U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 11:43 AM

23,747 posts, read 8,251,498 times

Advertisements

Surgeries and replacements are in fashion. I deal with bodywide OA but one hip replacement in 2010 left me with 3 major complications, so knee surgery is something I want so badly to avoid. But people do them every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2018, 12:02 PM

1,836 posts, read 786,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
I just did a drug comparison on Google.

The two drugs the doctor is concerned about both take away from the positive effect of the particular drug prescribed. The two meds were Meloxicam and Metoprolol succ. They also can cause an increase in level of potassium in my blood.

I will do more searching for information.
And the Meloxicam can reduce the Metoprolol's ability to reduce your blood pressure which can be serious. Also avoid advil and aleve. Stick to Tylenol

Old 03-01-2018, 12:38 PM

1,183 posts, read 761,331 times
Quote:
I'm 75 and have been retired for almost 8 years.

I've been taking a pain medication for arthritis. I've taken it for a very long time. Have had a few accidents over the years that are probably how it got started. I'm starting with a new doctor in a couple of weeks. I called their office to get a refill on the medication. The next day I got a call from the doctor's office telling me I needed to stop the pain med immediately. I have also been taking a blood pressure medication for a while and new doctor's office said they are not a good combination.

I am wondering why no other doctor I've had over the years didn't see this. Why have I been allowed to keep taking both meds without a word of caution.

Now, I'm feeling the arthritis more than ever and need to get some Tylenol for arthritis that has been recommended by the new doctor. Has anyone had this experience? Are you taking anything to manage your arthritic pain?

I am hoping this does not get moved from retirement since this is affecting me now at my retirement age.

Thanks.
so this office, without seeing you, has told you to stop a regimen that has been working?

is you BP under control? has your K+ been too high?

they are basing a recommendation on what exactly? this doc hasn't even examined you.

Old 03-01-2018, 01:07 PM

5,392 posts, read 6,535,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
I also take those medicines. I will ask son and DIL who are pharmacist s

For me Advil works better than Meloxicam. Son recommends naproxen for me btw
DIL says the mix can result in minor problem but she will check further when she gets off work. Is a matter of risk management vs benefit gained.

Good luck

Old 03-01-2018, 01:20 PM

23,747 posts, read 8,251,498 times
What about increased blood pressure and naproxen.

Naproxen's effect on blood pressure - latimes

A friend has been taking Napersyn (sp) script as she's had a couple back surgeries in her life...as far as I know she's OK but I haven't asked her lately.

Many they all increase blood pressure.

Old 03-01-2018, 01:29 PM

7,100 posts, read 3,460,546 times
If you go to Dr. A for pain meds and Dr. B for BP and you don't make it clear on your history that you take both, it will fall through the cracks.

One of the better ideas under Obamacare was the requirement that your medical health history reside in ONE place regardless of your doctors or your pharmacies.

I don't know if that medical records requirement is still in effect (it was adopted as part of Ocare but was to take several years to establish the database).

Old 03-01-2018, 03:05 PM

2,202 posts, read 1,345,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier1976 View Post
No they are all quite different. Some are better than others and some have long term use side effects that are harmful. Tylenol and Advil are two that have long term use warning. Aspirin is also a NSAID and it has its good and bad side effects. I currently use Naproxen as it has the least problems for me.
Tylenol is NOT an NSAID. It can help alleviate pain but does not help with inflammation like the NSAIDs do. It does not "thin" the blood like aspirin.

Another place to check drug interactions is drugs.com

Old 03-01-2018, 03:16 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,243,341 times
I spoke with a pharmacist this afternoon.

I asked him about Meloxicam and Etodolac.

He stated they both need to be closely watched when a patient is using it. Please, I don't understand the chemistry of things...... that is why I did consult with the pharmacist. I'm taking his word for it as I believe he knows more about it than I do. They may differ in some of their ingredients, but overall, still need to be watched.

It was explained to me that the Meloxicam (or Etodolac) can have the effect of reducing what the blood pressure medicine in being taken for.

old fed: Thank you for making a good point. But the new doctor is replacing a P.A. I was seeing in same practice. She may have not examined me but she has been privy to test results, etc.

Old 03-01-2018, 03:59 PM

6,620 posts, read 3,748,154 times
Quote:
I'm 75 and have been retired for almost 8 years.

I've been taking a pain medication for arthritis. I've taken it for a very long time. Have had a few accidents over the years that are probably how it got started. I'm starting with a new doctor in a couple of weeks. I called their office to get a refill on the medication. The next day I got a call from the doctor's office telling me I needed to stop the pain med immediately. I have also been taking a blood pressure medication for a while and new doctor's office said they are not a good combination.

I am wondering why no other doctor I've had over the years didn't see this. Why have I been allowed to keep taking both meds without a word of caution.

Now, I'm feeling the arthritis more than ever and need to get some Tylenol for arthritis that has been recommended by the new doctor. Has anyone had this experience? Are you taking anything to manage your arthritic pain?

I am hoping this does not get moved from retirement since this is affecting me now at my retirement age.

Thanks.
I try to be proactive and look up these things myself. I don't think it's wise to rely ONLY on what one doctor tells me. You can look up those medications online and see for yourself how they interact with other medications.

That said, I have mild osteoarthritis. I'm 64. I take Aleve (naproxyn) only on occasion. It's hard on the stomach. Sometimes I take Ibuprofen...only occasionally. It's not as hard on the stomach, but doesn't work as well as naproxyn. Still, it seems to work okay.

But I try not to take any medication, if possible.

You know, you can try an anti-inflammatory diet. There are people who eat an anti-inflammatory diet & swear it works wonders. There are certain foods that help and certain foods that aggravate arthritis.

Yoga supposedly helps arthritis. I used to do a bit of yoga. I can see where it might help.

Old 03-01-2018, 04:18 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,243,341 times
^^^bpollen:^^^^^ Thank you for this. I will look into the diet. I can stand to lose some pounds, too, and maybe this is a way to do it.

I have OA pretty much throughout my body. Unfortunately I've had a few bad accidents that I am sure brought on these problems. I've had x-rays that showed more arthritis than the doctor expected.

Pretty sure I have a high pain threshold.... when I had my knee replacement I was determined to get past the pain and I did a good job of it. Had a couple of surgical extractions of two molars, never felt any pain. Dentist was surprised about that.

I think in many cases it is mind over matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement