U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 08:05 PM

13,321 posts, read 25,569,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Memory worse in the evening is a classic symptom of dementia. They call it "Sundowning Syndrome." It's very common in the elderly.
https://www.webmd.com/alzheimers/gui...e-sundowning#1
In the inpatient world where I worked for so many years, sundowning was a dramatic worsening of symptoms during the night (and often all night). It was not the memory or the evening, it was a blatant loss of functioning, including psychosis, aggression, confusion, fear, mobility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2018, 09:06 PM

2,737 posts, read 3,271,057 times
I'm gonna chime in for no other reason than to reminisce the days in which smoking Great Weed was a dearly romanticized/heartfelt part the youthful lives many of us lived.

Most people who grew up in the 70's were exposed to and were part of the prevalent weed related culture of that era. "Head Shops" were the source of select weed related paraphernalia such as roach clips, bongs, Big Bambu rolling papers, etc. (And oh yes, we definitely used them all.)

Back then, Great Weed was copiously available to anyone with a few dollars in their pocket. One US Dollar would buy you one loose joint in the weed of your variation and predilection.

"Dude/Bra/Brother/Papi, did you want that in Colombian Gold, Panama Red, Hawaiian Pakalolo, or Rainbow Mesh?" "I'll take an ounce of Rainbow. Sure man! Here you go. Enjoy!" Thank you Friend! And off we'd happily go with our beloved stash which we shared with close friends and/or anyone who happened to show up when that aromatic smoke got think enough. By that time, the smoke had done its due diligence and we were all Friends. All prior heartfelt divisions and disagreements were forgotten and forgiven. Great Weed brought us together and made us all "ONE."

Old 03-06-2018, 09:46 PM

28,243 posts, read 39,908,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
In the inpatient world where I worked for so many years, sundowning was a dramatic worsening of symptoms during the night (and often all night). It was not the memory or the evening, it was a blatant loss of functioning, including psychosis, aggression, confusion, fear, mobility.
Memory wasn't affected?

Old 03-06-2018, 11:23 PM

112 posts, read 60,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
I'm a 64 year old guy and I've been a regular user of pot for about 7 years (since I retired). I particularly like my home made brownies, which are apparently stronger then hell! I eat 1.5 brownies a night, which helps me sleep. Things are changing though!

I am also a recovering alcoholic, so that plays into it a bit. I believe that, through long term drinking, about 45 years, I damaged my liver and I am paying a price, which may seem weird unless you have liver damage. One of the main affects of my liver damage is almost constant itching. I have a friend with liver damage and he mentioned that itching is a real thing. It's so bad at times that it affects my sleep, and the brownies don't seem to be working as well.

I don't use edibles, but I've cut back on smoking to once a week. I can't keep things like alcohol or brownies (regular) in my house due to lack of self control. For some reason, I don't get the same kind of cravings to use marijuana.

Old 03-07-2018, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Memory wasn't affected?
Short-term memory had been long gone. Dementia is so much more loss than memory. I certainly didn't notice any deterioration in memory at any time of the day or night because it was so long compromised. If you haven't seen dementia's progression, it's hard to imagine what functions fail and how they fail. All that "When Mom forgets" kind of language is really sugarcoating the utter deterioration of the person.

It's hard to assess someone's memory when they can't speak coherently or in sentences.

Old 03-07-2018, 12:19 PM

28,243 posts, read 39,908,153 times
Thank you. I saw the the tail end of dementia in my father-in-law. They lived 4 hours away and we couldn't do much to help during the long fall. What I did see was heartbreaking.

Old 03-07-2018, 12:33 PM

3,977 posts, read 1,116,597 times
Thanks to everyone for contributing. It's very cool to read all the different stories. It's comforting to know that there are others experiencing the same thing.

Old 03-07-2018, 01:42 PM

12,268 posts, read 12,511,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Severity of symptoms varies with the individual. Sundowning starts long before they reach inpatient status.

Old 03-07-2018, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Severity of symptoms varies with the individual. Sundowning starts long before they reach inpatient status.
True. But I think I was responding to the poster who said their memory issues were worse in the evening and people did say that was a sign of dementia. In my world, even if that happened, it wouldn't be "sundowning." Maybe a case of semantics.

Old 03-07-2018, 03:36 PM

4,443 posts, read 2,616,298 times
Now, where am I?

What was I saying?

And just WHO are you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or