Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 02:52 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,905,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
What sports or activities do you compete in?
Yoga and swimming, but I didn't mean that. I meant in business and as a musician.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2018, 03:21 PM

1,734 posts, read 1,202,497 times
Nope.

Unless I'm such a ditz that I can't pick up on it.

Old 03-01-2018, 03:28 PM

1,532 posts, read 1,060,635 times
I have been trying to be seen as eccentric for a long time now, so I hope that will disguise any elderly ditziness.

Old 03-01-2018, 03:49 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
variants: or ditsy
ditz·i·er or dits·i·er; dits·i·est
: eccentrically silly, giddy, or inane : dizzy
dit·zi·nessor ditsiness \-nəs\ noun

Just to be clear, this is what we are talking about right? I would say I definitely have my ditzy moments. I know many others who do as well but either don’t realize it or won’t admit they have them.

Old 03-01-2018, 04:48 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,110,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
Yoga and swimming, but I didn't mean that. I meant in business and as a musician.
Now I am more confused than ever. You are competitive. You participate in yoga and swimming but do not compete. I am sure that makes sense. I never thought of yoga as competitive.

But you do compete in business and as a musician. Somehow I have a hard time seeing music as competitive. I suppose if your music is high level performance that would be competitive. Certainly there is a high level of competition needed to be hired by an orchestra.

Maybe it is not that you are ditzy, but your style of communication is ... unusual.

Old 03-01-2018, 04:56 PM

6,297 posts, read 4,194,104 times
People in general seem to have a lot of ageist perceptions and stereotypes of people in the older years so I just don’t worry about it unless it’s directed at me personally. I had a memory like a seive when I was young so I don’t see that changing lol.

Most of the time people think I’m artistically very creative .

Old 03-01-2018, 05:20 PM

4,536 posts, read 3,754,482 times
I’ve mentioned before on here my English DIL told DS that I’m a bit potty. I’m not offended, because I realize why she thinks that and she’s not the only one.

My DH is used to me and has learned to fill in the blanks over the years. I think ahead but my speech doesn't keep up with my thought process. I was great at work with problem solving because I could see what would or could be happening with a plan for different outcomes. A good trait to be sure, except when I don’t fully communicate my thoughts. I skip several sentences in between or I will say the tail end of my train of thought, skipping over the first part, totally confusing people. Basically I don’t show my work when I’m talking. I’ll backtrack and explain when I see that puzzled or blank look.

DH sometimes acts as an interpreter of sorts, reminding me I am leaving out a key part of a story. I make what I see as logical leaps when I’m speaking, but apparently they are not. This isn’t anything age related, but I’m sure it will appear to be when I meet new people. “Poor dear and she seems so young”.

Last edited by jean_ji; 03-01-2018 at 05:48 PM..

Old 03-01-2018, 05:22 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,207,641 times
No more so than when I was a 20-year old beatnik.

Old 03-01-2018, 07:03 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,976,256 times
I don't think I'm ditzy, but I'm aware that the young people in my family are always watching and judging us as we get older, and at some point they will consider putting us in a home "for our own good."

So when the young ones come to visit, I make sure our house is spotless so they know that we old folks can take care of ourselves, and I keep lots of food on hand so they are sure we're not starving, and I don't have any cats in the house so they are sure I'm not becoming a cat lady, stuff like that. They are ever vigilant.

Old 03-01-2018, 07:35 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,252,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
People in general seem to have a lot of ageist perceptions and stereotypes of people in the older years so I just don’t worry about it unless it’s directed at me personally. I had a memory like a seive when I was young so I don’t see that changing lol.

Most of the time people think I’m artistically very creative .
My mom (actually stepmom, but she was mom) was 91 when she died and she was as sharp mentally right up until the day she died as she ever was. I find that amazing. Too bad everyone can't be like that. She had congestive heart failure, but her mind was 100%. My dad was actually younger than her but he did have cognitive decline and seemed older.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement