U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 03:32 PM

3,962 posts, read 1,108,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by homelessinseattle View Post
Curious why you don't smoke it?
Eating pot has never worked out well for me.
Actually, I do both, but the effect from a brownie lasts much longer then smoking. Interesting how we all respond so differently. My wife is HIGHLY allergic to pot. She has very pronounced muscle contractions that can last for hours. I know because I still have the bruises from letting her squeeze me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2018, 04:03 PM

8,046 posts, read 5,886,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
<>when I was deep in my drinking last year, I went from about 250 lbs to 175 lbs and my fitness went from full court B-Ball to, I can barely walk!<>
Yeah; if it wasn't for all the olives I would have starved.

Old 03-01-2018, 04:44 PM

4,431 posts, read 2,606,853 times
OP, you CAN change your addictions, and eliminate them, ALL OF THEM.

YOU are on what they, in alcohol and drug centers call being "on the marijuana maintenance program". In other words, you are still addicted.

I'm here to tell you you can kick a bad habit in the pants, but you NEED TO MAKE UP YOUR MIND TO DO IT.

In my 20s, I was definitely an alcoholic. I drank at least 2 of the ginormous bottles of vodka a day, that's right over a gallon of vodka a day!. I was a "functional alcoholic", meaning I held down two jobs, even carried 12 credit hours at college too, for two semesters, while drinking my life away.

I found it to be a cure-all. I found it eliminated my deep depressions ( finally in my 30s got a corrected diagnosis of bipolar disorder). I found it "helped me sleep", it gave me courage to face the day, "energy", etc.

I also smoked cigarettes too. Said I'd quit when they reached a $1 A pack. Ha! When they went over a dollar, a company came out with "Bucks " cigarettes. Smoked thise fir a long time.

Around age 35, a friend got me to try pot. I didn't care for it. It did NOT: give me the "munchies", it did not maje me sleep better, it made me paranoid, nervous and jittery instead of calm and relaxed. It did nothing for me. I smoked it for a year and vomited at tasting anything made with it to eat.

GAVE UP: drinking vodka and all alcohol, pot and quit smoking cigarettes too. ALL OF IT.

BUT:I had to make up my mind i wanted to/had to quit.

Get thee to a rehab center!!!!!! Repeat if you relapse!!!!

You CAN DO IT!

you will fibd you get over everything.

Your "liver itchies" is probably because you are STILL ASSAULTING your liver with pot. A little, a lot, doesn't matter. Worse if you take actual prescription meds, tgey, too, must be metabolized by the liver.

I'm NOT playing "high and MIGHTY ", I'm trying to SAVE YOUR LIFE
BUT, YOU'VE GOT TO WANT IT.

Best of luck to you now and in your future for a "drug free life".

Hoping the best for you.

Old 03-01-2018, 05:21 PM

11,081 posts, read 12,461,714 times
A nice hot cup of Ovaltine would be better for you.

Old 03-01-2018, 06:49 PM

16,414 posts, read 5,349,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Your "liver itchies" is probably because you are STILL ASSAULTING your liver with pot. A little, a lot, doesn't matter. Worse if you take actual prescription meds, tgey, too, must be metabolized by the liver.
I'm sorry, but "liver itchies" is not a known side effect of cannabis use. Cannabis is not toxic like alcohol. Anyway, I wouldn't take too seriously a post from someone who only used it for a year and hated it. I first tried it in 1968 (and like galaxyhi, was not impressed at first). Now, as a medical MJ patient, I use it daily and it has never caused any itching of any kind. I think the real culprit here is alcohol.

Old 03-01-2018, 06:59 PM

15,201 posts, read 8,509,345 times
Get some bloodwork done to test your liver enzymes to get an idea of how much damage has been done - actually, you could probably use a complete physical at this point.

Old 03-01-2018, 07:16 PM

12,777 posts, read 4,837,023 times
Get yourself off to a full scale neurological workup. If you are in the beginning phases of some form of dementia you want to know it...try to minimize it and its onset...and make life provision if you cannot limit it.
The most likely drivers do not involve marijuana but find out.

I know that I am slipping on association. I know something but cannot name it. A particular street for instance. My mind knows where it is and how to get to it but refuses to link its name. Nothing new for me...I tried to introduce my new wife to college friends at a formal dance 55 years ago and could not pull up her name. But it is worse now then it was then.

My cardiologist and I share a common insomnia problem. Between us we have tried very everything including all the folk recipes that don't sound dangerous. Over the next months I am going to try pot as a sleep aid. Certainly edible as smoking is not something i am willing to do with almost 80 year old lungs. But we will go at it with varying combinations and doses and see if anything works.

Old 03-01-2018, 07:18 PM

3,962 posts, read 1,108,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
I'm sorry, but "liver itchies" is not a known side effect of cannabis use. Cannabis is not toxic like alcohol. Anyway, I wouldn't take too seriously a post from someone who only used it for a year and hated it. I first tried it in 1968 (and like galaxyhi, was not impressed at first). Now, as a medical MJ patient, I use it daily and it has never caused any itching of any kind. I think the real culprit here is alcohol.
Something got out of wack on this thread. My itchy liver is with out a doubt related to heavy alcohol use, not marijuana use.

Old 03-01-2018, 10:06 PM

12,223 posts, read 12,487,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
I think you're correct, an addictive personality will take whatever boost is available to satisfy that crave.

While we're on elective drugs... until the morality police forcibly pulled it from legitimate research LSD was showing promise in treating alcoholism & also with terminally ill patients dealing with their imminent mortality. Pity several generations of research have been lost to ignorance.
There's a lot there that needs research. They recently started doing research into ecstasy (MDMA) and PTSD. Apparently PTSD sufferers can get a lot of relief in at least some cases. The morality cops have made a mess out of some very useful drugs, including pot, just by insisting that there is no medical use. There is no medical use because they have blocked all medical research. Circular reasoning at its best.

Old 03-01-2018, 10:09 PM

12,223 posts, read 12,487,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
OP -- the liver is VERY regenerative. How badly damaged is yours? A friend of ours did some work in the Amazon and got some kind of parasite that destroyed much of his liver. They even had to take out part of his liver it was so damaged -- he recovered just fine. But he was supported by a holistic MD who knew how to revive livers with healthy foods, herbs, supplements etc. your liver is extremely vital, so
research around your area for a good doctor in liver regeneration -- maybe an MD that's also a naturopath or holistic type doc -- that type of doctor can also help you find a healthier way to use marijuana to ease off alcohol.

Marijuana definitely affects your short term memory. I smoked pot casually/socially in college, but was under so much stress in grad school that I started smoking every day, and it ruined my memory to the point my grades started to suffer, so I went cold turkey and stopped. But it took weeks for my memory to recover. It was common knowledge back in the 70s that too much pot affected your memory.
Kudos for recovering from alcoholism.
The memory effects may be age dependent. Check the Scientific American article I posted on the first page of this thread. In the elderly, it can benefit the memory. In developing brains, it can be destructive. They should probably limit legal sales to people over 25 at the least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or