U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 08:07 PM

8,046 posts, read 5,890,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
<>I almost forgot!! My short term memory right now is horrible.<>
Memory is the second thing to go. I forget what's first . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2018, 08:08 PM

11,125 posts, read 8,534,553 times
Quote:
Why do you think this a joke? This is a real thing that I am experiencing.
A recovering alcoholic taking drugs. You think that's going to work out?

Old 02-28-2018, 08:10 PM

23,691 posts, read 8,243,442 times
OP: There are MANY ways to help sleep, I worked on that one long and hard and have my remedy posted in Alt Med here. The mind is something we want to keep as long as we can no matter what goes, my thinking. My remedy "stuff" gives me a nice dreamy 9+ hrs of sleep and no memory loss or more fat from brownie munching.

As for the liver, there are many liver supports and if that is an issue and one can find that in labs, then get to work there too. You are young and cherish what is left.

Old 02-28-2018, 08:50 PM

3,967 posts, read 1,112,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
For itching, look at any other meds you're taking, and look at your diet. And yeah, pot makes you high and forgetful LOL.

And brownies make you fat.
Yes brownies can make you fat! However....when I was deep in my drinking last year, I went from about 250 lbs to 175 lbs and my fitness went from full court B-Ball to, I can barely walk! I'm still recovering from that and brownie consumption has had no impact. Interesting about short term memory, mine has definitely degraded over time. If I stopped eating brownies, would it return? I don't know, dang it, I forgot the question!

Old 02-28-2018, 08:56 PM

3,967 posts, read 1,112,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Memory is the second thing to go. I forget what's first . . .
It's what's on first, who's on second....damn memory!

Old 02-28-2018, 09:02 PM

18,088 posts, read 22,943,598 times
Although the brownies may be fattening, too. Are you making them with real sugar? How's your blood sugar level?

Heck, maybe you're allergic to chocolate.

Old 02-28-2018, 10:24 PM

2,905 posts, read 1,585,473 times
I definitely went through a few phases here & there interspersed with years of abstinence, can count on my fingers the number of times I've been offered & partaken it in the last 30 years. Mostly made me sleepy, passive & hungry, brownies would be a lethal application.

I definitely have memory issues but I can remember having similar issues in grade school & university & being conscious of it then so I can't really point the finger at mj, but I'm sure it doesn't help & studies seem to bear that out.

Old 02-28-2018, 10:54 PM

2,905 posts, read 1,585,473 times
(continued...)

Yesterday an old acquaintance posted a photo on Facebook taken in 1981, it was to be the last time the "old gang" got together as a group, I haven't seen that acquaintance since that night, 2 people are parts unknown, one I still send a christmas card to & 3 are dead. I remember hanging out in the saloon, running outside in the cold for the pic & a general feeling of holiday good times but nothing else or specific.

The guy who posted the pic on FB noted that previous we had tried to call this one & that one & someone else was around who didn't come outside & other specific details. I just can't, & never had, a memory that could recall details like that. I've always marveled at people that have that kind of recall.

Last edited by Hefe; 02-28-2018 at 11:11 PM..

Old 02-28-2018, 11:03 PM

9,571 posts, read 10,917,875 times
Quote:
I'm a 64 year old guy and I've been a regular user of pot for about 7 years (since I retired). I particularly like my home made brownies, which are apparently stronger then hell! I eat 1.5 brownies a night, which helps me sleep. Things are changing though!

I am also a recovering alcoholic, so that plays into it a bit. I believe that, through long term drinking, about 45 years, I damaged my liver and I am paying a price, which may seem weird unless you have liver damage. One of the main affects of my liver damage is almost constant itching. I have a friend with liver damage and he mentioned that itching is a real thing. It's so bad at times that it affects my sleep, and the brownies don't seem to be working as well.

I almost forgot!! My short term memory right now is horrible. By the time I finish posting this I will probably have forgotten that I wrote it! Ha!

I'm hoping that someone on CD can relate, but if not, thanks for reading point the finger at mj, but I'm sure it doesn't help & studies seem to bear that out.
You need to have a serious and truthful conversation with your physician. Something isn't right and you need a diagnosis. Make an appointment immediately; throw out the marijuana. if you can.

Old 03-01-2018, 12:56 AM

16,417 posts, read 5,352,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
A recovering alcoholic taking drugs. You think that's going to work out?
Actually, this might be a good idea for the OP. When you have an addiction, you feel you need the substance in order to feel OK. If you give it up, there is going to be a big hole in your life with nothing to fill it, and it's tempting to backslide.

Cannabis when used in moderation is not addictive and has many health benefits. It is 1000x better to get high than to drink yourself senseless. Using cannabis might also help ease the discomfort of withdrawal. But of course the liver failure is a complicating factor, and OP should be getting medical treatment for that.

The good news is that the liver is an organ that has amazing regenerative powers. If the OP is sincere about wanting to kick the bottle and get better, and if the OP lives in a state where cannabis is legal, there is no reason why he shouldn't use MJ. Even if only medical MJ is permitted, the OP would probably qualify for a medical card.

If legal MJ is not an option, I recommend CBD (cannabidiol), which is made from the cannabis plant but is not psychoactive because it contain no detectable THC. CBD is anti-inflammatory and neuroprotective and also has a calming effect, which might be a good benefit for someone who's trying to beat an addiction. It is also said to be wonderful for pain and muscle spasms. But do avoid cheap hemp oils sold on the internet and seek out those made to pharmaceutical standards using the whole plant.

Oh, one other thing. The jury is still out on whether smoking cannabis causes lung cancer or other respiratory problems, so I would also recommend vaping or using edibles or tinctures rather than smoking it. As for the short term memory loss, using MJ might make that worse, but the effect is only temporary.

Last edited by Bayarea4; 03-01-2018 at 01:09 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or