U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-02-2018, 10:46 AM
 
508 posts, read 303,162 times
Reputation: 2492

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
Doctors now a days, are so afraid of lawsuits, they pass the buck and send everyone to a specialist, or do a ton of test...to cover thenselves
Mostly incorrect. The main reason for all the "medicine" is they can charge for it and scare you into paying for it. It is nearly impossible to sue a doctor for malpractice. No, doctors being afraid of lawsuits is like talking about "poor farmers." All this is from personal family experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-02-2018, 11:02 AM
 
Location: VT; previously MD & NJ
2,184 posts, read 1,340,059 times
Reputation: 6291
Then there are situations like a friend of mine who just turned 80. She has an ongoing heart problem and then developed severe pain on her side. She was ready to give up and just let nature take it's course. A friend of hers insisted she go to a doctor... she took her. Turned out to be a gall stone which was easily taken care of. I don't remember what the treatment was, but it was not surgery (her gall bladder had been removed many years earlier).

Anyway, my point is, it is worth getting checked out when a problem occurs because it may be something that is not life-threatening and could be a relatively easy fix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2018, 11:14 AM
 
1,812 posts, read 1,136,829 times
Reputation: 2412
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
Maybe your sick & tired LOL
Back in the old days, I used to tell people that "I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2018, 11:18 AM
 
122 posts, read 59,427 times
Reputation: 269
What we have to remember is: "Doctors are not responsible for our heath...we are!" Doctors are not into health they are into sickness...use them sparingly. I'm not suggesting not going to a doctor; however, they should only be used for intense pain, swelling, bleeding, if you break a bone, etc.,...not for immortality because they can't make us immortal. We know our body better than anyone else. Be friends with the body and like someone in this thread wrote that our body is like a vehicle. You should keep it in good condition as much as possible, but eventually it will give out!! I love the title of this thread "I'm not sick---I'm old!"....GREAT....! There are deep philosophical connotations with those words.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2018, 11:24 AM
 
Location: Southern California
23,644 posts, read 8,227,438 times
Reputation: 15437
I'm not sick, I'm OLDer and deal with arthritis.

I've been my own doctor for the last 25 yrs when I started working with supplements....to supplement what my body is depleting...so simple to understand this...and yet many naysayers argue and attack supplements.

They go do the doctors for every pain and some issue -- NOT ME. Aches and pains are part of aging if you are still alive.

I have a friend turning 91 soon and into supplements in the last 15 yrs or so and especially since we've met, and each and every time she goes to a conventional MD with some issue, she brings home a rx and then looks up all the possible side effects and DOES NOT fill the rx...then goes to her research with all the health newsletters she receives. She not on the net and that is too bad, but I know many older folks who are not on the net.

For every issue I swear there are supplements that can help us and NO side effects....antiobiotics being the exception. And breaks and emergencies for whatever.

I even know some with cancers who do their own therapies as there is so much on this issue too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2018, 11:25 AM
 
Location: Southern California
23,644 posts, read 8,227,438 times
Reputation: 15437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Propop View Post
What we have to remember is: "Doctors are not responsible for our heath...we are!" Doctors are not into health they are into sickness...use them sparingly. I'm not suggesting not going to a doctor; however, they should only be used for intense pain, swelling, bleeding, if you break a bone, etc.,...not for immortality because they can't make us immortal. We know our body better than anyone else. Be friends with the body and like someone in this thread wrote that our body is like a vehicle. You should keep it in good condition as much as possible, but eventually it will give out!! I love the title of this thread "I'm not sick---I'm old!"....GREAT....! There are deep philosophical connotations with those words.
We were posting at the same time, and I basically said the same things that you say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2018, 11:25 AM
 
Location: Towson, MD
189 posts, read 106,571 times
Reputation: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallstaff View Post
Mostly incorrect. The main reason for all the "medicine" is they can charge for it and scare you into paying for it. It is nearly impossible to sue a doctor for malpractice. No, doctors being afraid of lawsuits is like talking about "poor farmers." All this is from personal family experience.
Completely untrue! Medical professionals are sued ALL the time, and in most cases, suits are settled to avoid a jury trial no matter the validity of the case. Suits are frequent, whether justified or not, causing malpractice premiums to rise, causing doctor's fees to increase.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2018, 11:29 AM
 
508 posts, read 303,162 times
Reputation: 2492
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjf1958 View Post
Completely untrue! Medical professionals are sued ALL the time, and in most cases, suits are settled to avoid a jury trial no matter the validity of the case. Suits are frequent, whether justified or not, causing malpractice premiums to rise, causing doctor's fees to increase.
Completely untrue. I am not going to see something work in practice and wonder if it works in theory.

Sure... somewhere out there, it's a big world and I'm sure somebody is being sued yadda yadda. I covered that and all imaginable contingencies and counter arguments with my original words.

Enjoy the weather, it's a nice day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2018, 11:45 AM
 
Location: Southern California
23,644 posts, read 8,227,438 times
Reputation: 15437
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallstaff View Post
Mostly incorrect. The main reason for all the "medicine" is they can charge for it and scare you into paying for it. It is nearly impossible to sue a doctor for malpractice. No, doctors being afraid of lawsuits is like talking about "poor farmers." All this is from personal family experience.
I've been told by a few attorneys that it's very very difficult to sue doctors ... I really strongly feel my recent staph infection could have been a malpractice case, my feeling as I live with the aftermath.. Team of doctors were negligent in finding the infection and hence kept me in rehabs for close to 3 months with a staph infection going on. My knee is pretty damaged. The law offices told me one almost has to be limbless or close to death.

I even had a patient's advocate spend about 6 weeks with my grievance and the doctors would NOT admit to their negligence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2018, 11:55 AM
 
Location: middle tennessee
1,924 posts, read 987,556 times
Reputation: 6929
I have friends who are afraid that doctors will quit taking Medicare patients and that they won't be able to see a doctor when/if they need one if they don't do what the doctor says. Reg appts, tests. etc.


An 88 year old friend went through a round of heart doctor visits because she mentioned that her chest hurt when she had bronchitis. No history of heart disease. Someone had written "c/o chest pain" on the top of her chart. She had several trips (and complained a lot) to various cardiologists before they declared her heart to be healthy. She still thinks she has something wrong because she had to see all those doctors. She lives alone and manages fine, but she sure did enjoy the attention she got from her family.


Also have known many people who used doctor appts to spend time with their children, especially if it meant going into the city to see a specialist and having lunch.


I think personality sends people to the doctor as much as health. Once you get to going regular and complaining regular, because that's what doctor visits are for, aren't they?, and you accumulate a few prescriptions with their own issues, you are trapped.


I find the whole business confusing. I would be more convinced if people who saw the doctor more often got well. I don't blame the doctors. Telling someone to do this or don't do that rarely makes the patient as happy as another rx.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top