Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 07:10 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,907,143 times

Advertisements

Let me start by saying I'm 67. Not really retired but retirement age. The grandfather of one of my students, only a few years older than me (6-7 years, I think), was just put in a retirement center by his family. He had serious memory loss/confusion. For example, he initially brought his grandson to me to study, bought a violin from me, and then shortly afterwards stated he wants to buy the violin (after he already had paid for it). My mother had this, too, real loss of short term memory.

I'm finding if I forget something, people may assume I'm ditzy, too. For example, on YouTube, on my tablet at least, it you don't click on this little triangle on the bottom right under the video, the date doesn't drop down. I didn't realize that and posted an inquiry about an old video on Hillary Clinton, thinking she was going to run again. A friend gently corrected me on Facebook; it was an old video, she's not running again.

Well, there was a rumor she was running again (she isn't), but posting that old video made me look ditzy. I hadn't noticed the date.

So, if you're retirement age, do you worry about people thinking you're losing it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2018, 08:52 AM

8,757 posts, read 5,053,126 times
At our age we all think we are losing it at one time of another. In conversation with others, we all agree, we have the same worry. I n this day and age with everything we have to remember with passwords and numbers, our brains are on overload. Think about our parents, we have so much more to remember then they did....plus so much stress in the world today

Old 03-01-2018, 11:32 AM

3,262 posts, read 5,001,073 times
People don't think I'm ditzy; in fact, people think I'm very organized, rational, and logical. I hide my ditziness very well.

Old 03-01-2018, 11:40 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times
I'm not ditzy and that word never entered my mind. My friends appreciate my common sense advice/opinions especially on our health issues.

Old 03-01-2018, 12:11 PM

2,159 posts, read 1,664,245 times
I used the word "complement" in place of "compliment" in a message this morning. I noticed that I used new/knew wrong another time..... and those are the times I noticed. That bothers me.

I don't think I am as bad as the man who wanted to buy the violin, but I am no longer my old self.

I find that I only bother to learn new technology to the level I am interested in using it. I cook everything in my new microwave for so many "baked potatoes"

Some things bother me. Some things don't. I'm sure some people would find me ditzy but I don't think I'm on a slippery slope to losing my mind. Some of it is just laziness. Some is being "out of touch". Some of it is lack of blood supply to the brain

Now days, when I post here, I am always afraid I am off topic (forgotten the question)

Old 03-01-2018, 01:01 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,907,143 times
It seems like my whole life I've had to deal with sexism, people thinking I'm "less than" or some housewife, when I'm actually a pretty formidable competitor. And now I have to deal with ageism. It just pisses me off.

Old 03-01-2018, 02:13 PM

1,793 posts, read 3,350,353 times
YES! Because I am! And happy as a clam to be so!

Old 03-01-2018, 02:27 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,954,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcomputer View Post
I used the word "complement" in place of "compliment" in a message this morning. I noticed that I used new/knew wrong another time..... and those are the times I noticed. That bothers me.

I don't think I am as bad as the man who wanted to buy the violin, but I am no longer my old self.

I find myself making grammatical errors also, especially here on C-D. I think it is because I am reading posts from so many people who use the wrong grammar. Until I got interested in forums, all my reading was from books... which had been cleaned up by professional editors before publication. Now I am reading posts from people who possibly didn't have such great English teachers in school or who didn't pay attention in class.

The man with the violin story is something very different.

Old 03-01-2018, 02:32 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,954,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
Let me start by saying I'm 67. Not really retired but retirement age. The grandfather of one of my students, only a few years older than me (6-7 years, I think), was just put in a retirement center by his family. He had serious memory loss/confusion. For example, he initially brought his grandson to me to study, bought a violin from me, and then shortly afterwards stated he wants to buy the violin (after he already had paid for it). My mother had this, too, real loss of short term memory.

I'm finding if I forget something, people may assume I'm ditzy, too. For example, on YouTube, on my tablet at least, it you don't click on this little triangle on the bottom right under the video, the date doesn't drop down. I didn't realize that and posted an inquiry about an old video on Hillary Clinton, thinking she was going to run again. A friend gently corrected me on Facebook; it was an old video, she's not running again.

Well, there was a rumor she was running again (she isn't), but posting that old video made me look ditzy. I hadn't noticed the date.

So, if you're retirement age, do you worry about people thinking you're losing it?
The user-friendliness of technology is awful. Half the time I don't even see icons. When I do notice them, I can't figure out what they are supposed to represent most of the time. And the one you are talking about is just dumb in my opinion. They have to make an icon that you have to click just to see the date. Why not just show the date?

Old 03-01-2018, 02:40 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,111,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
...... I'm actually a pretty formidable competitor......
What sports or activities do you compete in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement