever you like. That's my retirement identity, I feel like a teenager fresh out of school, on summer vacation every day.

Old 02-28-2018, 07:10 PM

34,812 posts, read 30,867,528 times
For me, being a Serious Conversationalist

Old 02-28-2018, 07:19 PM

49,970 posts, read 63,287,500 times
I enjoy doing what I darn please. Sometimes I do something, and sometimes I do nothing.
I enjoy always having something to plan, like a trip, or a garden or decorating project.

Hubby works part time, but lately he’s been kicking around the idea of going full time. He’s really at loose ends without a project to work on.

Someday, maybe we’ll do a fixer upper house.

Old 02-28-2018, 07:19 PM

12,046 posts, read 10,172,542 times
Air Force!

And dog person. Even though I got into this totally by accident. I am done with that part. No more inmates coming in - lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement