U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 05:30 PM

1,183 posts, read 762,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
I spoke with a pharmacist this afternoon.

I asked him about Meloxicam and Etodolac.

He stated they both need to be closely watched when a patient is using it. Please, I don't understand the chemistry of things...... that is why I did consult with the pharmacist. I'm taking his word for it as I believe he knows more about it than I do. They may differ in some of their ingredients, but overall, still need to be watched.

It was explained to me that the Meloxicam (or Etodolac) can have the effect of reducing what the blood pressure medicine in being taken for.

old fed: Thank you for making a good point. But the new doctor is replacing a P.A. I was seeing in same practice. She may have not examined me but she has been privy to test results, etc.
you're welcome.

overall, the warnings for meloxicam/NSAIDS and beta blockers are just that, warnings. they are not contraindications. the info you received from the pharmacist sounds reasonable. keeping a weather eye on things is always a good idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2018, 06:52 PM

5,429 posts, read 3,452,633 times
I think Advil (which is ibuprofen) is wildly more effective for arthritis than Tylenol (which is acetaminophen).

Tylenol does not even begin to touch my arthritis, while Advil certainly does.

Advil (ibuprofen) is an anti-inflammatory.

Old 03-01-2018, 06:56 PM

6,125 posts, read 9,086,149 times
I had to quit all NSAIDs because I ended up with stomach ulcers. But they really really helped with my back pain. I was taking 2 Advil 3 x a day. During the endo, they also found Barretts Esophagas, a pre cancer condition so I have to be really watchful about meds for arthritis. On top of it, acid reflux plagues me too. I am a mess and can only use Tylenol now.

Old 03-01-2018, 07:20 PM

This product Turmeric Curcumin seems to be helping. (contains the needed black pepper for good absorption)

Turmeric is recommended for arthritis and a healthy heart.

I like this one because it has 1350mg of Turmeric (a good dose) and 150mg of Turmeric Extract.

https://www.nutrachamps.com/products...g-180-capsules (available on Amazon.com)

Old 03-01-2018, 07:22 PM

4,676 posts, read 3,248,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
I think Advil (which is ibuprofen) is wildly more effective for arthritis than Tylenol (which is acetaminophen).

Following my eye surgery my ophthalmologist advised me to take Tylenol. Today at the pharmacy, the pharmacist advised me to take Tylenol for arthritis. I do what I can to maintain the health I have and like to stay within those limits.

I guess it is all a matter of what works for one may not work for the other.

Old 03-01-2018, 07:26 PM

4,676 posts, read 3,248,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
I had to quit all NSAIDs because I ended up with stomach ulcers. But they really really helped with my back pain. I was taking 2 Advil 3 x a day. During the endo, they also found Barretts Esophagas, a pre cancer condition so I have to be really watchful about meds for arthritis. On top of it, acid reflux plagues me too. I am a mess and can only use Tylenol now.

Sorry to hear you are dealing with so much. I also have heartburn but to my knowledge not Barretts esophagus. But I haven't been tested tho I think that could be happening soon once I see the new doctor and explain what's going on with me. A long-time-ago doctor told me I had a hiatus hernia but was never tested for that. So I may be in for a few surprises.

Old 03-01-2018, 09:37 PM

6,410 posts, read 3,358,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
Yikes! I am so sorry you you are dealing with all this.
Were both these conditions caused by the NSAIDs?
And would you mind telling us how long you took that dose of Advil consistently for?

I ask because I am struggling like so many other posters here on how to safely use the NSAIDs.
They REALLY work, and I feel I can avoid back surgery, but they do a number on my stomach, so I am currently limiting them to just one or two days a week to give me a day or two of relief.

I am currently taking meloxicam because it lasts for 24 hours and seems easier on my stomach than ibuprofen or naproxen. The odd thing with meloxicam is it doesn't kick in for many hours compared to ibuprofen that kicks in in an hour, but when it does kick in it really works, and if I take it two days in a row even more relief.

Also, did you take the Advil on a full stomach each time? I was told that makes a big difference.

It's clear from all the posts here that one of our biggest challenges in aging is learning safe pain management......

Old 03-01-2018, 10:07 PM

6,071 posts, read 9,533,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post

DH and I find this is very individual.

For my screamingly-painfull TMJ, ibuprofen is my very welcome friend. It also works well for my (mild, occasional) OA. For just a headache, aspirin works well for me. DH finds that ibuprofen does nothing for any of his aches and pains, and warns that it's hard on the liver so maybe not suitable for frequent, ongoing use.

He uses naproxen for his aches and pains unless he has access to Celebrex-alike. For me, naproxen does nothing at all.

(He is a biochemistry major and spent several years selling pharmaceuticals, so he has knowledge of both the facts and the hype.)

Old 03-01-2018, 10:15 PM

6,410 posts, read 3,358,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post

He uses naproxen for his aches and pains unless he has access to Celebrex-alike. For me, naproxen does nothing at all.

(He is a biochemistry major and spent several years selling pharmaceuticals, so he has knowledge of both the facts and the hype.)
Does he think Celebrex is more safe than the NSAIDs?

Old 03-01-2018, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post

For my screamingly-painfull TMJ, ibuprofen is my very welcome friend. It also works well for my (mild, occasional) OA. For just a headache, aspirin works well for me. DH finds that ibuprofen does nothing for any of his aches and pains, and warns that it's hard on the liver so maybe not suitable for frequent, ongoing use.

It's actually Tylenol which can be hard on the liver, mostly in higher doses. And one should not mix drinking with Tylenol, as that can produce liver damage.

I would not choose Celebrex - too many side effects including possible cardiovascular problems. Also I took it a very long time ago and found it completely ineffective for me. It also reminds me too much of Vioxx and Bextra for arthritis which were taken off the market due to their dangers, mostly cardiovascular problems.

"Celebrex, a closely related drug also made by Pfizer, from the class of pain relievers known as Cox-2 inhibitors, will be allowed to remain on the market. But it will be forced to carry strict new warnings alerting doctors and patients that it elevates the risk of heart attacks and strokes, the FDA says."
https://www.webmd.com/arthritis/news...gets-warning#1

“Acetaminophen (Tylenol) can damage the liver. The safe upper limit of normal is 3,250 milligrams (mg) a day — about 10 regular-strength acetaminophen tablets, but that might be too much for some people. Large doses are the main risk, but there are reports of people developing liver problems after taking small to moderate amounts of acetaminophen for long periods of time. Drinking alcohol while taking acetaminophen can also cause liver damage.

Acetaminophen is an ingredient in many over-the-counter cold and headache medications. Some people may be taking more of the drug than they realize because of these "hidden sources.”

https://www.health.harvard.edu/pain/...pain-relievers

Last edited by matisse12; 03-01-2018 at 10:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement