U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 10:39 PM

6,075 posts, read 9,540,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Does he think Celebrex is more safe than the NSAIDs?
Yes. It's less stress on the liver, he says.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2018, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
It's actually Tylenol which can be hard on the liver. And one should try not to mix drinking with Tylenol, as that can be hard on the liver.

I would not choose Celebrex - too many side effects including possible cardiovascular problems. Also I took it a very long time ago and found it completely ineffective for me. It also reminds me too much of Vioxx and Bextra for arthritis which were taken off the market due to their dangers, mostly cardiovascular problems.

"Celebrex, a closely related drug also made by Pfizer, from the class of pain relievers known as Cox-2 inhibitors, will be allowed to remain on the market. But it will be forced to carry strict new warnings alerting doctors and patients that it elevates the risk of heart attacks and strokes, the FDA says."
https://www.webmd.com/arthritis/news...gets-warning#1
Absolutely. It's all about individual reactions.

Old 03-01-2018, 11:50 PM

14,547 posts, read 17,563,101 times
One thing I have discovered about doctors is they don't ask all the questions they should. Thanks to the damage from an ongoing auto-immune condition, there were three major surgeries. If a pill had a coating, it wasn't going to do anything as it wouldn't have time to breakdown enough. I'd ask the doctor what form it came in. I carefully tell doctors why I ask and and the'd look perplexed. I guess it never came up, or others didn't bother. But unless they are setting things up for this person being your doctor on paper and ongoing, nobody ever asked if there were any unusual conditions they should know about. And I was generally looked at as if I was being annoying. Even one situation, where the med in consideration, was a prime part of treatment, the pill was a capsule with time release layers. I could tell if it worked, and knew it was very unpredictable, and likely nothing. When I gave up on them, and tried alternate meds of the more natural variety which did work, one doctor who was filling in did get it. Kinda late, though.

Knowledge is your friend. Spend some time on research. Also look at all the off label versions and their reactions. If anything clicks, print it out and let the doctor read it. If they have to do something different, then its a good education for the next problem patient.

I think many doctors who are rushed and have pressure to get them in and out fast don't consider that you the patient deserve to explain the problems and be given the proper attention.

The internet is at your fingernails, so if someone says take this or don't take this, you can research any of them from the fda papers to pages and pages of user reviews, problems, and concerns which are not often addressed by doctors as they feel they are 'minor'. 'Minor' is really up to YOU. If you wish to put up with side effects is also up to you. If there are two risks, if you will take pain over that risk is also up to you.

But first spend a few hours looking up the options on your computer and see them with knowledge and able to ask the right questions, and see if the really answer them.

Arm yourself with knowledge and tell the doctor why. If they won't listen, find one who will. If I'd pushed it early with mine, if we'd had the internet to look all this up so easily, I might have gotten REAL help long before. Find out all you can and especially under unusual circumstances, and tell the doctor. And if something isn't working, take up their time at your visit so it might sink in a little better.

Old 03-01-2018, 11:54 PM

5,429 posts, read 3,456,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post

Absolutely. It's all about individual reactions.
No, it's about scientific evidence, in the topic I am discussing now, which are possible harmful effects to the liver or damage to the liver of Tylenol at higher doses or when mixed with alcohol.

Last edited by matisse12; 03-02-2018 at 12:28 AM..

Old 03-02-2018, 12:02 AM

14,547 posts, read 17,563,101 times
Quote:
No, it's about scientific evidence, in the topic we are discussing now, which are harmful effects or damage to the liver of Tylenol at higher doses or when mixed with alcohol.
It's still also about individual reactions as the chemistry of the patient may differ from 'normal'. And some foods can effect it as well but its seldom considered. It's about the harmful effects or damage of THIS one person which may not be 'normal'.

Old 03-02-2018, 12:07 AM

5,429 posts, read 3,456,960 times
I give up. A poster inaccurately and erroneously posts that Ibuprofen is 'hard on the liver' when it's actually Tylenol (acetaminophen) which can be hard on the liver at higher doses or when mixed with alcohol.

Ibuprofen can be hard on the kidneys; Ibuprofen is not hard on the liver.

Last edited by matisse12; 03-02-2018 at 12:27 AM..

Old 03-02-2018, 06:22 AM

4,800 posts, read 4,853,880 times
Quote:
I give up. A poster inaccurately and erroneously posts that Ibuprofen is 'hard on the liver' when it's actually Tylenol (acetaminophen) which can be hard on the liver at higher doses or when mixed with alcohol.

Ibuprofen can be hard on the kidneys; Ibuprofen is not hard on the liver.
Excellent I had forgotten Tylenol in my post. Thanks for bringing those out as well.

Old 03-02-2018, 07:45 AM

2,303 posts, read 2,687,868 times
Quote:
Celebrex is an NSAID.

Old 03-02-2018, 09:21 AM

I stand corrected. Ibuprofen is hard on the kidneys.

DH does believe Celebrex-alike is less hard on one's system than ibuprofen, tylenol, etc. Whether or not it's strictly speaking an NSAID I don't know or really care.

Yes, it's about the science. And also, it's about individual reactions.

Old 03-02-2018, 09:27 AM

1,183 posts, read 763,640 times
Quote:
celebrex is an NSAID
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement